Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

These quotes are key to why he is the man for job, and it's clear the board plan to support his plans and give him the resources required.

“He inspired us with not only his short-term plans to reshape the squad and adapt the style, but his medium to long-term vision around a fully integrated club and we felt this matched how we see the future of the club.

“We think he will bring many qualities to the job that he has demonstrated running the biggest department at the club for almost five years and it’s abundantly clear to us that he has the support and buy-in of the current squad and staff.

“We are going to have a busy few weeks and months ahead, but the board will give Steven all the support we can to be successful.”

He wouldn't have been my first choice but he will get every bit of backing from me.i like how he's mentioned yet again that we need new players and that he's been identifying targets in case he got the job,he clearly feels the team isn't good enough which is absolutely true,let's hope he gets the right backing from the board to make that happen.

5 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

I don't understand those advocating Malky Mackay for the job. Has his racism, homophobia and misogyny been forgotten already?

Personally I’m of the belief everyone can learn from their mistakes, otherwise what’s the point.

As with every appointment it will divide opinion but what we do have is a manager that knows the club inside out and already identified the problems we have.

What we as fans need to do is give him a chance and realise this isn't going to be a quick fix. Let's get right behind him and the team and cut out the idiotic shouts at games. So many "experts" at the games that seem to know what team should be doing.

Happy enough with Hammell but seems safe option from club but I am prepared to give him a chance, a man that played over 500 times for us and one of the all time legends....COYW

• Like 1

The appointment probably makes a lot of sense, financially too. He’s a Club legend, loves the club, knows it inside out and knows what the fans are like.

i think everyone will be rooting for him so let’s see how he does.

he also must know what a good winger requires after coming  up against so many, so hopefully he’ll source a good one…. Or two

Given who was on the shortlist this is the best appointment. Simo was too big a risk considering our current position and the other candidates were poor. Hammell's only job this season is to keep us up which will be very difficult. 

Hopefully the lack of interest in the job from credible managers gives Burrows and the other key decision makers at the club a kick up the arse regarding our transfer policy. We have been burning piles of cash on dross for too long and it's left us in a very precarious position. Something has to change on that front. No more Effords, no more Grimmys, no more Niernolds, Ojalas, Sloths.

• Like 2

Like others this wasn’t my preferred choice but it’s Hammell who’s got the job and we need to get behind him.

He’s got a huge job on his hands and I’m sure that every Motherwell fan wishes him the very best of luck. He’s given his all to the club for over two decades and he will do the same again as manager.

Good luck Stevie

12 minutes ago, mio said:

The appointment probably makes a lot of sense, financially too. He’s a Club legend, loves the club, knows it inside out and knows what the fans are like.

i think everyone will be rooting for him so let’s see how he does.

he also must know what a good winger requires after coming  up against so many, so hopefully he’ll source a good one…. Or two

" He knows what the fans are like " and he still wanted the job...he's mad ... ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 'WellMagic! said:

I know this appointment probably makes sense, but I can't help but feel it's a bit uninspired. 

Feeling rather deflated about it and I'm not sure why. 

None of the names mentioned were inspiring. I certainly wasnt excited about Valikari, Lambert, Thomson and the like ... The market we operate in its highly unlikely to get someone to excite anyone.

10 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Given who was on the shortlist this is the best appointment. Simo was too big a risk considering our current position and the other candidates were poor. Hammell's only job this season is to keep us up which will be very difficult. 

Hopefully the lack of interest in the job from credible managers gives Burrows and the other key decision makers at the club a kick up the arse regarding our transfer policy. We have been burning piles of cash on dross for too long and it's left us in a very precarious position. Something has to change on that front. No more Effords, no more Grimmys, no more Niernolds, Ojalas, Sloths.

We don't know who expressed an interest. There could have been some great applications but  outside our budget. The club are not in a precarious position. The Well society have cash reserves. The stadium had been updated using cheap Government funding and have played two games into a season. GA was punted to ensure we don't end up in a precarious position. Precarious is being Dundee up to their arse in debt and in the Championship.

50 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

dont see how we can have both with the candidates mentioned, anyone from outwith the scottish game wont have time to assess squad and get new faces in...if its hammy etc , they arent going to have the experience...the board and the new manager are already on a hiding to nothing with some posters

Merely an observation. Jobs for the boys thinking isn’t necessarily a hiding to nothing.

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell