Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

Hammell starts with my support like every other Motherwell manager but we've basically swapped out an experienced manager with a track record for an inexperienced manager with no track record and I think that highlights that no high quality candidate wanted to work with our squad, budget and toxic fan base.

When you fire someone you should have a plan to bring in a replacement.  I don't think we did and the club has meekly folded to the idiotic knee jerk roasters in our support.

Hopefully it works out for Stevie, the club and my season ticket investment but I think he has a very, very hard job ahead of him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On the face of it, it might look like a cautious and cheap option.

But what we now have is a young dynamic manager who has the Club's interest at heart. He has been in the Scottish game as a qualified coach for a good number of years and will have many decent contacts within the game. From his comments it is quite clear he was at odds with our style of play under Alexander and his team and is also well aware of the areas we must strengthen.  I wonder how long he would have stayed around if Alexander had remained?  The Board states resources will be made available to bring in new faces and so they need to follow through on that promise.

In better times this would more readily be seen as an exciting, brave appointment that augers well for the future of the Club. He clearly has a bond with the fans which hopefully will give him time to put his plans into practice. It may take time but the thought of watching his brand of football rather than the eye bleeding rubbish we have been subjected for months has me well on board. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

When you fire someone you should have a plan to bring in a replacement.  I don't think we did and the club has meekly folded to the idiotic knee jerk roasters in our support.

You don't exactly need to read between the lines to see it wasn't just the support who wanted Alexander out of the club. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 'WellMagic! said:

I know this appointment probably makes sense, but I can't help but feel it's a bit uninspired. 

Feeling rather deflated about it and I'm not sure why. 

I think it's always a difficult one when your club is looking to recruit a new manager, I started going to games when Tommy McLean was manager and when he left I remember the excitement of who it could be and I remember Guus Hiddink amongst many other names being touted for the job only for Alex McLeish to get announced. Since then for the best part it always seems to be guys with limited to no experience or a few who's stock has fallen drastically that get the gig. I remember being scunnered by the Stephen Robinson appointment, but I think that was mainly based on his Oldham experience.

Personally I'm glad it's not the likes of Malky Mackay or Neil Lennon, I woke up in a cold sweat this morning thinking about that this morning. For me Hammell ticks all the right boxes, yes it would have been great to have more experience but he'll know the current crop of youngsters well, he has made all the right noises in regards to the necessary changes that we could all see that were needed under Alexander, so lets see what he does in that regard in the next few weeks. No matter who was hired it would clearly be met with a mixed opinion.

19 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

We don't know who expressed an interest. There could have been some great applications but  outside our budget. The club are not in a precarious position. The Well society have cash reserves. The stadium had been updated using cheap Government funding and have played two games into a season. GA was punted to ensure we don't end up in a precarious position. Precarious is being Dundee up to their arse in debt and in the Championship.

We are in a precarious position in the league. We have probably the worst attack in the league along with St Mirren and the single worst defence in the league. We also have the most inexperienced manager. 

How much money we have in the bank won't matter if we finish bottom. It's also likely that when the transfer window closes fans are going to get pissed off that we spent millions levelling a perfectly fine pitch and are stuck watching Josh Morris and Joe Efford week in, week out. 

• Like 2

Burrows has to take some blame. When Alexander comes to you and asks for Paul McGinn point to Stephen O'Donnell's contract that he signed off on 12 months ago. When he wants Blair Spittal point to Cornelius, Goss and Slattery and ask how he fits in. When he wants 31 year old journeyman Morris just say no. We have only signed three players and we didn't need any of them. 

Managers are financially insulated from failure by the nature of their contracts, they cannot be allowed to control the club's budget with no oversight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Best wishes to Stevie Hammell.  It will be interesting to see how much patience his long service buys him with the support if he does not get off to a flying start. Interesting  as well to see who he signs to strengthen the squad.

I wish him good luck. I think he might need it because he has a mighty job on his hands.

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Burrows has to take some blame. When Alexander comes to you and asks for Paul McGinn point to Stephen O'Donnell's contract that he signed off on 12 months ago. When he wants Blair Spittal point to Cornelius, Goss and Slattery and ask how he fits in. When he wants 31 one year old journeyman Morris just say no. We have only signed three players and we didn't need any of them. 

Managers are financially insulated from failure by the nature of their contracts, they cannot be allowed to control the club's budget with no oversight. 

Its been suggested in some quarters that the working relationships between O"Donnell and Alexander had broken down but agree to the extent that we have two experienced players who can play in the same position.

I'm personally not very inspired by the Hamnell appointment or basically very much to do with the club at this point (and I don't often feel like that). The display on Saturday is probably part of that 

Hopefully Hammell can turn it around but tbh all he's going to have to do to keep his job is keep us a couple of spots above the relegation zone because let's face it that's what we expect given the way we play at times and that's not taking credit away from the times we have had bigger success.

Hopefully we will see a new striker asap.

My ideal appointment would be someone in the mould of Alex Neil or Eddie Howe, both were outstanding managers who knew the club, cared about the community feel.

Despite Stevie not having first team experience he ticked every other box and then some. He wants to see us develop youth and the community aspect of our club.  He also has a handle on the current issues with the team/squad.

Given we're light years away from having Alex Neil/Eddie Howe I'm enthused that we have given Stevie the opportunity do something like this.   

I'll be happy to avoid relegation scares  and start having something to cheer on and see a future with.  This should be a +3 year project with natural progression. 

13 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Disagree 100%. If anything the Board could be accused of being too loyal to Alexander...... and by all accounts serious consideration was given to making the change before the start of the season.

And this is a Board who having made that original decision and seeing no hint of improvement, then acted swiftly and decisively. And how do you know they had no plan B already in their minds? Facts suggest otherwise.  In a very short space of time they have sifted through over 70 applications (some perhaps invited), identified a short list of suitable applicants and conducted interviews. At the end of the day they have now announced the appointment of a young, qualified coach who has an in depth knowledge of the Scottish game and has Motherwell's best interest at heart.

I think change was very much in the minds of the Board, but being the Club we are, Alexander was given the opportunity to show he had the ability and support to turn things around.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Hammell starts with my support like every other Motherwell manager but we've basically swapped out an experienced manager with a track record for an inexperienced manager with no track record and I think that highlights that no high quality candidate wanted to work with our squad, budget and toxic fan base.

Hopefully it works out for Stevie, the club and my season ticket investment but I think he has a very, very hard job ahead of him.

Don't think it's case of club folding in, yes some of the fans in past few months been ridiculously OTT but change was needed, this wasn't just about Sligo, it is whole of 2022 form, etc etc. But everyone has their own views.

Hammell certainly saying the right things and hopefully will back them up with results and good signings. I will certainly give him the time to hopefully achieve this..COYW

Given the apparent paucity of options I am quite pleased with this appointment. 

We got out of jail with 3 points v St Mirren. We deserved a point at least against St Johnstone. I cannot speak to the St Mirren as I was not there, but I already saw positives in the St Johnstone game despite the result. We were on the front foot for most of the 2nd half and I saw more football trying to be played than in the previous few months +.  He cannot be blamed for the 2nd goal. That is squarely on our inept defence. 

I already saw someone saying he needs to finish top 6 to match Alexander. Technically correct, but gives you a backdrop to the unrealistic expectations of our fan base. Right now I would take more appealing football and 10th place as long as the mid to longer term starts to takes shape. 

Of course he is inexperienced. But then so is every successful Manager who starts out. He speaks well about our current status and clearly impressed the Board more than any other applicant. 

Helps being a Well legend but he gets my 100% backing. 

• Like 1

Congratulations, Steven Hammell.

This is a fine appointment, in my opinion. No other candidate knows the club better, it’s aims, aspirations, needs, than a man who has served it for over two decades with pride, commitment , professional integrity and skill. He, for me, epitomises what a Motherwell manager should be - he’s articulate, has a clear sense of how all the different elements that make up the complexity of a football club need to work in harmony and pull in a mutually understood direction. He commands the professional respect of the players, the board and the fans as well as the wider community. He is immersed in Motherwell and has shown loyalty and passion in his service. He is measured and thoughtful and has under recognised talent. I wish him every success and think we could do no better.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Disagree 100%. If anything the Board could be accused of being too loyal to Alexander...... and by all accounts serious consideration was given to making the change before the start of the season.

And this is a Board who having made that original decision and seeing no hint of improvement, then acted swiftly and decisively. And how do you know they had no plan B already in their minds? Facts suggest otherwise.  In a very short space of time they have sifted through over 70 applications (some perhaps invited), identified a short list of suitable applicants and conducted interviews. At the end of the day they have now announced the appointment of a young, qualified coach who has an in depth knowledge of the Scottish game and has Motherwell's best interest at heart.

I think change was very much in the minds of the Board, but being the Club we are, Alexander was given the opportunity to show he had the ability and support to turn things around.

The Board was fully aware of the strength of feeling of the fans re performances. They are fans themselves !

However you could not realistically fire a Manager who got you top 6 and into Europe. But I believe he would have been a goner end of last season had he not achieved Europe and indeed had we lost all our top 6 games. 

Sligo was painful but it may turn out to be a blessing if this is indeed a new dawn….

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hope Springs said:

Congratulations, Steven Hammell.

This is a fine appointment, in my opinion. No other candidate knows the club better, it’s aims, aspirations, needs, than a man who has served it for over two decades with pride, commitment , professional integrity and skill. He, for me, epitomises what a Motherwell manager should be - he’s articulate, has a clear sense of how all the different elements that make up the complexity of a football club need to work in harmony and pull in a mutually understood direction. He commands the professional respect of the players, the board and the fans as well as the wider community. He is immersed in Motherwell and has shown loyalty and passion in his service. He is measured and thoughtful and has under recognised talent. I wish him every success and think we could do no better.

And the same from me.  Congratulations Stevie!

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Given who was on the shortlist this is the best appointment. Simo was too big a risk considering our current position and the other candidates were poor. Hammell's only job this season is to keep us up which will be very difficult. 

Hopefully the lack of interest in the job from credible managers gives Burrows and the other key decision makers at the club a kick up the arse regarding our transfer policy. We have been burning piles of cash on dross for too long and it's left us in a very precarious position. Something has to change on that front. No more Effords, no more Grimmys, no more Niernolds, Ojalas, Sloths.

Is your reference to the poor candidate list based upon knowledge of applicants and interviewees or the social media rumours?

Hammy will get my backing 100%, he’s a Well legend and clearly has a plan which is great. My only worry is that he might be the cheap option, knowing how badly we need to strengthen the squad, it would help if we are skint.

I wonder if he might look to former players as options, I’m thinking Moult, Bowman, Shaun Hutchison, maybe Turnbull on loan depending on how likely he is to get game time for Celtic this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its the obvious choice, knows the club and players here atm I also like his vision its about making that happen my only concern is if he has the contacts to bring in the required quality of player in a short time knowing the reach of our scouting system and what its turned up so far.

He is not tried and tested but likewise he has not failed anywhere so who not to say he's the next Jurgen Klopp. 

Lets go Hammy and bring success to the mighty well

32 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I shall say this if he hasn't signed a natural left back that can  defend at Motherwell by the end of the transfer window then we are done for lol.

Genuinely this, both Carroll and McGinley are honking in different ways, plus injured.  Either we give youth a chance or get someone signed with a left foot who can play left back.   I wish Stevie luck, but it was the cheap option with no imagination in the candidate pool, almost like he was given the role and the others were a footnote. Something that's totally unlike the current board or Burrows to do...:whistle:

It think it was just about the worst possible time to be looking to appoint a new manager. The end of season manager merry go round has long finished and there haven’t been a lot of managers loosing their jobs in the last month or so to replenish the candidate pool.

In respect of the board having a plan in place, they surely had to have one. No one can look at the teams form from January and not be making serious contingency plans in the event of a bad start to the season. They were put in a very difficult position. On one hand how can you sack a manager that delivered top 6 and European qualification. If someone offered any of us that right now we bite their hands off for it. The other side of the coin is that this isn’t a paper exercise, how we got there is important. If we’d won 2 games in the first half of the season and then went on a rampage in the second half finishing 5th, the managers position would have been rock solid.

The decline in the quality of the squad has been stark. Losing Watt was terminal for us, he was our best player and his work rate and quality left us significantly weaker. We needed to maintain that squad and replace Watt (which is a near impossible task given we’d be taking a punt on someone, rather than buying the finished article). Instead we lost other members of the squad and the replacements have, as of yet, failed to live up to the challenge.

Hopefully we make some moves on the transfer market quickly. One name that I’ve been thinking about for a wee while is Mikey Johnston on loan. He was available on loan though not sure if he’s out of our budget, or if he’s already got something lined up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massive congratulations to Stevie Hammel .Time now to get fully behind him . If we can get through this season then I’m excited to see him develop his medium to long term approach . 
Feels like we’ve got our club back in good hands . 
The last 18 months or so felt like the oxygen was getting sucked out of the place .

It’s a tough gig as I’m sure he’s fully aware but I’m 100% behind him . 
Best of luck Stevie . 

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell