Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

I'm actually delighted for Stevie but he has his work cut out thats for sure. It's funny though as a poster was criticising the board for turfing oot an experienced one and replacing him with an inexperienced one, omitting the fact that we're in the mess because of said experienced manager.

It will be interesting to see where we are come the end of August in terms of player recruitment and perhaps a few moving on, I can't say I'm overly confident with the guy Daws recommending any future additions to Hammell.

A few folk have mentioned their concern for the left back berth, with both Carroll and McGinley out for the foreseeable I wouldn't be surprised to see Lamie fill in there but obviously he never got much joy when he last filled that position during the Covid season. Obviously we won't be privy to the budgets etc but hopefully he has plenty of scope to make the necessary changes he wants. Most of this side managed to do well up until Boxing Day last year even though the football wasn't too pretty but it just goes to show how losing one player can derail your season. You would hope that if we could add some quality it might give us all a positive outlook. 

Looking back at what happened with Lasley who went from Asst Manager to observer in the stand things were going downhill from  early on. I believe we now have a Motherwell Man in charge  but he will need all our backing. You could see the change in the pattern of play in the last two games but its impossible to make a silk purse out of a sows ear,  hopefully with a few quality additions we can kick on and have a successful season. 

Complaining about the timing of releasing Alexander, can you imagine the outrage if he was still here until Christmas and things  had got no better then released there would of been crys of why he was not sacked earlier. So timing was right for me and appointment is encouraging considering the circumstance we find our self in today 

4 minutes ago, maz said:

I'm actually delighted for Stevie but he has his work cut out thats for sure. It's funny though as a poster was criticising the board for turfing oot an experienced one and replacing him with an inexperienced one, omitting the fact that we're in the mess because of said experienced manager.

It will be interesting to see where we are come the end of August in terms of player recruitment and perhaps a few moving on, I can't say I'm overly confident with the guy Daws recommending any future additions to Hammell.

A few folk have mentioned their concern for the left back berth, with both Carroll and McGinley out for the foreseeable I wouldn't be surprised to see Lamie fill in there but obviously he never got much joy when he last filled that position during the Covid season. Obviously we won't be privy to the budgets etc but hopefully he has plenty of scope to make the necessary changes he wants. Most of this side managed to do well up until Boxing Day last year even though the football wasn't too pretty but it just goes to show how losing one player can derail your season. You would hope that if we could add some quality it might give us all a positive outlook. 

Lambie must never play left back again we've been there and seen what happens No No No. let SOD or McGinn play there or sign someone, perhaps Max Johnson can play left back. Carroll and McGinlay should be released, madness renewing their contracts last year just another Alexander mess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

When you fire someone you should have a plan to bring in a replacement.  I don't think we did and the club has meekly folded to the idiotic knee jerk roasters in our support.

Alexander wasn’t fired - he left by mutual consent.  I think it’s plain the club were surprised at this because they gave no indication they weren’t satisfied with his performance and why would they?  With a top 6 finish and qualification for European football they were probably highly chuffed.  They had only recently extended his contract, allowed him to cull the squad and bring in 3 new players.  So why would they need a plan to bring in a replacement.

I believe Alexander “engineered” his exit from the club in an attempt to protect his own image as evidenced by his spin in the media about having preserved the club’s top league status, gotten us into the top 6 and qualified for European football.  In his mind it allowed him to leave with nothing but plusses on his CV for his next job.

As for the appointment of Stevie Hammell - he was a fantastic player for us and a terrific servant to the club and of course I wish him well and he’ll have my support.  However I believe it’s a another gross error of judgement on the part of the board. There’s a vast difference between managing young academy players who, by and large will do as they are told and managing and trying to make something out of a squad of professionals, the vast majority of whom are bereft of the footballing ability required at the level in which they are operating.

I wish him all the luck in the world because he is going to need it.

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

None of the names mentioned were inspiring. I certainly wasnt excited about Valikari, Lambert, Thomson and the like ... The market we operate in its highly unlikely to get someone to excite anyone.

Valakari was my choice and he was moderately exciting for me. More managerial experience, both at the top of a league with a modest team, and at the bottom with Tromso. Then adding his experience managing in Europe, knowledge of Scottish football and general enthusiasm in applying three times. I'm not daft though, I know he was still a risk, the main one being he has no managerial experience in Scotland. However, Hammy has no experience managing anywhere.

On paper, various parts of the Hammell appointment makes sense, club history, finances, transition time, understanding of youth.  However, on the other hand, we're giving the job to Hammell and Kerr, two coaches with virtually zero experience at this level, at a time when our squad generally seems humped. We're also risking losing seemingly good academy coaches if everything goes tits up.

Simo with Hammell as assistant was what I was hoping for, it seemed like the best balance overall. 

In theory, Las would have been a better choice  After all, he applied twice before and was rejected on the grounds of not having enough experience. Unfortunately, Las at 'Well seems like another thing Alexander fucked up.

Again, more than happy to be proven wrong and he has my full backing. Wonder if or when we'll see Faddy join the coaching staff? 

1 minute ago, 'WellMagic! said:

In theory, Las would have been a better choice  After all, he applied twice before and was rejected on the grounds of bit having enough experience. Unfortunately, Las at 'Well seems like another thing Alexander fucked up.

That’s a very good point that’s been overlooked.  I always thought Lasley became assistant to Robinson with an eye to the future.  However Alexander’s arrival put the kibosh on that.  So having opted not to appoint from within on the basis of lack of experience why are we now backtracking?

21 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Lambie must never play left back again we've been there and seen what happens No No No. let SOD or McGinn play there or sign someone, perhaps Max Johnson can play left back. Carroll and McGinlay should be released, madness renewing their contracts last year just another Alexander mess

Agreed,as things stand lamie is our most reliable centre half,we would just be creating another problem by moving him to left back,him and mugabi should be nowhere near the full back positions.im not a big fan of a right footer at left back but would be happy enough to go with either odonnell or mcginn there as back up to hopefully a new signing and one that's better than McGinley or Carroll.

Our chairman has been quoted today as saying:

“He inspired us with not only his short-term plans to reshape the squad and adapt the style, but his medium to long-term vision around a fully integrated club and we felt this matched how we see the future of the club.”

Exactly wtf does “fully integrated club”mean?! :dontknow:

Just now, El Grew said:

“He inspired us with not only his short-term plans to reshape the squad and adapt the style, but his medium to long-term vision around a fully integrated club and we felt this matched how we see the future of the club.”

The only thing I can take from this, is that there must have been splits all over the place under Alexander.

Player fallouts, Las leaving, bringing in a lot of new staff, and signing players as backup when we have youth backup - it makes some sense. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Worth watching this , he covers it briefly in terms of more integration with both the youth coming through and also the local community . 

basically ensure we properly support and mentor the youth to give them a reason to stick around at 16 and not bugger ff

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2022/08/11/steven-hammell-speaks-for-the-first-time-as-motherwell-manager/

I was assuming it was something to do with brining the youth set up closer to the main squad. Not sure though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, El Grew said:

It means no separation and a route to the 1st team for academy players, coaches will work closer with 1st team, maybe even training will be joint

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell
2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Hopefully the lack of interest in the job from credible managers gives Burrows and the other key decision makers at the club a kick up the arse regarding our transfer policy. We have been burning piles of cash on dross for too long and it's left us in a very precarious position. Something has to change on that front. No more Effords, no more Grimmys, no more Niernolds, Ojalas, Sloths.

Absolutely this. 

If we do end up going down this season then it’ll be on Burrows and the board for allowing Robinson and then Alexander to blow so much of our meagre budget on absolute dross. When you look back at some of the absolute guff we’ve brought in over the last five years it is absolutely galling.

We are in big trouble this season and relegation is a distinct possibility. As I said before I reckon it’ll be between us and the two Saints clubs to avoid the bottom two spots and even though it’s early the signs are not good.

For Stevie Hammell it is a massive ask to keep this squad in the league. He has inherited an absolute pigs ear from the previous manager and those who allowed him to assemble it. Needless to say he is going to need all the luck he can get, as well as support and backing from both the fans and those in the boardroom.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Alexander wasn’t fired - he left by mutual consent.  I think it’s plain the club were surprised at this because they gave no indication they weren’t satisfied with his performance and why would they?  With a top 6 finish and qualification for European football they were probably highly chuffed.  They had only recently extended his contract, allowed him to cull the squad and bring in 3 new players.  So why would they need a plan to bring in a replacement.

I believe Alexander “engineered” his exit from the club in an attempt to protect his own image as evidenced by his spin in the media about having preserved the club’s top league status, gotten us into the top 6 and qualified for European football.  In his mind it allowed him to leave with nothing but plusses on his CV for his next job.

As for the appointment of Stevie Hammell - he was a fantastic player for us and a terrific servant to the club and of course I wish him well and he’ll have my support.  However I believe it’s a another gross error of judgement on the part of the board. There’s a vast difference between managing young academy players who, by and large will do as they are told and managing and trying to make something out of a squad of professionals, the vast majority of whom are bereft of the footballing ability required at the level in which they are operating.

I wish him all the luck in the world because he is going to need it.

These are my worries, it could go badly wrong. Let’s hope that’s not the case.

I am delighted for Hammy.

Listening to him talk about an integrated club is positive. Having staff work across all the squads is vital to develop continuity between the Academy and First Team and everything in between. This comment and vision suggest that Alexander was given free rein to do what he wanted, such as relegating Lasley,  filling the squad with shit from elsewhere and sticking with the same anti-football hoofball, and look how that ended. Making him King Alexander of MFC is what nearly killed us off. Our Club thrives when we are an enjoyable to watch but an average team who ocassionally punches above our weight. That approach is not compatibile with arrogance.

Appointing Hammy suggests to me that the Board now understand what the Club needs and what the fans want. Given we've already entered and been expelled from a Euro campaign and started our season, Hammy's other comments on the lack of fitness and required recruitment are unsurprising but a further damning indictment of the Alexander regime. I would expect Daws to also be mutually-consented soon and for the Board to have learned a very harsh and expensive lesson with the recent Alexander project.

Good riddance to Alexander the Failed.

2 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I hope Daws leaves then it might work  doesn't fill me with hope if he is still in charge of transfers.

think nick daws is getting a hard time , probably because of his association with ga....any transfer will have to be rubber stamped by manager, so ultimatelt its on manager if signings are poor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Personally I’m of the belief everyone can learn from their mistakes, otherwise what’s the point.

In football by the time you start to learn from your mistakes you have been punted and are unemployed, and typically you revert to type when and if you get another gig so the mistakes you made before will invariably happen again as you are convinced your approach is correct, then you get punted again and the merry go round continues ad infinitum.

Congratulations Stevie thoroughly deserved, it will not be easy, especially inheriting the players that we have and it will take a couple of transfer windows alone just to get a team that you will be happy with.

just as a footnote when David Martindale was made Manager at Livingston nobody would have heard of him never mind his capabilities and I hope and expect Stevie to have the same impact with us.