Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

4 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Personally I’m of the belief everyone can learn from their mistakes, otherwise what’s the point.

“The players will learn from this.”  “We will learn from this.”  “The players must learn from this.” “We will use this as a learning experience.” etc. etc. ad nauseam.

Phrases straight from the book of football manager double-talk and drivel that are continually trotted out when teams lose.  What a load of tripe.  Players at a certain level such as ours, never learn anything and they just continue to repeat the same mistakes time after time.

As Bill Shankly once said “Football is a terribly simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.”

He also said a football team is like a piano - you need 8 men to carry it and 3 who can play the damn thing.

Well at present all we have are piano carriers. Stevie needs to try somehow to get us 3 players.  Good luck Stevie.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

“The players will learn from this.”  “We will learn from this.”  “The players must learn from this.” “We will use this as a learning experience.” etc. etc. ad nauseam.

Phrases straight from the book of football manager double-talk and drivel that are continually trotted out when teams lose.  What a load of tripe.  Players at a certain level such as ours, never learn anything and they just continue to repeat the same mistakes time after time.

As Bill Shankly once said “Football is a terribly simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.”

He also said a football team is like a piano - you need 8 men to carry it and 3 who can play the damn thing.

Well at present all we have are piano carriers. Stevie needs to try somehow to get us 3 players.  Good luck Stevie.

My post was a reply to a comment about a potential manager with a bit of history.

Stevie's appointment has certainly split the support, if posts on these boards are anything to go by. I've no idea who applied for our vacancy or were approached by the Board but you have to call into question the overall quality of candidate.  I'd be a bit brassed off I had been approached by the club to apply and then not be granted an interview or be given the job. Thats no reflection on Stevie Hammell by the way - its simply that he's totally untried as a manager, and as such represents a huge gamble. He's used to managing young lads - how will he get on managing petulant senior pros or Big Time Charlies? How will he compete tactically with other managers?

Many cite his knowledge of the club as being an advantage and yes, it is in the short term. He says he wants to strengthen a couple of areas; hopefully he's being euphemistic when he says that. Many of us are hoping he starts a clear out - that would only be half the job.  He then has to bring in better replacements.  Remember Harri Kampmann? He certainly identified weak areas quickly and effciently and got shot of a good few. The problem was that he couldn't replace them with better quality.

Anyway, good luck to Stevie and he gets my 100% backing. He does sound enthusiastic about the task ahead. 

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Stevie's appointment has certainly split the support, if posts on these boards are anything to go by. I've no idea who applied for our vacancy or were approached by the Board but you have to call into question the overall quality of candidate.  I'd be a bit brassed off I had been approached by the club to apply and then not be granted an interview or be given the job. Thats no reflection on Stevie Hammell by the way - its simply that he's totally untried as a manager, and as such represents a huge gamble. He's used to managing young lads - how will he get on managing petulant senior pros or Big Time Charlies? How will he compete tactically with other managers?

Many cite his knowledge of the club as being an advantage and yes, it is in the short term. He says he wants to strengthen a couple of areas; hopefully he's being euphemistic when he says that. Many of us are hoping he starts a clear out - that would only be half the job.  He then has to bring in better replacements.  Remember Harri Kampmann? He certainly identified weak areas quickly and effciently and got shot of a good few. The problem was that he couldn't replace them with better quality.

Anyway, good luck to Stevie and he gets my 100% backing. He does sound enthusiastic about the task ahead. 

The evidence would suggest that Hammy's appointment is universally supported by the fans.  Why else would there no be a 'Hammell Out' thread started by now :lol:

• Like 1

The grizzlyg serious head says now is time for all of us to unite and get right behind Stevie and team. It wouldn't have mattered who got the job, there would still have been split opinion.  My dad was a well fan and so glad as it meant he had me going to games since Ajax friendly in 1977  onwards, no fun supporting old firm, always guaranteed a trophy at some point. Supporting Well is a rollercoaster full of lows but by jeez the highs are great (1991 Scottish cup, the cooper years, 2015 play off pumping of gers and plenty more).  Let's get the feelgood factor and cut out the negativity at games, yes it doesn't guarantee success but it's all part of the experience supporting this great club....... COYW 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

The grizzlyg serious head says now is time for all of us to unite and get right behind Stevie and team. It wouldn't have mattered who got the job, there would still have been split opinion.  My dad was a well fan and so glad as it meant he had me going to games since Ajax friendly in 1977  onwards, no fun supporting old firm, always guaranteed a trophy at some point. Supporting Well is a rollercoaster full of lows but by jeez the highs are great (1991 Scottish cup, the cooper years, 2015 play off pumping of gers and plenty more).  Let's get the feelgood factor and cut out the negativity at games, yes it doesn't guarantee success but it's all part of the experience supporting this great club....... COYW 

Well said mate, 100% agree although my dad was a Rangers fan so he never could understand why I went to Fir Park never regretted it for a minute.

50 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Well said mate, 100% agree although my dad was a Rangers fan so he never could understand why I went to Fir Park never regretted it for a minute.

My dad was a Rangers fan also though had not been to a live game for about 8 years and had become scunnered with the OF  , though quite the opposite as after he went to his first game with me supporting the Well he enjoyed it so much that he kept going back , bought the season ticket and was as glad as anyone when we won the playoffs

His last win seeing the Well at Hampden before he passed on was the 2-0 semi in 2017 which was a great day

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

My dad was a Rangers fan also though had not been to a live game for about 8 years and had become scunnered with the OF  , though quite the opposite as after he went to his first game with me supporting the Well he enjoyed it so much that he kept going back , bought the season ticket and was as glad as anyone when we won the playoffs

His last win seeing the Well at Hampden before he passed on was the 2-0 semi in 2017 which was a great day

Total respect and what a great last game to witness. My dad passed away in 2014 and last game we were at together was panathinaikos Champions league in 2012, obviously didn't win but what an occasion 

• Like 1

No idea whether Stevie Hammell is the right man for the job or not. But I would have felt exactly the same with any of the other candidates. I am 100% behind him however, and he will need out unconditional support if he is going to be able to turn us around. Good luck Stevie.

Perhaps the support he will get, because of who he is, will also give the players a bit of breathing room to get their confidence levels back up. If we are backing Stevie then we can’t really be booing players, so we may have to grit our teeth and grind through the next while, showing more positivity than we have as supporters of late. 

50 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Total respect and what a great last game to witness. My dad passed away in 2014 and last game we were at together was panathinaikos Champions league in 2012, obviously didn't win but what an occasion 

Respect also , and this was another great occasion despite the result 

Will always remember these type of games 

• Thanks 1

Let me pin my colours to the mast right now. In my opinion Hammell is the wrong appointment.

No managerial experience.  Only managed young boys.   No pressure with his current role.  No experience of what to do when a team is in free fall and how to sort it. I could go on.  So we had 70 applicants and seemingly whittled this down to 3 or 4 for interview.  With that amount I could possibly see getting it down to 10 and then having two rounds of interviews but to only interview 4 guys. Shockingly incompetent.

They just went through the motions and appointed the cheap option.  As I said earlier I didn't trust this hapless board of jokers to make the right decision and guess what they didn't disappoint.

Make no mistake this team is destined for a relegation battle. Does anyone seriously think this squad, regardless of tactics, is going to suddenly turn into football players. I said earlier we have two players earning their wages. Kelly and Van Veen. The rest will not do.

This  woeful squad is not Hammells fault, but being realistic he is going to have to see the season out with the majority of them. New faces in means wages being freed up by people leaving. Who is going to offer money for any of the crap in this current squad.

Hammell has to take points during August and early September because the games in late September into  October are Hearts, Celtic, Hibs, Rangers, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd. 

Good luck Stevie, you will need it.

11 hours ago, pretzel said:

I think it's always a difficult one when your club is looking to recruit a new manager, I started going to games when Tommy McLean was manager and when he left I remember the excitement of who it could be and I remember Guus Hiddink amongst many other names being touted for the job only for Alex McLeish to get announced. Since then for the best part it always seems to be guys with limited to no experience or a few who's stock has fallen drastically that get the gig. I remember being scunnered by the Stephen Robinson appointment, but I think that was mainly based on his Oldham experience.

Personally I'm glad it's not the likes of Malky Mackay or Neil Lennon, I woke up in a cold sweat this morning thinking about that this morning. For me Hammell ticks all the right boxes, yes it would have been great to have more experience but he'll know the current crop of youngsters well, he has made all the right noises in regards to the necessary changes that we could all see that were needed under Alexander, so lets see what he does in that regard in the next few weeks. No matter who was hired it would clearly be met with a mixed opinion.

Hammell ticks all the boxes that's a bold statement to make. Tell me the boxes. Do you honestly think introducing youngsters into the current shit storm is wise. If you do, you are deluded. If any of the youngsters were good enough I would have thought Hammell would have reported this to the previous regime. If he wasn't forceful or confident enough to do this doesn't bode well for his future as a manager.

I don't boo players or managers at all. I'm seeing a lot of comments on twitter and Facebook saying we have to get behind Stevie because he's a motherwell man through and through? What if he wasn't? I'm not rooting for him to do well because he's a motherwell legend as folk call it. I just hope he does the job he's there to do.

I think the entire club has gone off the boil lately tbh. I had a query I wanted answered. Nothing major. No answer on twitter including from Alan, no response to an email. Gave up in the end. I get that folk are busy but it was really noticeable to me that Alan didn't tweet in a week after the Sligo loss.

I'm not ready to throw the towel in with motherwell but I know some folk who are. I also think it must be speculation as to why Las left. He was offered a better job but everything is the fault of Alexander

Nah. Not buying that. If the board had wanted him in place he would have been manager before now.

I'd rather have taken the chance with Simo. Nothing about this appointment makes me enthusiastic. I do think Burrows and the board lack ambition and its visible. I'm probably still on a low after sitting through the shit show that was last weekend to be fair

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wellfan said:

These quotes are key to why he is the man for job, and it's clear the board plan to support his plans and give him the resources required.

“He inspired us with not only his short-term plans to reshape the squad and adapt the style, but his medium to long-term vision around a fully integrated club and we felt this matched how we see the future of the club.

“We think he will bring many qualities to the job that he has demonstrated running the biggest department at the club for almost five years and it’s abundantly clear to us that he has the support and buy-in of the current squad and staff.

“We are going to have a busy few weeks and months ahead, but the board will give Steven all the support we can to be successful.”

Can someone tell me what a "fully integrated club" is. If Burrows reads these posts please enlighten is what this entails. I won't hold my breath for anyone expanding on this brain numbing statement.