Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

6 minutes ago, ppower said:

Can someone tell me what a "fully integrated club" is. If Burrows reads these posts please enlighten is what this entails. I won't hold my breath for anyone expanding on this brain numbing statement.

You don't need to hold your breath, it was explained on the previous page, and Hammell spoke about it in his interview.

As for him not being 'forceful or confident enough' to press the case for his youngsters with the previous regime, how do you know he didn't? Alexander picked the first team, not Hammell.

10 hours ago, Hope Springs said:

Congratulations, Steven Hammell.

This is a fine appointment, in my opinion. No other candidate knows the club better, it’s aims, aspirations, needs, than a man who has served it for over two decades with pride, commitment , professional integrity and skill. He, for me, epitomises what a Motherwell manager should be - he’s articulate, has a clear sense of how all the different elements that make up the complexity of a football club need to work in harmony and pull in a mutually understood direction. He commands the professional respect of the players, the board and the fans as well as the wider community. He is immersed in Motherwell and has shown loyalty and passion in his service. He is measured and thoughtful and has under recognised talent. I wish him every success and think we could do no better.

Are you Stevie Hammells agent ???

Given his lack of experience, you have to think that the other people to apply and get interviewed must have failed to stack up.

Having said that, with the names that were being thrown about both on here and elsewhere, I ad pretty much come round to the idea that  Hammell was as good an option as any. From what I have seen of him, mainly as a player and recently in his temporary role as manager, he appears to be of sound character. As such, he is the kind of person I would wish to be in charge. He has given the club most of his career and there can be no doubt that he knows the club, understands the club and, dare I say it? loves the club. That is the sort of person I want to be in charge of my club. I know that this is both a  romanticized and unrealistic approach to what is a business, but we have tried serious and pragmatic with our last few managers and where has that got us? And now I think about it, you probably need a romanticised and unrealistic approach if you support a team like Motherwell.

I think Steven Hammell will give his all in his new post. I hope he sets us up to play with style and ambition and, in doing so,reaps the success that we all crave. He is fortunate to have a good idea of our youth setup, so hopefully he can utilise this and show that we are a club that can give young players a chance.

Who knows what the future will bring? Will it work out for the best or will we crash and burn?The one thing you can pretty much be sure of is that there will be downs as well as ups. I wish him all the best and every success. I am willing to get right behind him and know that if things do not go our way, it will not be for the want of trying! COYW!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Hammell starts with my support like every other Motherwell manager but we've basically swapped out an experienced manager with a track record for an inexperienced manager with no track record and I think that highlights that no high quality candidate wanted to work with our squad, budget and toxic fan base.

When you fire someone you should have a plan to bring in a replacement.  I don't think we did and the club has meekly folded to the idiotic knee jerk roasters in our support.

Hopefully it works out for Stevie, the club and my season ticket investment but I think he has a very, very hard job ahead of him.

Wheesht

6 hours ago, ppower said:

Make no mistake this team is destined for a relegation battle. Does anyone seriously think this squad, regardless of tactics, is going to suddenly turn into football players. I said earlier we have two players earning their wages. Kelly and Van Veen. 

Whether I agree with your general point that Hammell isn't necessarily the right appointment, you undermine your own argument if you come out with shite about how Van Veen is one of the players we can rely on.  Reliable isn't a word that should be used in a conversation about Kevin Van Veen...

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Whether I agree with your general point that Hammell isn't necessarily the right appointment, you undermine your own argument if you come out with shite about how Van Veen is one of the players we can rely on.  Reliable isn't a word that should be used in a conversation about Kevin Van Veen...

If it wasn't for his goals after Watt left we would have finished bottom six at best. Combined with his goals and Kelly's saves meant we didn't finish in the bottom two. Check the stats instead of spouting crap.

6 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

You don't need to hold your breath, it was explained on the previous page, and Hammell spoke about it in his interview.

As for him not being 'forceful or confident enough' to press the case for his youngsters with the previous regime, how do you know he didn't? Alexander picked the first team, not Hammell.

What he said merely stated how any competent professional club would be set up.  It's just the basics, nothing earth shattering or new. Sorry Stevie you appear to be too nice and reasonable a  guy to sort out the shit show you have inherited. Not your fault, that is the fault of the faceless people who run this club. Did I miss it or did anyone apart from Hammell  step forward to face the media and be I interviewed as to why they think they have gotten it right this time.  I would be interested to here from them. Nothing. Hiding in their bunkers. 

43 minutes ago, ppower said:

What he said merely stated how any competent professional club would be set up.  It's just the basics, nothing earth shattering or new. Sorry Stevie you appear to be too nice and reasonable a  guy to sort out the shit show you have inherited. Not your fault, that is the fault of the faceless people who run this club. Did I miss it or did anyone apart from Hammell  step forward to face the media and be I interviewed as to why they think they have gotten it right this time.  I would be interested to here from them. Nothing. Hiding in their bunkers. 

Might be nothing earth shattering or new, but it doesn't seem to be the way Alexander was running things. He got results - for a while - but there appears to have been little thought for where the club was going after he inevitably left. That's how we've ended up with this shit show Hammell's inherited. The fact he understands it can't continue, and wants to change how the club moves forward, is surely a positive. Whether he succeeds or not, we're all about to find out.

Personally, I'm not really interested in hearing the club's views on the appointment. Every board tells you they have the right guy, every time they hire a new manager, so what more would you expect to hear, beyond the statement they issued? 

All the best to Hammy.
Certainly speaks well and knows the club.

...I think peaople are being slightly harsh here about transfers etc - There seems to be castigation of Burrows/Board not being hands on enough in transfer policy.
Its entirely correct that they leave that down to scouts/manager and trust them with it. Manager will live/die by the decisions, as has happened.
The board can't be seen to be acting in a Romanov-esque manner and intervening/acting as Scouts and essentially selecting teams. It undermines those employed in such roles and the optics are terrible for prospective Managers etc

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AllyMax said:

If we'd just waited 24 hours we could have got paid to take Jack Ross :-)

this is the thing, ive read posters on here saying before last night how good jack ross would have been.....they looked a really poorly coached team . Iam sure he has some merits but until Scottish teams learn how to defend , they have no chances. The basics , like first to ball, going with runners arent difficult but do need some discipline.

9 hours ago, ppower said:

Let me pin my colours to the mast right now. In my opinion Hammell is the wrong appointment.

No managerial experience.  Only managed young boys.   No pressure with his current role.  No experience of what to do when a team is in free fall and how to sort it. I could go on.  So we had 70 applicants and seemingly whittled this down to 3 or 4 for interview.  With that amount I could possibly see getting it down to 10 and then having two rounds of interviews but to only interview 4 guys. Shockingly incompetent.

They just went through the motions and appointed the cheap option.  As I said earlier I didn't trust this hapless board of jokers to make the right decision and guess what they didn't disappoint.

Make no mistake this team is destined for a relegation battle. Does anyone seriously think this squad, regardless of tactics, is going to suddenly turn into football players. I said earlier we have two players earning their wages. Kelly and Van Veen. The rest will not do.

This  woeful squad is not Hammells fault, but being realistic he is going to have to see the season out with the majority of them. New faces in means wages being freed up by people leaving. Who is going to offer money for any of the crap in this current squad.

Hammell has to take points during August and early September because the games in late September into  October are Hearts, Celtic, Hibs, Rangers, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd. 

Good luck Stevie, you will need it.

you are making a lot of assumptions there without anything to back it up.time will tell,,,,after watching dundee utd last night, if we dont finish above them , we deserve to be relegated....assuming we get 2 or 3 new faces in

They were beyond lamentable, even with tony watt,mcgrath  steven fletcher....ok players at a certain level , but honestly bang average.

9 hours ago, ppower said:

Can someone tell me what a "fully integrated club" is. If Burrows reads these posts please enlighten is what this entails. I won't hold my breath for anyone expanding on this brain numbing statement.

i dont think alan b has time to answer every passing thought that comes into a fans head , i think it was quite well explained  in sh inetrview , so why does he need to expand

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The African said:

Given his lack of experience, you have to think that the other people to apply and get interviewed must have failed to stack up.

Having said that, with the names that were being thrown about both on here and elsewhere, I ad pretty much come round to the idea that  Hammell was as good an option as any. From what I have seen of him, mainly as a player and recently in his temporary role as manager, he appears to be of sound character. As such, he is the kind of person I would wish to be in charge. He has given the club most of his career and there can be no doubt that he knows the club, understands the club and, dare I say it? loves the club. That is the sort of person I want to be in charge of my club. I know that this is both a  romanticized and unrealistic approach to what is a business, but we have tried serious and pragmatic with our last few managers and where has that got us? And now I think about it, you probably need a romanticised and unrealistic approach if you support a team like Motherwell.

I think Steven Hammell will give his all in his new post. I hope he sets us up to play with style and ambition and, in doing so,reaps the success that we all crave. He is fortunate to have a good idea of our youth setup, so hopefully he can utilise this and show that we are a club that can give young players a chance.

Who knows what the future will bring? Will it work out for the best or will we crash and burn?The one thing you can pretty much be sure of is that there will be downs as well as ups. I wish him all the best and every success. I am willing to get right behind him and know that if things do not go our way, it will not be for the want of trying! COYW!

brilliant post

27 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

after watching dundee utd last night, if we dont finish above them , we deserve to be relegated....assuming we get 2 or 3 new faces in

They were beyond lamentable, even with tony watt,mcgrath  steven fletcher....ok players at a certain level , but honestly bang average.

I assume your having a laugh but if not then you need to keep out of the sun.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

after watching dundee utd last night, if we dont finish above them , we deserve to be relegated....assuming we get 2 or 3 new faces in

Last week I said on another thread how I thought dun utd had assembled a gd squad with experience. Youth and some foreign players. Shows what I know lol and also on paper means nothing. 

A scary thing however as I watched it I said to my son that other than Kelly I don't think any of our players would get in their team.  Importance of a good keeper was shown last night as big siegrist would have stopped 3 of those 5 in 1st half as would kelly I'm sure.

Irs another debate but last night I feel highlighted how poor our league is other than top 2 and also that we need to make league bigger. All teams other than top 2 are so defensive, boring,timewasters and so scared to lose they actually forget or don't know how to attack.  If any of our teams ever go 2 or 3 up that's it they just st back where AZ last night were a joy to watch with their movement and player ability on ball.  Big sigh. 

Anyway Hammell I feel will be ok and I am tad disappointed with reaction of some on here but thats what forums are for.

After reflecting on it, I have come to a single point - sack the board. 

Hammell is a club legend and has been a great servant to the club, without question.

He speaks well and am sure will give it his all but this must be the laziest and panicked decision we could have made. 

It's a decision that reeks of self-preservation of a group of largely older accountants that make up our board who have come under a fair bit of stick themselves for allowing Alexander to remain in place for so long and are now leaving Hammell out to dry, fully aware that being a Hall of Fame legend that he will get a bit of a longer leash from a support which has been pretty venomous of late. 

McMahon's statement is absolutely laughable. 

"An integrated club" - drivel. How the club is run shouldn't be down to the manager, it should be from the board. I posted way back when that we should have a director of football in place or something equivalent rather than being at the whims of individual managers. It was clear that we fully bought in Alexander's particular brand of eye bleeding shite and Mcmahon's statement proves it - we have completely lost control within our management. The identity of the club should never be down to the manager, the manager should be there to execute, tweak and optimise - that's why companies have managers, directors and CEO and boards. In no other business model (or many clubs these days) would a manager decide the direction of the club. 

With the greatest respect to Hammell, how can it be possible for him to run what McMahon states to be the biggest department in the club as the academy and then for him to surprise you in the interview? Surely if the guy has been there for 5 years in that role and 20 odd before that as a player then you would have a very solid idea of his beliefs and you could have given him the role either prior to Alexander or wouldn't have bothered with the interviews if you were so impressed. 

I hope Hammell succeeds, I really do but he was not what we needed. 

We needed new ideas, a change in structure and fresh faces in the squad. 

As a club, Motherwell have asked the support to back the club again and again which they have. Record Season Ticket Sales, jersey sales, well society and all the rest but the support are having the wool pulled over their eyes by a board and CEO who's time is up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Hammell is a club legend and has been a great servant to the club, without question.

He speaks well and am sure will give it his all but this must be the laziest and panicked decision we could have made. 

It's a decision that reeks of self-preservation of a group of largely older accountants that make up our board who have come under a fair bit of stick themselves for allowing Alexander to remain in place for so long and are now leaving Hammell out to dry, fully aware that being a Hall of Fame legend that he will get a bit of a longer leash from a support which has been pretty venomous of late. 

"An integrated club" - drivel. How the club is run shouldn't be down to the manager, it should be from the board. I posted way back when that we should have a director of football in place or something equivalent rather than being at the whims of individual managers. It was clear that we fully bought in Alexander's particular brand of eye bleeding shite and Mcmahon's statement proves it - we have completely lost control within our management. The identity of the club should never be down to the manager, the manager should be there to execute, tweak and optimise - that's why companies have managers, directors and CEO and boards. In no other business model (or many clubs these days) would a manager decide the direction of the club. 

With the greatest respect to Hammell, how can it be possible for him to run what McMahon states to be the biggest department in the club as the academy and then for him to surprise you in the interview? Surely if the guy has been there for 5 years in that role and 20 odd before that as a player then you would have a very solid idea of his beliefs and you could have given him the role either prior to Alexander or wouldn't have bothered with the interviews if you were so impressed. 

As a club, Motherwell have asked the support to back the club again and again which they have. Record Season Ticket Sales, jersey sales, well society and all the rest but the support are having the wool pulled over their eyes by a board and CEO who's time is up. 

This is the appointment that shall make or break Burrows and how we go forward.Dont get me wrong I think he is good for the club but everyone has a shelf life and maybe it's time for a wee change if it doesn't go as planned.

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

Great post mate.

4 hours ago, ppower said:

If it wasn't for his goals after Watt left we would have finished bottom six at best. Combined with his goals and Kelly's saves meant we didn't finish in the bottom two. Check the stats instead of spouting crap.

How many goals did he score in the second half of the season? More than everyone else doesn't mean it's enough. He shows up in 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 games at best. Is he the best option we have up front? Probably. Does it mean he's good enough? Not really. You said he and Kelly were the two players worth a place in the team. I'm saying Van Veen is no better than much of the squad, occasional flashes of skill aside...

And don't make me dig up the old Ebbe Skovdahl quote about statistics.