Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

12 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

This is the appointment that shall make or break Burrows and how we go forward.Dont get me wrong I think he is good for the club but everyone has a shelf life and maybe it's time for a wee change if it doesn't go as planned.

Burrows would only have had one vote, the manager would be appointed by the chairman, why does this decision make or break Burrows?

3 hours ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Seen quite a few posts in recent years slating our club , My thoughts he is bitter at the fact Motherwell have never offered him a job , great player of course  back in the day 

I remember that he took really ill around the time when Stuart McCall was manager and he stated in an interview that he was disappointed that the club never took care of him. A quick Google search and he enjoyed calling Lesley a waste of space and lays into Robinson as well.

We did the right thing by him by giving him a testimonial match despite him playing about 60 games, because of his injury, but he still feels the club owes him something. I'm sure he was whining about not getting a coaching job at one point, despite him not being a coach and doing nothing in football since finishing with us.

Now that Stevie Hammell has been given the job, we can hopefully turn a page. I totally understand everyones resevations about him getting the job and the great desire not to want to see his status tarnished in any way. However, there were always going to be risks and reservations amongst the support regardless of which candidate was appointed. One thing I do know is that I havent wanted to see any Motherwell manager succeed as much as I do this guy, and Im sure the vast majority if not all of our support are the same. Its a fresh start for this team and the management. Hopefully we can park the negativity and give the manager and players the patience they will require to turn things around.  Up the 'Well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fizoxy said:

We did the right thing by him by giving him a testimonial match despite him playing about 60 games, because of his injury, but he still feels the club owes him something. I'm sure he was whining about not getting a coaching job at one point, despite him not being a coach and doing nothing in football since finishing with us.

Bet you wouldn’t say that to his face , if you were standing next to him about him whining , eh.    I can remember the tackle against Hibs that effectively put him out the game. They were going for him all game. Think it was just before the cup final as well . 100 % effort every game he played for us . Pity we haven’t got anyone with his guts and commitment on the park now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Not according to a 2008 interview (http://www.motherwell-mad.co.uk/feat/edx1/colin_oneill_speaks_to_firparkcorner_412896/index.shtml):

Did you ever consider coaching/management?

No, it's not the same. I used to be sick pre-game but being a manager is just not the same atmosphere. I'd rather be out there chasing people and getting involved rather than watching from the sidelines.

Seems he's more annoyed with the SFA and lack of support from them after his retiring, and that has translated to him taking his feelings out on the Club (https://m.facebook.com/Colin-ONeills-fight-for-equality-within-SFA-English-FA-623274267809016/)

22 hours ago, David said:

I understand the thinking behind this, but when a club appoints a manager they have to support him. Refusing his requests for players doesn't exactly scream "backing the manager," does it? 

Basically, the board appointed Alexander so they had to either back him, or move him out. If they started refusing his requests (if they were reasonable, of course) for new players and so on then the position becomes untenable.

That's an old school way of looking at it. These days managers come and go so they shouldn't have a free hand to make decisions that are likely to have a serious impact on the club and everyone who works there beyond their tenure.

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Now that Stevie Hammell has been given the job, we can hopefully turn a page. I totally understand everyones resevations about him getting the job and the great desire not to want to see his status tarnished in any way. However, there were always going to be risks and reservations amongst the support regardless of which candidate was appointed. One thing I do know is that I havent wanted to see any Motherwell manager succeed as much as I do this guy, and Im sure the vast majority if not all of our support are the same. Its a fresh start for this team and the management. Hopefully we can park the negativity and give the manager and players the patience they will require to turn things around.  Up the 'Well!

Great post

I will 100% get behind Stevie but I am more than a bit gutted he has been chosen as it comes across as the easy/cheap option, even if it wasn't.  Im really underwhelmed but lets face it, he can't do any worse than Alexanders last 8 months so i'll go along and still give my money.

He needs to get on with recruitment straight away as I think we are 2 defenders and a striker away from a decent season.

• 2 weeks later...

Very early days obviously but there has definitely been an upturn in the general mood around the club and support since Hammell took over. The team is not great but unlike under Alexander and Robinson before him, the players actually look like they are enjoying it more.

I often criticise our social media publications but you can see it in the videos coming out of the ‘story’ of the game that the mood in the dressing room is good. I can’t speak for everyone but I certainly have enjoyed going to the last few games more so than I did for the majority of last season and there is a sense that there is more of a ‘vision’ if you pardon the cliché. Seeing young, homegrown players making their debut is something to get you looking forward to going to games and you hope that they will develop into players who can make their mark on the first team before they inevitably move on.

I don’t expect big things from us this season but I think there are grounds for cautious optimism that we are getting onto the right track.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I kinda annoys me the goals we have lost should have at least other 4 points easy but confident players get better results and it's growing.

Good stuff so far.

Agreed but results like StJ at home and Kilmarnock are going to happen. Both of those games exposed our weaknesses at both ends of the park and that is what cost us in both but at the same time there was cause for optimism in both games.