Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

7 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not sure if its just me, but Im not sure what it is about Kevin Thomsons managerial record that makes folk think that he is a future managerial success story? I think the jury is still very much out on that one and, if he hadnt played for one of the big 2, the media wouldnt push him anywhere near as much as they are doing right now.

PS thats not a dig at you Spit it Out, but I he does seem to be flavour of the month right now in the media when jobs come up.

I agree with that,thomson has had one season managing in league 2 where his budget dwarved any other club in that league,he wins promotion at a canter then resigns in hope of a bigger job which is yet to materialize.thats not a great look for a start,could he just resign leaving you in the lurch if something better came his way.hes the flavour of the month cause he's an ex old firm player trying to make it now as a manager,we have darren odeas name being mentioned in the press for the same reason.i wouldn't want either at the club,if we're looking to go down the route of an inexperienced manager then you would think hammell would be in front of those two.

I don’t get this insistence that it has to be someone from within or a former club legend.

My adopted English home team Charlton are exactly the same (so very similar to the well in so many ways) are exactly the same.

From my vantage point, Stevie Hammel is not the right man for the job yet and if he’s doing a great job in what is a critical role, why move him? Perhaps in time, he will be and hopefully he’s smart enough to see that.

Won’t rule anybody out but some hard questions need to be asked at the interview because whoever it is stuck with players already on contract extensions needs to ask the board if he has a free hand to offer players the right to move on . The new manager will need to bring in at least 6 players will the board back him like to think so . This appointment does not need to be done in a hurry as SH is a steady hand at the wheel 

13 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Won’t rule anybody out but some hard questions need to be asked at the interview because whoever it is stuck with players already on contract extensions needs to ask the board if he has a free hand to offer players the right to move on . The new manager will need to bring in at least 6 players will the board back him like to think so . This appointment does not need to be done in a hurry as SH is a steady hand at the wheel 

Contradicting yourself slightly there. If you feel the new man has to have the right to move people on and needs to bring in 5 or 6 players then I'd argue there is a bit of urgency in appointing someone given how long is left in the transfer window. 

Personally I'm more in favour of us taking our time and getting the right man. I reckon 2 signings will be enough to make a difference...

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not sure if its just me, but Im not sure what it is about Kevin Thomsons managerial record that makes folk think that he is a future managerial success story? I think the jury is still very much out on that one and, if he hadnt played for one of the big 2, the media wouldnt push him anywhere near as much as they are doing right now.

PS thats not a dig at you Spit it Out, but I he does seem to be flavour of the month right now in the media when jobs come up.

Im with you and whilst he may be a good coach ( i dont know) he has only done as you say which is not a great cv and also  imo is like a load of OF ex players who sook up their arse at any opportunity. Just read derek mcinness interview there about kilmarnock game v rangers tomorrow and my god its nauseating for me never mind how a kilmarnock fan must feel.

Im now warming more to the idea of hammell due to his work with youths,  his loyalty shown to us over the years and also he seems to be a likeable guy with an affection for the players that was shown albeit only once last sunday . This may not suit some who say he's not best man for job due to inexperience but everyone starts somewhere.

A left field appointment which we have done over the years would also sit ok but like others im getting a bit fed up of us signing majority from lower english leagues and getting maybe 1 in 5 right or even less

Last nights dundee utd team is a template of where i feel/wishwe should be headed and yes we cant compete with them financially but have signed similar in past like ex scotland experienced internationals mulgrew/fletcher  see faddy,pearson,mcmanus to help with their youth coming through that they have a lot as well as spfl experience in edwards, sibbald,watt see lasley hammel craigan etc then they are signing some good young players from bigger clubs teams like levitt,middleton see randolph,mccormack etc.   Yes they may have pushed boat out and it could all come crashing down and I am not suggesting we break the bank but its a template similar to that we have used in past and it works. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gaz7 said:

Im with you and whilst he may be a good coach ( i dont know) he has only done as you say which is not a great cv and also  imo is like a load of OF ex players who sook up their arse at any opportunity. Just read derek mcinness interview there about kilmarnock game v rangers tomorrow and my god its nauseating for me never mind how a kilmarnock fan must feel.

Im now warming more to the idea of hammell due to his work with youths,  his loyalty shown to us over the years and also he seems to be a likeable guy with an affection for the players that was shown albeit only once last sunday . This may not suit some who say he's not best man for job due to inexperience but everyone starts somewhere.

A left field appointment which we have done over the years would also sit ok but like others im getting a bit fed up of us signing majority from lower english leagues and getting maybe 1 in 5 right or even less

Last nights dundee utd team is a template of where i feel/wishwe should be headed and yes we cant compete with them financially but have signed similar in past like ex scotland experienced internationals mulgrew/fletcher  see faddy,pearson,mcmanus to help with their youth coming through that they have a lot as well as spfl experience in edwards, sibbald,watt see lasley hammel craigan etc then they are signing some good young players from bigger clubs teams like levitt,middleton see randolph,mccormack etc.   Yes they may have pushed boat out and it could all come crashing down and I am not suggesting we break the bank but its a template similar to that we have used in past and it works. 

I’m not sure we should be looking at a club like Dundee United. Even if you look past the size and resources they have been dreadfully run over the years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62436136 

Motherwell: Steven Hammell to hold further talks as club prepare shortlist

12 minutes ago

Motherwell

Motherwell chief executive Alan Burrows and caretaker manager Steven Hammell

Alan Burrows and Steve Hamell have already held discussions

Caretaker Steven Hammell says it would be "fantastic" to land the Motherwell manager's job full-time as he prepares to have further discussions about the vacancy next week.

The board is believed to be drawing up a shortlist on Saturday and the academy chief's name will be on it.

A permanent appointment is the club's aim before Motherwell face Aberdeen in the Scottish Premiership on 13 August. 

Hammell led Motherwell to an opening league win at St Mirren last weekend.

The 40-year-old has already had "a positive meeting" with chairman Jim McMahon and chief executive Alan Burrows as the club seek a successor to Graham Alexander.

"It was mostly about Saturday and where we see things," Hammell said as he prepares for his second match in charge - at home to St Johnstone.

"I don't want it to be anything other than that. We need to perform on Saturday.

"The whole focus this week has just been the game and then we will take it from there. That's genuine."

Apart from an 18-month stint with Southend United, Hammell has spent his entire career at Fir Park and is Motherwell's post-war record appearance holder with 583 games.

Asked what it would mean to be offered the manager's role permanently, the former Scotland full-back stressed his experience of working as head of the academy would stand him in good stead.

"I'm in a senior football position at the club and I'm grateful and privileged to be in the position I am just now," he said.

"If that's to then progress to the first-team manager then fantastic. If that's what the club want and they feel it's the best thing for the club, it's something I am prepared to do."

Motherwell recovered from the Europa Conference League exit to Sligo Rovers that led to Alexander's departure by grinding out victory in Paisley.

"Obviously the squad needs a little bit of tweaking," Hammell added. "The balance isn't quite where it should be, but we need to be more than we showed last Sunday.

"We need to be more of a threat in the final third, we need to be more positive with our running, we need to be a little bit fitter and stronger."

19 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I’m not sure we should be looking at a club like Dundee United. Even if you look past the size and resources they have been dreadfully run over the years.

just the players and style of their squad yorkyred. I am more than happy with way business side of club is run. We get a lot of plaudits for a lot of non football stuff from other fans and I am in agreement.  Our players though is a different matter and the recruitment up to now for last few years has other than kelly,watt (who was a bit lucky) been poor imv with too many lower league english players. I dont think that stevie hammell would use that market as much. 

12 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

just the players and style of their squad yorkyred. I am more than happy with way business side of club is run. We get a lot of plaudits for a lot of non football stuff from other fans and I am in agreement.  Our players though is a different matter and the recruitment up to now for last few years has other than kelly,watt (who was a bit lucky) been poor imv with too many lower league english players. I dont think that stevie hammell would use that market as much. 

Dundee utd do seem to have recruited well this summer and of course that is a massive help but they looked to have been well prepared for last night,they were up for it as well as looking fit and sharp,where as we were the complete opposite.if you put the effort in you will get the rewards,they got what they deserved last night and we got what we deserved against Sligo.

27 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Prefer our managers to be ones that haven’t played for either Celtic or Sevco if we can avoid it, while I will of course still get behind them the sooking up to them can get really annoying at times

Stuart McCall was the prime example of this

Most of our recent managers have had that mindset. Only two that didn't seem afflicted were Baraclough and Alexander, two guys not steeped in Scottish domestic football. I will always maintain that most of our other recent managers would have lost that playoff to Rangers. Baraclough for all his faults, and he had many, seemed to go in with the attitude that as the Premier League team that of course we were going to win...

• Like 1

Admit to having doubts about an inexperienced manager. I also understand the risks of whoever is appointed experienced or not,

Hammell's quotes above seem to me to be closely aligned  to what most fans think. By " tweaking " does he mean signings ?. Would not have thought signings would be made under an interim manager.

Seems a very tight schedule yo make an appointment.

5 minutes ago, Villageman said:

Seems a very tight schedule yo make an appointment.

That's the dilemma, isn't it? An appointment we can't afford to get wrong so need to do due diligence. But with the squad needing additions, you have to have one eye on the transfer window and the possibility that the longer we wait the more likely that potential targets are picked up by other clubs...

4 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Hammel speaks from the heart . Hard not to love this guy and hope he gets the job .

I think it’s too soon for him and not the right circumstances for him to get the job just now.

However if he did get the gig then I don’t think I’d ever want to see a Motherwell manager succeed more than him. He’s a club legend and a genuinely good guy. 

42 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I think it’s too soon for him and not the right circumstances for him to get the job just now.

However if he did get the gig then I don’t think I’d ever want to see a Motherwell manager succeed more than him. He’s a club legend and a genuinely good guy. 

i actually think its the perfect time for him to get the job. he knows exactly the style of footbll he wnts to play. knowss the current squad inside out so knows what needs changed in a very short period of time

4 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Most of our recent managers have had that mindset. Only two that didn't seem afflicted were Baraclough and Alexander, two guys not steeped in Scottish domestic football. I will always maintain that most of our other recent managers would have lost that playoff to Rangers. Baraclough for all his faults, and he had many, seemed to go in with the attitude that as the Premier League team that of course we were going to win...

This is exactly my thoughts as well , as much as I liked McCall who did an excellent job overall I have no doubt if he had stayed on that season we would have lost those playoff games .  In the cup game a few seasons before he had us beaten before a ball was kicked with a very negative outlook when most were tipping us for a win

3 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

I have to agree

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell