Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell

Wellfan90

As disappointing as the result was yesterday I’m still in the Hammy camp for the job . 
He played what he had yesterday but I’m convinced that is not how his team would play should he be successful in getting the job . 
He also tried to change things that weren’t working at half time so he was well aware of the predicament  he was facing . 
He played what was available but there are lads playing in that team who I’m 100% sure he knows aren’t good enough to play for Motherwell . 
Yeah it’s a gamble as he’s not got managerial experience (whatever that means) but I think he knows what’s needed and if supported with funding I think he’d be fine . 
Gamble ? Yes and it’ll only work if he gets players in he needs and hopefully that discussion will be happening this week with the board . 
On the flip side however if no funding is available or limited funding then it’s not a job I’d like to see him take on as the current squad could get us relegated as Hammy would be the fall guy . 
If Hammy thinks he knows what’s needed then come on board support him . 

16 minutes ago, Mintymac said:

As disappointing as the result was yesterday I’m still in the Hammy camp for the job . 
He played what he had yesterday but I’m convinced that is not how his team would play should he be successful in getting the job . 
He also tried to change things that weren’t working at half time so he was well aware of the predicament  he was facing . 
He played what was available but there are lads playing in that team who I’m 100% sure he knows aren’t good enough to play for Motherwell . 
Yeah it’s a gamble as he’s not got managerial experience (whatever that means) but I think he knows what’s needed and if supported with funding I think he’d be fine . 
Gamble ? Yes and it’ll only work if he gets players in he needs and hopefully that discussion will be happening this week with the board . 
On the flip side however if no funding is available or limited funding then it’s not a job I’d like to see him take on as the current squad could get us relegated as Hammy would be the fall guy . 
If Hammy thinks he knows what’s needed then come on board support him . 

Thats kinda where I am at.

I just look around and feel that whoever we choose is going to be a gamble of some sort.

Even someone like Lambert who has experience of managing and playing at the highest level is a gamble. Would he be able to work with the limited resources we can offer? Would he be able to motivate the players we currently have? Would that level of arrogance he has bubble to the surface and prove counter productive? Would he bugger off at the first sign of a better gig?

Not saying Hammell should annointed now. There may well be someone on the shortlist that we dont know about, but he is far from the worst candidate.

12 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

He's a decent guy but Stevie Hammell would give me the fear, if appointed, not because we lost but given his mistakes today. Wrong team selection and players looking unsure of their roles. Valakari would be a huge risk and if Sportsound is correct that leaves just 2 other candidates - whoever they are. If anything, today proved that we need an experienced manager to haul us out of the mess.  Either the manager or his assistant needs to have a knowledge of Scottish football. Despite public comments today, no more players should be signed until the new man is in place, providing that isn't weeks away. 

To be honest I think the club will feel they should interview Hammell, but he should be nowhere near first team manager. I would not like to see him in place and then start taking abuse. 

No matter who we employ- especially if we were to go with Hammell - I think the fans will have to be very patient while things get sorted. 
Defence is shot to hell confidence wise but I believe that can be fixed between the end of this window and the January one. 
Midfield likewise but I think there are players there who can work if they are played correctly to their strengths and get the backing of the crowd. 
Forward line is more difficult, KVV has talent but without space is limited so I see him better played against teams who don’t pack the defence or when we’re ahead and they have to come out. Shields put in some decent crosses and I feel he would prefer to have ball put in front of him to chase rather than snatch at crosses as he’s not quite sharp enough yet and hasn’t had any luck in front of the goals - strikers go through these phases and I hope he gets a lucky break soon. Efford is a strange one, will give his all but again it never seems to come off for him - reminds me a bit of Curtis Main. 

Looking like a long hard season 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

To be honest I think the club will feel they should interview Hammell, but he should be nowhere near first team manager. I would not like to see him in place and then start taking abuse. 

I would have Hammell in front of many of the merry go round managers . Someone who cares deeply and well educated on the club and coaching .

Alex Neil had ways less experience when he took the reigns at Hamilton and now we can only dream of landing such an appointment .

He may lack first team experience but everything he’s been calling out as issues resonates . 

He needs some budget to move get some of the journeymen out our club and bring in some decent talent - which may need to be premiership loanee types 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I've stated elsewhere that this squad plus Tony Watt and Kayne Woolery showed itself capable of winning games in the SPL last season (I know O'Hara,  Donnelly and Grimshaw were also here but they weren't exactly crucial). It shows the difference just two or three of the right types of player makes.  Personally I reckon an organiser at the back or in midfield and some direct pace up top so teams don't feel they can defend as high against us, those two would improve us hugely.

But the next manager's biggest task is getting guys playing to their best. Take Mugabi. He was never Beckenbauer but last season looked solid for the most part with the occasional howler thrown in. In other words, an average SPL defender. Yesterday he, along with most of the team, looked terrified. Not an ideal mindset for playing football.

Talk of 6 or 7 new signings is fanciful. New manager, whoever he is, needs to identify 2 or 3 to address problem areas, yes. But also has to remind the guys that are here how they can play...

So u really think 2 or 3 new players will fix this mess we are in . We have problem areas all through the team no quality and no skill 

30 minutes ago, Yodo said:

So u really think 2 or 3 new players will fix this mess we are in . We have problem areas all through the team no quality and no skill 

TBF it took just one player leaving to totally derail us last season. If we can get some quality in then I'm sure it'll make a big difference, but that's a big if of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

Of course they can.

I thought we were very poor yesterday but we still hit the post and should have had at least one penalty.  I don't think we can have any complaints about losing but on another day we could have won 3-1.

There are very small margins and as bad as we are most of the rest aren't miles ahead.

Just cutting out basic defensive errors could transform things.  

• Like 2

Seen Big Dunc was on sky last night and said he has been waiting for a managerial job coming up , I don’t think for a minute it will be him as I seem to remember him saying he never would play or manage in Scotland and had an issue with the SFA but wouldn’t be surprised either if he ends up in Scotland one day

I am sure there is going to be a decision before the Aberdeen game and tbh I honestly think it is probably going to be someone unexpected, probably not been mentioned

13 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Someone mentioned Mark Fotheringham on Twitter. I know bugger all about him, but at least it's another name to play about with until we find out who it really is.

His name had occurred to me last week but I kind of dismissed it as I figured he'd be looking for another coaching job in Germany...

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

Someone mentioned Mark Fotheringham on Twitter. I know bugger all about him, but at least it's another name to play about with until we find out who it really is.

I hope not.

he’s had a couple of assistant mgr roles in 2nd tier German league , the longest lasting led to relegation .

a short stint at Cowdenbeath .

Suspect he’d be further down the pecking order than say Valakari - who would also be a punt - (unless he comes over with a mini bus full of very decent finish stars who we can test out in a bounce  game )

There’s a very high probability the clubs that will spend most of the season in the bottom 6 of the league will be as follows:

Kilmarnock, Livingston, Motherwell Ross County, St. Johnstone and 
St. Mirren.

I regard this as our “peer group” and anything we manage to get from the clubs in the top 6 will be a (very welcome) bonus.  That is the reality of where we are as a club at the present time, and maybe for some considerable time to come as we simply do not have the financial resources that the clubs in the top 6 have.

So the challenge for this season for the new manager, is to come top of this group of 6, but failing that, ensure we finish no worse than 10th and, if he achieves either he should be judged as successful.  This will gain him time to begin to improve things for the longer term.

26 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I hope not.

he’s had a couple of assistant mgr roles in 2nd tier German league , the longest lasting led to relegation .

a short stint at Cowdenbeath .

Suspect he’d be further down the pecking order than say Valakari - who would also be a punt - (unless he comes over with a mini bus full of very decent finish stars who we can test out in a bounce  game )

Apparently Kenny Miller mentioned his name to Tam Cowan the other week when asked about possible left-field candidates. 

As someone said earlier, it could be an unknown who we go for, we do have previous for that.

Trolling the internet and  Darren Ferguson  came up.

he was with Peterborough for a good few years in both d1 and championship with a +40% win record 

A Scot who played with Man Utd and wolves . Peterborough are a bigger club than us (sad to say)

prob the level we would aim for if looking for an experienced mgr who’s without a club .

26 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I hope not.

His last role was assisting Felix Magath at Hertha Berlin. Don't think he was officially assistant manager but he was one of two on the bench with Magath. Think he has had a similar role with Magath in the past...

Personally I'd steer clear of these assistant manager types. We did ok with Robinson, but the likes of Cathro and Maloney have failed miserably.

My worry for guys that have managed for a while in the English lower leagues is that they often underestimate our game, and play boring as fuck functional football, i.e. GA and Mickey Mellon. They have those long seasons of almost 2 games per week, which requires a totally different approach.

Regardless, whoever comes in is going to either be inexperienced or had a failure or two if they have experience. I sincerely doubt that the new guy is going to get unanimous approval from our support.

Is there anyone in the lower divisions that's making a name for themselves?

Proponents of the 4-3-3 should perhaps take a leaf out of Pep Guardiola's book. Today he described the middle of the park as the kitchen of the apartment, where everything happens but only when you populate it with the right amount of ingredients, aka more than three static donkeys.

Last week, Graham Alexander was busy getting a pre-emotive strike in concerning his sacking as he was busy telling everybody about the wonderful job he did as Motherwell manager! However as Shakespeare famously wrote “methinks he doth protest too much.”

Ah, but wait. For every action there is a reaction and it finally came over the weekend.

First, we get a damning indictment on the previous managerial regime from interim manager and ‘Well legend Stevie Hammell who has pulled no punches in stating that he believes the squad needs major surgery.  

Then, Stephen O’Donnell finally publicly reveals what many suspected - that there was a rift between him and Alexander as he reveals he was stripped of the captaincy and ostracised.

A truly damning judgment and indictment on the previous managerial regime and also on those running the club.

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Next Motherwell Manager - Steven Hammell