Motherwell v St Johnstone 06/08/22

SteelmaninOZ

Unless we sign another proper fit striker, at least one winger and a competent LB, the current 433 will continue to be impotent.

With the current squad, I’d suggest a 352 to flood the midfield and start to create from there. It’s worth a try. 

Looking forward to the game, it'll be interesting to see how Hammell will approach it seeing he'll now have had a week to bed in some of his own ideas plus hopefully that match fitness is looking much better. I wouldn't be surprised if this game was won by a 1-0 scoreline again, hopefully by us as that would be an excellent start to the season all things considered. St Johnstone look like a side that might flirt at the bottom again this season, like us at the weekend they struggled up top and only had a handful of shots on goal before losing at the death, Callum Davidson has reshaped the squad quite a bit, defensively they will be a tough nut to crack but they still have May and Kane leading the line. Murray 'Elbows' Davidson may be out as he was sent off against Hibernian but they're appealing that decision.

Hopefully Hammy will get a bit more chance to put his stamp on the team with a full week of training the players.

For me if KVV isnt fully fit then dont play him. His workrate has been very poor and he is a shadow of the player he can be if fit and interested.

Lamie will be a big miss. Probably means Bevis coming back in with Sol, unless McGinn is over his head knock and can move inside with SOD keeping his place after a solid showing at St Mirren.

Id like to see Cornelius on from the start to get some energy into the midfield  and mix it up a bit so St Johnstone dont get the examinatiin they are expecting. 

On 8/2/2022 at 10:10 PM, joewarkfanclub said:

Hopefully Hammy will get a bit more chance to put his stamp on the team with a full week of training the players.

For me if KVV isnt fully fit then dont play him. His workrate has been very poor and he is a shadow of the player he can be if fit and interested.

Lamie will be a big miss. Probably means Bevis coming back in with Sol, unless McGinn is over his head knock and can move inside with SOD keeping his place after a solid showing at St Mirren.

Id like to see Cornelius on from the start to get some energy into the midfield  and mix it up a bit so St Johnstone dont get the examinatiin they are expecting. 

Lamie will b a miss but ur right in how we accommodate that,it shows how flexible we r at the back,it shouldn't weaken us a great deal if only bevis plays as we know he can

Im also going t give Carroll a bit of credit for sunday,his positioning seemed better at covering round the back post, no so much going forward but i expect that t b the fear factor of making a cnut of it,so hes in again

Goss looked good for an hour,got on the ball in nice positions,is slattery back from injury/suspension?if so who's out,spittal,maguire,morris?

Efford up front last week done well for me,had a half chance out of nothing,but it was after the sending off of lamie he done some excellent work off the ball,tracking back n filling dangerous areas,alot of which probably went unnoticed by most

We need the width created by SOD n carroll n the awareness of a midfielder t slot in as cover,something GA never done with his stubborn flat back 4,remember this is SOD the wingback who got 7/8 out of 10 against england

Its not rocket science square pegs go into square holes

14 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

Lamie will b a miss but ur right in how we accommodate that,it shows how flexible we r at the back,it shouldn't weaken us a great deal if only bevis plays as we know he can

Im also going t give Carroll a bit of credit for sunday,his positioning seemed better at covering round the back post, no so much going forward but i expect that t b the fear factor of making a cnut of it,so hes in again

Goss looked good for an hour,got on the ball in nice positions,is slattery back from injury/suspension?if so who's out,spittal,maguire,morris?

Efford up front last week done well for me,had a half chance out of nothing,but it was after the sending off of lamie he done some excellent work off the ball,tracking back n filling dangerous areas,alot of which probably went unnoticed by most

We need the 

Spud did you not notice Efford passing the ball straight to a St Mirren player resulting in Lamie getting sent off? He's a diddy. 

• Like 1

One thing I hope for on Saturday is a cracking atmosphere and none of the behaviour witnessed at both Sligo games from some fans. We all need to get right behind the team, nothing worse for a player if getting dogs abuse every time a mistake is made. Sure , there are players I am not a fan of but I don't berate them when they are on the pitch.  Let's hope for a 2nd league win and a happy forum ..COYW

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

We need the width created by SOD n carroll n the awareness of a midfielder t slot in as cover,something GA never done with his stubborn flat back 4,remember this is SOD the wingback who got 7/8 out of 10 against england

Its not rocket science square pegs go into square holes

Amazing, as wild takes go.

20 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Spud did you not notice Efford passing the ball straight to a St Mirren player resulting in Lamie getting sent off? He's a diddy. 

I did notice that,but lamie had no need t go in the way he did,n like i said he done some decent donkey work..as all the guys did,jordan white was a "diddy"for us but not for ross county,im willing t give the guy the benifit of the doubt

5 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

I’ll give you ‘it shouldn'tweaken us a great deal if only bevis plays as we know he can’ for starters.

Clearly ur opinion n mine differs,u dont rate bevis,i think hes capable of doing a job for us,which he has done in the past

1 hour ago, spudmfc said:

Clearly ur opinion n mine differs,u dont rate bevis,i think hes capable of doing a job for us,which he has done in the past

Neither solid nor reliable, it’s difficult to rate any of our centre backs but, I’m genuinely curious as to this ‘which he has  done in the past’ you speak of.

21 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Neither solid nor reliable, it’s difficult to rate any of our centre backs but, I’m genuinely curious as to this ‘which he has  done in the past’ you speak of.

Check back his ratings from last season 7+ out of 10 obviously not good enough for u,granted he had a few howlers but u cant fault him for those when the rest of the team r getting the same ratings and playing just as badly,just an after thought,he helped the team to 3 points last week coming off the bench for 10 mins or so,did u applaud the TEAM or just the other 9 guys that finished the game

We'll just have to agree t disagree

10 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

Check back his ratings from last season 7+ out of 10 obviously not good enough for u,granted he had a few howlers but u cant fault him for those when the rest of the team r getting the same ratings and playing just as badly,just an after thought,he helped the team to 3 points last week coming off the bench for 10 mins or so,did u applaud the TEAM or just the other 9 guys that finished the game

We'll just have to agree t disagree

Ratings mean very little, often marked by persons not even at the game so easily discounted.

Holding them up as some sort of virtue in comparison with rest of the team playing badly is a nonsense.

I'm not sure the analogy with regards applause - verging on the ridiculous that.

21 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Ratings mean very little, often marked by persons not even at the game so easily discounted.

Holding them up as some sort of virtue in comparison with rest of the team playing badly is a nonsense.

I'm not sure the analogy with regards applause - verging on the ridiculous that.

"Ratings mean very little, often marked by persons not even at the game so easily discounted."

I was at some of those games last year and would tend t agree with those ratings regardless if the person assessing the team was at the game or not

As for the applause,u must cheer him as part of the team u support but slate him individually,typical of a minority of our fans,there's always one of our team with a target on his back,me personally i get behind the team n have done so for near on 40 years,with the exception of maybe derek adams lol

Like i said I'll agree t disagree 

42 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

As for the applause,u must cheer him as part of the team u support but slate him individually,typical of a minority of our fans,there's always one of our team with a target on his back,me personally i get behind the team n have done so for near on 40 years,with the exception of maybe derek adams lol

Typical. My flabber has been gasted. 

10 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

One thing I hope for on Saturday is a cracking atmosphere and none of the behaviour witnessed at both Sligo games from some fans. We all need to get right behind the team, nothing worse for a player if getting dogs abuse every time a mistake is made. Sure , there are players I am not a fan of but I don't berate them when they are on the pitch.  Let's hope for a 2nd league win and a happy forum ..COYW

Amen, I can’t remember a single time a players performance improved by getting abuse. On the other hand giving support has strange way of improving confidence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nobody has picked a team - so I might as well as the new interim manager

Kelly

McGinn Sol Mugabi Carroll

McGuire Cornelius Goss

Slattery Tierney

Van Veen

I actually don't like this team at all, one goal will win the game but to who? It's clear we need signings that are direct up front.