Motherwell v St Johnstone 06/08/22

SteelmaninOZ

I think we will be fine a few fresh signings and it will be grand.I think a more experienced head would have got us a point out of that today(not a dig at Hammell)Big week coming up this cant drag on and on need a new guy asap.If they give the job to Hammell then they need get a old head as his number two then it might work.

Saving grace is St Mirren they are mega pish.

8 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

We are in a horrible position of having no manager and needing serious rebuilding of the squad in less than a month. The team we have simply are not good enough. I’m not expecting us to be competing with the Old Firm, Hearts or Aberdeen but as I said during the game, St.Johnstone did the ‘basics’ much better than we did. Is it unrealistic to expect us to at least compete with them and similar sides?

I’ve said this before but us spawny-ing into Europe last season may very well hurt us more than it will benefit us.

Were definitely in a horrible spot right now,the previous manager has left an absolute mess behind.we look to have been a badly coached side for a while now and it's going to take the new manager,whoever that is time to sort the mess out.were a soft touch that can't defend but yet at the other end our options are shocking,to find ourselves relying solely on a 31 year old up front is a disgrace,you could combine morris,efford and shields and you still couldn't make a competent player out of them.the squad we have is piss poor and I just hope there's enough of a budget left to bring some new faces is cause no matter who the new guy is there's to many that aren't good enough,normally in the past when we have been between managers you could still point to enough within the squad that will do a job but I just don't see it with this current lot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I think we will be fine a few fresh signings and it will be grand.I think a more experienced head would have got us a point out of that today(not a dig at Hammell)Big week coming up this cant drag on and on need a new guy asap.If they give the job to Hammell then they need get a old head as his number two then it might work.

And that's the first post confirming that there is no way that Hammell should even consider taking the job,  Inexperence Flag will be dragged round his neck like an anchor after every defeat.

Agreed. The problem is that whoever gets the job now, whether that’s Hammell or whoever, they are basically snookered as to carrying out any rebuild of the squad before the window shuts and with the season already started.

Anyone who had their eyes open and didn’t have their heads firmly planted in their own arses could have told you that the team and the squad just wasn’t good enough in the second half of last season.

The best thing for us would have been parting company with Alexander at the end of last season, appointing a new manager and letting him make his own moves in the transfer market over the summer to at least give us the chance of serving up something better than what we got last year.

As it is we are stuck with the majority of the same shite we had last season that won a grand total of three league games between December and May and had the majority of their support’s eyes bleeding. Only this time we have no Tony Watt to grab goals in the first half of the season to keep us out of trouble.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Hpw long do you think Robinson will last?

I think that the first round of fixtures has gone for us. The games that we'd hope to pick up points are mostly at the front end of the season. By the time the new manager is in place there will be very little time to improve the squad or to coach them into a cohesive team before we hit a tougher run of games. We have to hope that we can scrape enough points through August so that we don't get cut adrift and then I'm looking for us to do enough to turn over Inverness in the league Cup. I'm hoping we then show some gradual improvement in the league matches to show that we are a Premier League side. We will then need a good run of results in rounds 2 and 3 and post-break fixtures. 

Let's hope that whoever gets the job is up to the task.

10 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

At least we are trying to play some football but we are just too slow.  Another defeat but I still think it’s an improvement on GA performances.  Hard to turn it around overnight. Just hope we can turn it around before loosing all confidence. 

If that’s improvement, trouble is just around the corner. Today should put an end to any notion of Hammell moving office. It’s folly.

• Like 2

On another issue it was nice to see the ‘Well Bois’ disrupt the game at the start of the second half with yet another “Look at us, Look at us” type protest. When the team is getting beat that really helps matters eh? Still, who cares what happens on the park? As long as they can have some sort of ‘grievance’.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

At least we are trying to play some football

I have to agree. The second half today was an improvement. It was good to see us moving in-field from the halfway line, get the ball central in the final third to give options of going wide, play a through ball or take take shot.

• Haha 1

Today summed up just how much of a useless cunt Alexander is. He's left us with one of the worst squads I've seen in years, and I can't believe he thought it was okay to take us into the start of a Euro campaign and new season with that mob of shite. At least Hammy tried to get them playing some football today, but you can only piss with the cock you've got, and that cock is impotent and includes more than one bawbag.

16 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Today summed up just how much of a useless cunt Alexander is. He's left us with one of the worst squads I've seen in years, and I can't believe he thought it was okay to take us into the start of a Euro campaign and new season with that mob of shite. At least Hammy tried to get them playing some football today, but you can only piss with the cock you've got, and that cock is impotent and includes more than one bawbag.

Sadly alexander's fingerprints are going to be all over this squad for a while to come,even his style of play is going to take some getting rid of.he hamstrung a squad of players into playing one way and that won't disappear overnight.hopefully we get the right man and allow him to make some changes to the squad,which will be minimal at this stage but fingers crossed it's enough then there's still a full season to look forward too,where as if alexander had stayed the damage would have been severe.

41 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

On another issue it was nice to see the ‘Well Bois’ disrupt the game at the start of the second half with yet another “Look at us, Look at us” type protest. When the team is getting beat that really helps matters eh? Still, who cares what happens on the park? As long as they can have some sort of ‘grievance’.

And another. Tapping into a subject I suspect you know little of. You do get the idea of ‘protest’? Had little bearing on the team getting beat as you put it, they certainly weren’t building any momentum at anyrate.

Not an endorsement, I do though understand the thinking. Think some of the holier than thou in our support should have more things to worry about.

9 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

And another. Tapping into a subject I suspect you know little of. You do get the idea of ‘protest’? Had little bearing on the team getting beat as you put it, they certainly weren’t building any momentum at anyrate.

Not an endorsement, I do though understand the thinking. Think some of the holier than thou in our support should have more things to worry about.

I’m not interested in the subject or the reason behind it. I just don’t get the point of disrupting a game of the club you claim to support by staging some daft wee protest. 

That group seem more interested in their own status than the team on the park mind you, so it’s hardly a surprise.

Utter dugmeat.  Only upsides were Goss and that Hammy probably won’t get the gig, thus saving a club legend from potential relegation rinsing.  Zero creativity feeding into KVV, whether it’s via wingers (yes Effords quick, but he literally cut inside today, and when most other wingers would’ve got a shot away, crapped it and the chance was lost), a no. 10 with something resembling physical stature (Tierney literally can’t compete at SPL level) or a sharp second striker but, hey, that’d require a shift to a front 2.    Plus a reasonable level of fitness and ability to press.   

I honestly can’t comprehend the utter paucity of transfer activity and basic fitness and preparation during close-season.  Alexander must have been looking for an exit and pay off, and the board/CEO need to take a long hard look at themselves.  Remember Andrew Wilson tweeting after the Sligo defeat along the lines of “Oh well, hey, its a slow start”.  It’s 6 potential figures worth of revenue to the club FFS and you, as an alleged economist, know what this means.   Serious corrective action with the managerial hire and correcting the squad *needs* to happen, and quick.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MearnsWell said:

Utter dugmeat.  Only upsides were Goss and that Hammy probably won’t get the gig, thus saving a club legend from potential relegation rinsing.  Zero creativity feeding into KVV, whether it’s via wingers (yes Effords quick, but he literally cut inside today, and when most other wingers would’ve got a shot away, crapped it and the chance was lost), a no. 10 with something resembling physical stature (Tierney literally can’t compete at SPL level) or a sharp second striker but, hey, that’d require a shift to a front 2.    Plus a reasonable level of fitness and ability to press.   

I honestly can’t comprehend the utter paucity of transfer activity and basic fitness and preparation during close-season.  Alexander must have been looking for an exit and pay off, and the board/CEO need to take a long hard look at themselves.  Remember Andrew Wilson tweeting after the Sligo defeat along the lines of “Oh well, hey, its a slow start”.  It’s 6 potential figures worth of revenue to the club FFS and you, as an alleged economist, know what this means.   Serious corrective action with the managerial hire and correcting the squad *needs* to happen, and quick.   

The fitness levels are nothing short of disgraceful. To go in to a competitive environment that under cooked is shameful. It’s worse than last seasons league cup carry on and I didn’t think that could be trumped

• Like 1

We have several first team regulars who belong at a lower level. 

the positive is we have some decent players. As it stands id keep Kelly , McGinn, S’OD, Lamie, slattery , goss , Cornelius , Tierney and KVV 

Sadly that means less than half our squad should be retained - the rest should be off loaded asap (not easy to do)

we need to get out there  and bring in quality  and or trust in some of the developing youngsters .

Appreciate and agree GA deserves a lot of stick - equally we have a head of recruitment - who’s not doing a great job either . Less in the limelight but not been that many great signings since he arrived