Aberdeen v Motherwell 13/08/2022

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, Walker86 said:

Brilliant!  Even better when it is against that mob. I saw more in that performance than I have all year. Cut out the silly moments at back and more ruthless up front and it could have been a battering. Something to be positive about at long last :)

I was just wondering how we do that we seem stuck in a loop of those kind of goals conceeded and doesn't seem to change no matter the permutation. Mind you I don't give a fuck today I'd rather just think of the decent football I watched.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gaz7 said:

Bloody hell!!! 

I seriously cannot believe that performance.  

Well done all the players and Stevie hammell and Brian kerr.

There was a bit of confidence today and the negativity is away. 

Let it continue and I can't wait for next week already.

Joe Efford runs at end. Goss with his passing. cornlius energy. slattery pass and move.2 fullbacks supporting. I could go on

Dumbfounded but happy as larry

Said all that last year that these guys were capable of this if only the man in charge then would open his eyes,he'll b sitting in a dark corner banging his head against a wall

I've liked they way Hammell talked about the game since he took over. Of course, as someone who has spent every day for the last 4 years coaching, it's not surprising he talks more like a coach than a manager, but it has been refreshing to listen to his interviews and good to see players responding to his ideas.

• Like 1

That was a huge difference from a few weeks ago, with the same group of players. I was impressed with how well organized we were, and how everyone was working for each other to stay organized. We didn't do anything fancy in an attacking sense, but we used the ball a lot better and played with intent from the start.

The safety first, defensive, approach from Alexander had everyone playing too tentatively, which just invites pressure, whereas today the players were free to take the ball into space and play tight passes. It was interesting to hear Hammell's comment on Slattery about the positions he needs to take up, as we need more goals from our midfielders.

Cornelius had a really good game. Hopefully he's going to keep getting time, as if he can add a bit of composure to his game he will be an excellent player for us.

38 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I know it's only 1 game but amazing the difference that a manager can make with the same players and actually playing them in correct position and giving them freedom to express themselves, very encouraging

No shit Sherlock.

I haven't seen the game yet but what a start for Hammy. Maybe he's given the player more freedom. Anyway, to win at Pittodrie and do so with a bit of style is a great tonic for us. One swallow doesn't make a summeer though and its only the start of a long journey. We still have some weaknesses which need rectified especially in defence but hopefully we can secure some signatures in the next few weeks to strengthen the squad in general but more specifically the first 11. A breath of fresh air or so it seems today.  Early doors but maybe we can avoid a relegation scrap this season.

Well done Stevie & Kerrso. Perhaps we're starting to see that some of the players can play after all.

8 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Delighted for Hammy, and the players who responded so well to his complete change of philosophy. He has given us some pride back.

It's always great to see a team fight back from being behind too: shows the new spirit in the team I hope.

That's what I want more than anything else - to be proud of the team, whatever the result.

4 minutes ago, mfc said:

We will win and lose games along the way but that team today atleast had a bit of identity about them and something that as fans we can buy into and get behind.

Exactly Motherwell fans were not being unreasonable with the views of games under GA we know it's swings and roundabouts but it is an entertainment business so it's not unreasonable to expect some. That was great today, nerve jangling up n downs but interspersed with some lovely football... That's what it's all about.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Exactly Motherwell fans were not being unreasonable with the views of games under GA we know it's swings and roundabouts but it is an entertainment business so it's not unreasonable to expect some. That was great today, nerve jangling up n downs but interspersed with some lovely football... That's what it's all about.

Spot on,we don't have the best players in the world but at the end of the day there professionals,let them go and play and do there thing,that was definitely a team playing with the shackles off today rather than the guff being served up under alexander.

During Alexanders tenure every game was so stressfull to watch, as the only thing we could cling on to was a potential result, because the football itself is shite.

You can forgive a lot when the team plays like that, with attacking intent and maximum effort. As shite as our inevitable losses are going to be, you can take it as part of the process, and be annoyed at the result without the feeling of futility you got with the previous guy.

I reserve the right to take this back if we lose to livi :-)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

During Alexanders tenure every game was so stressfull to watch, as the only thing we could cling on to was a potential result, because the football itself is shite.

You can forgive a lot when the team plays like that, with attacking intent and maximum effort. As shite as our inevitable losses are going to be, you can take it as part of the process, and be annoyed at the result without the feeling of futility you got with the previous guy.

I reserve the right to take this back if we lose to livi :-)

The Livingston game next week will be a big indicator if we have actually started turning a corner.

As brilliant as today was we have tended to get results against Aberdeen against the odds over the last couple of years. I don’t know if it’s been because they have always been favourites and we thrive on the ‘underdog’ tag but we have certainly done okay against them and a lot better than expected beforehand.

A win and a good performance at home against Livingston next Saturday is crucial.

28 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

The Livingston game next week will be a big indicator if we have actually started turning a corner.

As brilliant as today was we have tended to get results against Aberdeen against the odds over the last couple of years. I don’t know if it’s been because they have always been favourites and we thrive on the ‘underdog’ tag but we have certainly done okay against them and a lot better than expected beforehand.

A win and a good performance at home against Livingston next Saturday is crucial.

Lat time Livi beat us was Feb 2020.

Last time Livi beat us at Fir Park is, I think, about 20 years ago.

I think it's just the fact that they drag the game down to an unmemorable eye-bleeding level that makes it feel like our record against them isn't as good as it actually is.

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

That's what I want more than anything else - to be proud of the team, whatever the result.

I think that's why I got so down about Alexander's soul-less approach, and I mean really down. A few posters were talking about Motherwell fan  "romantics"  up-thread, I think, so I'm certainly  one of those and frankly I've been deeply  embarrassed by our performances since the New Year, the worst in my view since Tommy McLean's first season, when he was struggling with almost no money and a limited squad.

Actually, I'm less worried about our squad than I was even  a  week ago: amazing what happens when you play players in their natural positions, try some pass and move combinations and   go forward whenever  the opportunity arises. If we can nail down a serviceable LB and a forward to assist/push KVV, things might be better than we thought in that area.

Listening to SH's  pre-and post- match comments has  restored my faith in our club and  football generally.

Blood and snotters next week against Livi so a different kind of game for Stevie to plan for. 

And so we go on.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fizoxy said:

That was a huge difference from a few weeks ago, with the same group of players. I was impressed with how well organized we were, and how everyone was working for each other to stay organized. We didn't do anything fancy in an attacking sense, but we used the ball a lot better and played with intent from the start.

The safety first, defensive, approach from Alexander had everyone playing too tentatively, which just invites pressure, whereas today the players were free to take the ball into space and play tight passes. It was interesting to hear Hammell's comment on Slattery about the positions he needs to take up, as we need more goals from our midfielders.

Cornelius had a really good game. Hopefully he's going to keep getting time, as if he can add a bit of composure to his game he will be an excellent player for us.

Agree wi u on goals from midfield..now that goss is moved in one i think he will start n pitch in he's had a few pot shots coming from deep

3 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I was just wondering how we do that we seem stuck in a loop of those kind of goals conceeded and doesn't seem to change no matter the permutation. Mind you I don't give a fuck today I'd rather just think of the decent football I watched.

I agree about not giving a fuck today. Enjoy it.....it was the perfect tonic after recent times.  Moving forward is the challenge. A reliable LB, finding our best CB pairing, more work on tactics/team shape and player confidence increasing will help with the soft goals I hope. A good start  today overall but a long way to go.