Aberdeen v Motherwell 13/08/2022

SteelmaninOZ

All the "dugshite" people were talking about on here lately  turned in good performances today. Slattery, Goss, Shields, Efford, Mugabi and McGinn all played their part today.

Goodwin has spent a fortune and brought in 10 players and their usual tactic was a long ball over the top. 

I know it's only one performance but it seems to me that the " dugshite" departed along with Alexander. It's the same players but not playing his 4-3-3 is the only difference. The ability was always there in the squad if better use was made of it.

Will the usual suspects (you know who they are) now agree that the players are not as bad as they were making out. I want hold my breath waiting.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I was just wondering how we do that we seem stuck in a loop of those kind of goals conceeded and doesn't seem to change no matter the permutation. Mind you I don't give a fuck today I'd rather just think of the decent football I watched.

I agree about not giving a fuck today. Enjoy it.....it was the perfect tonic after recent times.  Moving forward is the challenge. A reliable LB, finding our best CB pairing, more work on tactics/team shape and player confidence increasing will help with the soft goals I hope. A good start  today overall but a long way to go.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, real dosser said:

All the "dugshite" people were talking about on here lately  turned in good performances today. Slattery, Goss, Shields, Efford, Mugabi and McGinn all played their part today.

Goodwin has spent a fortune and brought in 10 players and their usual tactic was a long ball over the top. 

I know it's only one performance but it seems to me that the " dugshite" departed along with Alexander. It's the same players but not playing his 4-3-3 is the only difference. The ability was always there in the squad if better use was made of it.

Will the usual suspects (you know who they are) now agree that the players are not as bad as they were making out. I want hold my breath waiting.

No still dugshite in the team and Stevie will no that . I have faith that the players he brings in will add to the team not just the squad 

The big difference is players being given some freedom to go an play.  Suspect they felt very controlled on previous regime, now the shackles are off and they're allowed to play and think for themselves. Goss for example is showing that he can be the creative midfield playmaker we've needed.  

This enabled us to out score the opposition , previously I think we'd have lost this 2-1.  Same defensive errors that we've moaned about for 12 months.  

Thought S'OD, Goss, Slattery, Tierney, McGinn, Spittal all had very good games. 

13 hours ago, real dosser said:

We all know some supporters tend to over react at times, players are wonderful one week and the worst players in the world next week. I think in my time we are possibly on the third set of worst players in the history of Motherwell. No different to the seasonal predictions that we’re doomed, relegation certainties. To be fair it’s the same at most clubs, a lot of nonsense spouted by a small percentage who don’t have a clue.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

The big difference is players being given some freedom to go an play.  Suspect they felt very controlled on previous regime, now the shackles are off and they're allowed to play and think for themselves. Goss for example is showing that he can be the creative midfield playmaker we've needed.  

This enabled us to out score the opposition , previously I think we'd have lost this 2-1.  Same defensive errors that we've moaned about for 12 months.  

Thought S'OD, Goss, Slattery, Tierney, McGinn, Spittal all had very good games. 

Good summation. The togetherness was there for all to see.

Can add the rest of the squad having very good games with Sol growing into the game after losing his footing. Substitutions on point and each having impact.

We’ll get stronger with additions.

11 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

No different to the seasonal predictions that we’re doomed, relegation certainties. To be fair it’s the same at most clubs, a lot of nonsense spouted by a small percentage who don’t have a clue.

Every season, somebody's right. Luckily, our fans have been proved clueless for a long time.

The most I’ve enjoyed a game for quite some time although a wee bit tainted by me just waiting on us collapsing which never happened. Great display. Well done Motherwell. You can tell we were good when the thread is so subdued. Here’s hoping we see a lot more positive results like this and lots of decent football to enjoy. 

• Like 1

Reading the Aberdeen forum they are unhappy they have 'only' spent £1.3m this summer. None of their new signings were impressive so I don't think it'll be long until they turn on Goodwin. 

That was the best midfield performance from us for a long, long time. Anytime we have played any football recently it's been with Goss, Slattery and Dean playing. If Hammell can get Goss and Slattery playing to their potential we will be ok.

The cherry on the cake yesterday was Faddy proudly nailing his colours to the mast on Sportscene. I almost considered paying my license fee.....

"Brewdog in town this weekend celebrating their AGM, massive event. Private jets from all over stacked at ABZ.  Meanwhile, at beach, the Famous turned over by a bunch of socially-housed minks, with zero history. How could this be? An utter travesty, beyond comprehension. I blame the recruitment process. On joining , never mind taking these newbies [and their entourage] around the Audi garages and private schools. Perhaps first they should be educated about the city and it’s business , the history, what the men of Aberdeen expect, their expectations. If you want to play for Aberdeen then losing is not allowed. A slim defeat to the filth, having tried fucking hard , is occasionally understood,  sometimes.  We are Aberdeen. A big rich city, with history. We do not lose to tower-block minks from scumville. Simple. "

Amazing scenes on the Sheep board. 

"We are Aberdeen. A big rich city, with history. We do not lose to tower-block minks from scumville. Simple"

But they kind of do, and quite often.

Also, "history" doesn't mean what he thinks it means.

We all have our roasters, but he's prime roaster.

The Aberdeen support is a joke.

They seem to take no joy or pleasure in anything apart from beating/scraping a draw against Rangers once a season.

They live off the early 1980s success that they had but can’t get their heads round why they aren’t winning leagues and competing in Europe anymore.

Their ‘songbook’ consists of dirge like “Staaaand free” and chants mocking the Ibrox distaster and the Simpson-Durrant incident whilst trying to portray themselves as ‘better’ than the bigoted nasty Old Firm/weegies.

They think they have a divine right to be better than clubs like us and their media chums help fuel this.

That is why very little in football gives me more satisfaction than slapping them down.

Fuck them.

• Like 2

Obviously it's one game and you don't want to read too much into it. However,  I think we only scored more than two goals once under Alexander last season.  It was a pragmatic approach when this league probably doesn't warrant it.  I'd be willing to bet there wasn't a single game under him where we had that many attempts on goal. Every manager has their own philosophy but if Hammell's is to play football and try to score plenty of goals then I'd rather watch us lose playing that way than win trying to stagnate poor opposition. Feels like a long time since we've had someone in charge who actually understood the importance of entertainment. I was getting apathetic about coming to games. Was definitely more habit than desire.  Now I'm intrigued to see how we build on this. 

• Like 4

Thinking of changing my handle to Tower-Block Mink from Scumville.

John Swinburne told me that  after Kirky's shot gave us a cup  win at Pittodrie in 1991, a fur-coated "lady" in the main stand told him she hoped that  they shut Ravenscraig  on Monday.

Always remember Pittodrie means "farm of the dung-heap" in the Gaelic. IIRC Aberdeen fans were even banned from the Social Club in Edward Street  for offensive behaviour.

There detached from reality that lot up there.there watching a team that has the likes of hayes and mcrorie in being managed by jim goodwin,what is it there expecting exactly :lol:that centre half that's there captain,he looks good value for some comedy moments this season.

57 minutes ago, mfc said:

There detached from reality that lot up there.there watching a team that has the likes of hayes and mcrorie in being managed by jim goodwin,what is it there expecting exactly :lol:that centre half that's there captain,he looks good value for some comedy moments this season.

The also have a number 3 who is the ugliest since Doug Rougvie

3 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Thinking of changing my handle to Tower-Block Mink from Scumville.

John Swinburne told me that  after Kirky's shot gave us a cup  win at Pittodrie in 1991, a fur-coated "lady" in the main stand told him she hoped that  they shut Ravenscraig  on Monday.

Always remember Pittodrie means "farm of the dung-heap" in the Gaelic. IIRC Aberdeen fans were even banned from the Social Club in Edward Street  for offensive behaviour.

Hi ya Tower Block Mink from Scumville :pleasantry: