Aberdeen v Motherwell 13/08/2022

SteelmaninOZ

The Aberdeen forum is the only other club forum I ever go on. Went on it the night we beat them just after paw broon left us for them .

The level of their anger is so entertaining, I have to go back every time we beat them.  The endless debates about why the 80's just won't seem to come back and how they're a 'massive successful club' who just need the right managerial appointment are a joy to behold :lol:

3 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Always remember Pittodrie means "farm of the dung-heap" in the Gaelic. IIRC Aberdeen fans were even banned from the Social Club in Edward Street  for offensive behaviour.

There is a random sign in the last stretch of country road before you get to Dundee that said Pittodrie - Place of manure and it has been there since I was wee, always thought it was a joke.

Apart from enjoying some consistency in the league under McInnes they have always been relatively keech in my lifetime, you would think fans of a certain vintage within their support would have made peace with that fact by now. 

A great result and a great team display.

Thought before the game that Aberdeen had improved this season and would win - very happy to be wrong. 
I think that the way Aberdeen play suits us as they don’t pack the defence which gives us the room to play.
Couple that with the new apparent freedom that the players have to be more creative and their refusal to capitulate when they went behind, gives me a lot of hope for the season. 
I’d add a caveat that there will be more teams that are going to try and pack the defence than ones that will play an attacking game against us so we need to workout how to get a goal to force them out in those games or we could end up watching plenty of shitfests. 

7 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

The Aberdeen forum is the only other club forum I ever go on. Went on it the night we beat them just after paw broon left us for them .

The level of their anger is so entertaining, I have to go back every time we beat them.  The endless debates about why the 80's just won't seem to come back and how they're a 'massive successful club' who just need the right managerial appointment are a joy to behold :lol:

It's one I've always enjoyed reading also when we triumph which is more often than not these days. Last night it was 27 pages of pure gold, it started with ridiculous scoreline predictions, how much they owe us one, then they hoped the team would take it in turns to snap KVV and so forth. It was nice to see all the optimism crash when Spittal scored. It is well worth getting the blue riband looked out and reading it while slurping tea.

Delighted with our performance yesterday, to think we missed plenty sitters and still scored three. Looking forward to Saturday same again please.

• Like 1

Watching highlights what is strange is that it shows that Alexander did make some decent signings yet didn't play them in their best role or allow them freedom to go out and express themselves, Goss the prime example of this.

It's only one game so not going to get carried away but certainly very encouraging especially if Hammy can get a few additions in. COYW

What a buzz that result was, more than happy to find my initial worries about Hammell seem unfounded, even though it's very early days. 

Like @grizzlyg says, it's utterly bizzare Alexander signed the majority of the starting 11, only to play them out of position and force them into playing absolute nonsense. I always thought the majority of the blame lay with Alexander, but the amount of penetration we had on Saturday was a mental change. Next week will be a good indication of solid progress.

I really liked the balance of Goss, Slattery and Cornelius. The enhanced width on the pitch really benefited Goss, his passing was sublime all day (aside for a 15 min drop off just before half time) 

You never know, maybe the Nick Daws recruitment approach is in fact good, but Alexanderball was the sole problem,  Joe Efford even beat a player with a stepover! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was a fine result great entertainment, the arrogance of Aberdeen fans is off the scale. You'd think with the shite they've endured over 25 years that would have been knocked out of them a bit. Weekend also topped off with Tony Watts Dundee UTD  career starting to implode. Their fans are hanging him out to dry and apparently a big bust up with him and Jack Ross at Tynecastle. .... Karma is a lovely thing.

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Weekend also topped off with Tony Watts Dundee UTD  career starting to implode. Their fans are hanging him out to dry and apparently a big bust up with him and Jack Ross at Tynecastle. .... Karma is a lovely thing.

We clearly got the best 6 months of his career when he was motivated to earn a big contract. 

Whether this actually happened or not it's definitely true.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

It was a fine result great entertainment, the arrogance of Aberdeen fans is off the scale. You'd think with the shite they've endured over 25 years that would have been knocked out of them a bit. Weekend also topped off with Tony Watts Dundee UTD  career starting to implode. Their fans are hanging him out to dry and apparently a big bust up with him and Jack Ross at Tynecastle. .... Karma is a lovely thing.

Can’t see many on here shedding a tear hearing that. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

We clearly got the best 6 months of his career when he was motivated to earn a big contract. 

Whether this actually happened or not it's definitely true.

Bring him back, still more technical ability then just about anyone else in the squad, we can manage the madness. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I'd have him back - quality player who seemed to enjoy being at the club.   Depends on whether GA was the reason he left. 

I actually thought I would be the only one, I know the vast majority won’t due to the way he left but in his case it’s simply him being him, a pretty simple dafty. Probably never going to happen, we may have a manager who would not touch him with a barge pole, but he’s got an ability we rarely manage in find in new signings and hey maybe this time he may finally learn enough is enough with the moving around.

18 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I actually thought I would be the only one, I know the vast majority won’t due to the way he left but in his case it’s simply him being him, a pretty simple dafty. Probably never going to happen, we may have a manager who would not touch him with a barge pole, but he’s got an ability we rarely manage in find in new signings and hey maybe this time he may finally learn enough is enough with the moving around.

must be the good Yorkshire air that makes us think this way Yorky. 

Im probably well off base but I thought he had settled really well, liked the club and would have stayed longer. I got the sense there was some form of rift with GA as there was talks about extending his contract which abruptly ended at the same time GA was extended.  

Overall suspect Hammy will have a good view and  know if he's one of those players who will add value v's disrupt the team - eg the 9/10 players hammy mentioned last week. 

Would never want him back.Him and his agent went  about it in a very slimy way forcing the club into a corner by making it very public and no I couldn't give a rat's ass about how much more money  went onto earning and such.

Watt is a player who hit a rich spell of form with us and think that's it from him he got a good  decent move on back of it and tbh I have seen nothing from him since his move telling me he has kept up this form exactly the opposite.

New ideas with new people at the helm let's progress with players who want to be here.

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

I'd have him back - quality player who seemed to enjoy being at the club.   Depends on whether GA was the reason he left. 

If he's willing to play for £1500 a week sure no probs with that, won't be happening and anyone wanting him will need to give UTd some kind of fee I'd suspect.  However nothing to suggest his UTD days are over and at £160,000 a goal for UTD he could be there a while.  ;)