Motherwell v Livingston 20/08/2022

SteelmaninOZ

4 hours ago, numpty said:

Well, I write software for a living, and I'd find it quite complicated. But admittedly I'm not all that good :) 

You are already ahead of me on that front but I know there are automated vision inspection systems out there that do wonders with a video image. 

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

On balance I didn't think it was a penalty but none of the camera angles were particularly good and I wouldn't rule out the ref being right.  The best camera angle would have been near the corner flag. 

Looked as clear as you like from the angle behind the goals to me. Never touched his arm, but can see why the linesman would have thought it did.

7 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

On balance I didn't think it was a penalty but none of the camera angles were particularly good and I wouldn't rule out the ref being right.  The best camera angle would have been near the corner flag. 

And that’s where the linesman was positioned and he gave it - not the referee.

22 hours ago, numpty said:

It actually is fairly complicated, given they have to take into account any slope on the pitch etc.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1488423

The SPFL system requires at least six manned cameras at each ground, fwiw.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11781/12593541/var-scottish-premiership-to-introduce-video-technology-after-crucial-vote

Is that why the lines were squinty to start with?

On 8/21/2022 at 7:56 PM, GazzyB said:

I thought Lundstram’s was a red. That type of foul that stops a breakaway is of course usually a yellow, but when he is miles away from the ball, has absolutely no intention of playing for the ball, and it’s knee height, that’s a red for me.

I haven’t seen the Celtic game today but I’ve read online that none of the Celtic fouls merited a booking. I really don’t think refs are biased, just extremely incompetent. VAR will for sure help with that in this country. 

if he had sent the hibs boy off in first half, fair dues, that was actually a worse foul ....there is then 2 tackles in the ross county game which were definitely worse and dangerous

, i know that isnt colums doing but there has to be some consensus in what merits a red....its the age old thing about consistency