Motherwell Supporters Trust Open Letter

Frazzie

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It shows a shoot-themselves-in-the-foot style thinking that rather than listen to supporters, they'd try and fleece them in the face of there being telly coverage and people tightening belts.

they're maybe just trying to make the most money possible? if clubs like us and killie could make more money by letting people in cheaper i'm sure they would.

Thanks to Motherwell_Fan for bringing this matter to the attention of the MST. Ideally, this letter will see Kilmarnock reducing our prices accordingly for saturday. If not, it should at least have an impact on their pricing structure for next season. Fingers crossed....

Hi Kirsten ,

I am contacting you on behalf of the Motherwell Supporters Trust regarding the pricing structure for Saturday's SPL game between Kilmarnock and Motherwell.

From our understanding of the information on your own and the Motherwell FC website the prices for the game are as follows.

Moffat stand(home)

£15 adults

£10 over 65, under 18, student

£5 under 16

Chadwick stand(away)

£20 adults

£14 over 65, under 18, student

£5 under 12

It is also our understanding that rule C14.6.1 within the SPL Handbook mentions that comparative prices should be charged for comparative facilities. As both the Moffat and Chadwick Stands are almost identical in structure and are both behind the goals , shouldn't it be the case that the prices for both stands should be the same?

A number of Motherwell fans have expressed their grievances regarding this issue and with that game being shown live on television it is a worry that a number of people may choose to watch what is a huge game for both clubs on the television , rather than travelling to Rugby Park.

I hope this email has been sent in the right direction , if not could you please forward it to the relevant personnel?

Regards

Motherwell Supporters Trust

I will post up any response we receive as soon as we get it.

Frazzle

Well done mate , I hadn't picked up on the pricing issue hope something comes of it

I'm not a big fan of visiting other fans' sites, as it's usually a pointless excuse to wind people up but having read your 'open letter' to our club secretary I thought it was worth making a few points (feel free tp shift this if you don't like opposition fans here, cheers).

- In the first instance the widest point in this whole debate is that football in Scotland is far, far too expensive for a league which completely lacks diversity, entertainment, competition or quality. A sensible, concerted and organised effort to do something about this would be excellent and would no doubt be supported by fans around the country, especially if it meant the 'wee' clubs were able to work together a bit more intelligently, arrange reciprocal deals, away 'season tickets' and stop treating fans like value-less cattle.

- However, the letter does smack slightly of hypocricy. Fir Park is famous, or should I say infamous, amongst many away fans for the very poor treatment of visiting fans. In all honesty I can only say the Old Firm manage to treat visitors in a poorer way. We've put up with many years of unequal ticket prices at Fir Park and been baffled by our treatment. I can assure you that this is often allied to poor service, an antagonistic attitude and food that runs out after about 10 minutes.

- Letters of complaint or questions about pricing, arguments and poor service from away fans go completely ignored by Motherwell, so consider yourself blessed that Kilmarnock take paying customers on both sides a bit more seriously.

- I know you acknowledge it in your letter, but Motherwell haven't done anything in previous times to make Kilmarnock fans want to come to the ground. No discounts for tv games etc, so not entirely sure why Motherwell want to be a special case for 400 people.

- Rugby Park, with arguably better facilities, is cheaper than Fir Park anyway.

- Today's game was the cheapest in the entire SPL. Perhaps it would be good to write a second letter to the club thanking them for charging you less than you'd have paid at any other game today. I'm amazed that some of you used the price as an excuse not to support your team just down the road when the game is cheaper than your home games. That your 'celebrity fan' chose to make the same weird point about pricing at RP without noticing that we're charging less than anyone else today speaks volumes.

- The Moffat Stand at Rugby Park has always been a family stand with special pricing and offers. Because an away fan is not aware of this does not change that fact.

- It seems odd that a properly registered Trust would go to the extent of breaking confidences and publishing good faith correspondences from a club which has made an effort to answer a question to score such a cheap point on such a weak argument. Is this the worst thing you've experienced as an away fan this season? If so you've been terribly lucky.

- Her name's Kirsten, not Karen.

- As for the point about forking out money to suffer watching Killie try to stop Motherwell playing, it looked quite the opposite from where I was sitting (which incidentally cost me £20).

Anyway, there's a good point in there somewhere - we're not getting value for money across the board, be it £20 at RP or the £25 we've been asked for to sit at Fir Park, and hopefully something can be done about it in the long term, but a weak pop at a completely rooked SPL competitor trying to make enough money to keep going hardly seems the way to do it. Is almost £30 for a 'limited view' seat at Parkhead, for example, not a far better target?

All the best for the future. At some stage I think clubs of our size are going to have to realise that we're stronger together, and when Killie, Well, Falkirk, Dundee United, Inverness etc etc start to work together perhaps Scottish football and the SPL might have a future slightly brighter than it looks right now.

Cheers for the Killie perspective Travis.

To roughly respond to some of your points I think its already been acknowledged in the thread that it was slightly hypocritical of Motherwell to ask the question given there was no reduction for your visit to Motherwell earlier in the season. Motherwell fans were however as equally baffled then that there were no reductions for that game given it was a Monday night - and many were as critical of MFC as they might appear to have been with Killie.

As a club who were part of the season ticket holder exchange trial a couple of seasons ago and who have reduced prices in the past, why not ask the question of your club. A reduction might well have seen more than 400 away fans make the trip and as such earn your club more money.

I can't comment on your experiences at Fir Park but there has been a new general manager installed since your last visit who you may find more inclined to respond to your comments. Briefly though you'll find your paying more than a *section* of Motherwell fans only because the facilities in that area are worse than anywhere else - we've got dustbins catching leaks from the roofs for example in the East Stand!

Your last paragraph though I don't think you'll have many disagreeing with.

I'm amazed that some of you used the price as an excuse not to support your team just down the road when the game is cheaper than your home games. That your 'celebrity fan' chose to make the same weird point about pricing at RP without noticing that we're charging less than anyone else today speaks volumes.

After you commented that football is too expensive, surely the price then becomes extremely relevant when deciding upon whether or not you go to the game? Especially an away game, with a lunchtime kick-off, and live on Setanta. Motherwell fans can also watch games at Fir Park for less than £20.

Why does Tam Cowans article speak volumes?

You raise some good points that no 'Well fan would really quibble with but let yourself down by not being able to resist having a dig about matters on the pitch, which isn't relevant, and not what the letter to your club was about.

So what if the they got the lassies name wrong?! It still found it's way to the appropriote person.

To be fair I only mentioned matters on the pitch because the Kilmarnock team were used as one of the excuses for not attending, making it relevant and I was trying to cover all the main points raised on the thread rather than letting myself down with a pointless aside. I don't think I'd have bothered mentioning it if it hadn't been raised as an issue, and I thought the game showed that reason to be pretty invalid. In the end though all the best players; Craigan, Hay, Lilley, were all defenders.

In all fairness though, I wouldn't expect to come onto another fans' site and get universal agreement on everything.

Awrabest.

Every issue you had regarding Motherwell would probably be agreed with by Motherwell fans, anyone who reads these boards regularly will tell you many fans aren't happy with many (if not all!) the decisions the board make here.

The point of the letter being put on here was to show transparency in the Trust making efforts to address something the fans weren't happy about. It was not an attack on Kilmarnock FC as a whole, merely a request for the pricing of one game to consider being revised.

Nearly every paragraph you posted however contained a sly dig at Motherwell which had nothing to do with what the original letter was about.