How I Became A Well Fan

Well Up For It!

How I Became A Well Fan  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Are you from a Well supporting background?

• Nope - fans of another team
    • Aye
  2. 2. If no - what team does your family support?

• Rangers
    • Celtic
    • Other SPL
    • Other non-SPL

I was talking to my uncle last night about The 'Well, with both of us being fans. He was joking that it was him that got me to follow the 'Well by taking me to games when I was a bairn. My old boy had tendancies toward Rangers - although he has gone to Well games with me and my bros over the years and calls himself a Motherwell fan now - and my Uncle took it upon himself to "recruit me!"

I can remember my first game very vaguely - it was against Hamilton and I reckon it was 20years ago this week! It was at Fir Park, and all I can remember is complaining all game that I couldn't see for all the folk standing - was only 4 or 5.

Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this?

Also would be interesting to hear what was folks first Motherwell games and why they became a Motherwell fan in the first place.

For me it was a few factors:

• Was pulled between my mums Celtic daft side of the family and dads Rangers daft side of the family - so didn't want to upset any of them and picked a neutral team.
  • Despite not being from Motherwell, it was my local club - well the best of my local clubs (ie Airdrie and Hamilton)
  • The '91 Cup Final is probably the first game I can vividly remember - I was awestruck at the Stadium and atmosphere.
  • My Uncle was a lifelong Well fan and season ticket holder who went out his way to take me to games with his son, my cousin who I looked up to when I was young.
  • And...I remember meeting Tom Boyd when he came to our BB prize giving in 1990 (I think) and he was brilliant!

Since then I've never looked back!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad was a Clyde fan in his younger days, coming from Rutherglen as he did. His dad took him and instilled in him that you should always support your local team.

He took me to my first game in April 1982 against Clydebank at Fir Park when we were in Division One. It ended 0-0 but was enough to clinch the championship. So I saw no goals but did witness a trophy presentation!

I was brought up by a Steelman.......and my first game was the Texaco Cup...I went with two chaps from Dalziel High School. It was the first time I lifted my feet off the ground, and was transported by the crowd...(tbh..I only went cos I fancied one of them!!)

born into a 'well supporting family (both parents and grand-parents!!)

so it really was a no-brainer for me !!

coming from Law originally, the pressure was on as most of the kids at school with me were Rangers fans.

went to a few games with my mum early on, but started to go on my own when we were 1st division, and earliest memories are of the 84-85 season when we won promotion.

apparently my first game was against Coventry but i dont remember it !!

the earliest game I remember was against the mighty Ajax but I cant for the life of me remember when it was !! will guess at late 70's

family tradition has been passed down and now I've got 2 boys (9 year old and 3 year old ) both of them 'Well fans (aint easy in Larkhall you know ) and both had their first games aged 2 !!!

First game was a League cup game versus Clyde in about 1967, tagged along with my big brother (I suspect my Mum told him if he didn't take me and keep an eye on me he wasn't going)

For years I was convinced it was a nil nil draw till I read 'Well again and it turns out it was a 2-2 cracker :lol: I remember just about none of it.

I'm still going now but my brother isn't. I got him and his daughter those free season ticket jobs for the Hamilton game, I doubt he'll rush back. :notworthy:

My dad and uncles are all lifelong 'Well fans and first took me to Wishaw to see the Scottish Cup and the team on the open top bus. A couple of years after that, they took me to a couple of games, but my dad didn't think it was a very girly thing to be going to and stopped takng me. But by then I was Motherwell daft and tagged along with my uncles whenever I could and to this day still sit with them every home game.

Just couldn't imagine not being a Motherwell fan.

Raised in Fife by a mother from Inverclyde and a father from Newcastle, no family tradition of watching any particular team and not even much family interest in football, I probably have less good reason than anyone to be a Motherwell supporter.

Motherwell were just the first team anyone took me to see. Guys my dad knew through work took me through to a few games about 20 years ago and I just stuck at it. Wouldn't change it now.

August 1981. I'd never been to a football game before, but one of my brothers (Shellic fan) went with his pal (Partick fan) to a league cup tie at Fir Park, and took me along. Had no affinity to anyone at that point, but I somehow instantly fell for the Motherwell bug and was nearly thrown out of the away end I seem to recall. We lost 0-1 and I remember Alan Rough saving a Brian McLaughlin penalty. Went back on my own the next week as we beat Queen's Park 1-0 thanks to a late, late Wullie Irvine header (think he was about two millimetres off the turf when he met the ball) and have been absolutely hooked ever since.

Went back on my own the next week as we beat Queen's Park 1-0 thanks to a late, late Wullie Irvine header (think he was about two millimetres off the turf when he met the ball) and have been absolutely hooked ever since.
I remember that game well. I think you are giving him too much credit, though. I swear he had hit the ground before he managed to get his header in.

Most of my family are Celtic fans, and most of my mates are Rangers fans. My dad was a Motherwell fan as was his dad, whom I never met. My dad took me to see Motherwell at Fir park when i was about 5 or 6, I remember the atmosphere vividly, the shouting, singing, and swearing. We won about 5-3 against Airdrie and it was a terrific afternoon, I was hooked. I talked about it all the way home, told my mum all about it when I got in, and fell asleep dreaming about it. I had never felt so emotionally involved in anything like that before.

Just to be sure mty dad took me to a European match at Parkhead, Celtic v Basle, Celtic won 5-0 I believe, but I honestly couldn't have told you the score without looking it up. All I remember is the wee lights going on all over the place, and only realising years afterwards that it was people smoking. I thought the place was infested with fireflies.

When I asked my dad the following day if Motherwell were playing at home on the Saturday and if we were going, he knew I was a Motherwell fan.

Growing up, I never knew any other Motherwell fans, everyone where I lived supported one of the bigot brothers. So being a Motherwell supporter was like being a member of a very special, very select club. I enjoyed it and still do.

As kids playing football in Earnock I started looking for a team to support, one of my classmates supported Celtic so I decided I would also support Celtic.

But I quickly learned that there was an intractable divide and Celtic was on the wrong side as far as my household was concerned.

Another friend supported Aberdeen, so that was no use, and Weeyin supported Motherwell. So when Motherwell played Rangers a few weeks later my Blue Nosed father happily took me to the game, probably hoping I'd be impressed with his boyhood team and feeling confident that their 5 - 0 win would convince me to support the team in blue...

...But I've been a Dosser ever since that game in 1974. :unsure:

And to be fair my father did continue to take me to the games, even when it meant driving passed Ibrox on our way to Fir Park from our new home in Renfrewshire.

My dad was a Rangers fan, and tatooed a 1690 onto his wrist in Indian Ink. One day he looked at it and was raging. He went to Motherwell game and stuck with them. He has instilled in me since birth that I should be a well fan.

First game I can remember was a 2-2 draw with United. Tony Vaughan scored the equaliser.

I vaguely remember Lee McCulloch getting sent off in one of the first games I went to, was the most blatant handball I've ever seen.

i'm a bit suprised by the amount of people who support a different team from their dad. what's the point in the having a wean, feeding it, clothing it, buying it christmas presents if it isn't even going to support the same team as you. i'd put the ungrateful wee bastard up for adoption.

i'm a bit suprised by the amount of people who support a different team from their dad. what's the point in the having a wean, feeding it, clothing it, buying it christmas presents if it isn't even going to support the same team as you. i'd put the ungrateful wee bastard up for adoption.

:unsure:

I'm not a parent, but I must say I would find it very strange if my children didn't support Motherwell. I don't like the idea of me having to put up with them supporting another team...in fact - they won't be. hey will be brainwashed with all things Motherwell!!

Looking forward to see how your Cambodian offspring turns out... well, they'll be chumming about with their mother no doubt as the age gap is what? 11? :unsure:

:unsure:

I'm not a parent, but I must say I would find it very strange if my children didn't support Motherwell. I don't like the idea of me having to put up with them supporting another team...in fact - they won't be. hey will be brainwashed with all things Motherwell!!

anybody want to own up to sireing a h*n or a tim?