Standing Areas / Dunfermline Fans

Infamous Wee Grafter

The Motherwell Supporters Trust would like to take this opportunity to express our support to our Dunfermline colleagues with their recent statement regarding safe standing areas.

While we appreciate the health and safety concerns surrounding a standing area, we feel that this could be easily vetted and policed in most Scottish grounds. We are also believe that the initial expense of creating such a section in the stadium would be offset by an increase in attendance and low maintenance costs.

In recent years, the increase in ticket prices and the growing number of televised matches has led to both reduced attendances and a significant decline in atmosphere.

We urge clubs to consider safe standing areas as a way of greatly enhancing the matchday experience for supporters.

The Motherwell Supporters Trust would also reassure Motherwell FC that we would be happy to assist wherever necessary if this idea was to be considered, and would be absolutely delighted if our club was to be the first in the SPL to attempt such a step.

Whilst I agree with the petition, I can't help but think that even if there were a change in the law, our board would be very relectant to take any seating areas away as they've spent a fortune installing them in the first place.

Whilst I agree with the petition, I can't help but think that even if there were a change in the law, our board would be very relectant to take any seating areas away as they've spent a fortune installing them in the first place.

They spent a good whack on installing USH but were quite happy to drill big fuck off holes in it :blink:

While I agree with their points (and I will sign the petition) what will the impact be on crowds in European competiton? UEFA insists on all-seated stadia, so do we need to persuade them too?

For Europe it would either be an empty terrace,or the German style reversible terrace which would be a fairly large initial cost. UEFA are never gonna stray from all seated grounds

Yep.

First we will need to get contracts drawn up that when you had over Money/Buy a Season Ticket you agree that any injury caused while watching the football is your own fault... even if it turns out not being. Football Clubs are far to scared, and the with Ambulance Chasers looking for new Clients each week I can't blame them.

standing.jpg

Example of Safe-Standing

In theory the existing seats could remain - just additional framework added to existing set-up.

For European Games, they would force us to use the seat(as applied today).

But i ain't no safe-standing expert

As good as that looks, wouldn't the barrier block your view when sitting? Certainly looks that way from the picture!

I actually like sitting in the east stand. the old knees and back don't like me to stand up still for too long! folks should have a choice though.

I'll second that. Standing in a crowd is all very well if you're over 6ft but if you're not it can be a bit of a pain. Not everyone in our support will be rushing to rip out seats. Some season ticket holders could well be turfed out of their seats against their will for example. Presumably clubs would still charge the same amount for standing areas?

There probably is a place for standing areas, but IF this initiative ever came to fruition it would have to be very carefully planned, as there will be a number of issues to be thought out.