Motherwell v Kilmarnock (Mon)

Gaag

Smith frustrates me more than any other player we have at the moment. Sometimes he's just so good but then he'll do something fucking stupid like (allegedly) shout 'keepers' then not move. What's worse is how he can pull off saves like the penatly against Aberdeen a few years back and the multiple saves against Nancy then he just goes into Paul Robinson mode. Argh!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he didn't have those momentary fuck ups he'd be at a far better level than Motherwell.

You could apply that to nearly everyone in our team though. Its a bit like saying that if our team were consistent then we'd be serious challengers for Europe every season.

Smith is a great shot-stopper but its his only real strength. He still has a lots of other parts of his game which require work namely dealing with crosses and commanding his box. I think he won't really peak until he is in his early 30s and has a bit of good experience and maturity about him. What worries me is that if he were to leave then I can't think of another goalkeeper in Scotland who would be an able replacement for him. I think its more likely that we'll have to go for some obscure reserve/3rd team choice in lower level English leagues.

People talk about Hughes and Porter being the most vital for next season to be tied up.

Smith is by far the most important.

You just have to look at other SPL teams and it just shows how difficult it is to pick up a keeper.

Hibs - McNeil, MaKalamby - Absolutely dreadful, and I think every team relishes seeing MaCalamity on the teamsheet.

Falkirk - Flinders, Olejnik - two loans from down south and both Falkirk fans heavily criticise, we have seen first hand Olejnik's mistake and Flinders mistakes against ICT the other week are apparently not just just a one-off.

Caley - Esson, Fraser - neither can hold down a first team place at Caley, due to form and well injuries as well. Esson has never been first choice anywhere in his career.

Hearts - Kello, Kurskis (going back to last season) - Error prone and more liable to throwing it into their own net than actually saving it

Only really United with Zaluska and Killie with Combe would be properly satisfied with there keeper.

Smith may have his faults, but I think there would be half a dozen teams in the SPL that would jump at the chance to sign him. Not to mention Championship Clubs. Far more important than Hughes and Porter. There are tonnes of Midfielders and Strikers out there, but getting the keeper right is the most vital component. I mean we could keep the other two and score barrels of goals but without a decent keeper it will be useless.

Not confident with the way he is sounding, very similar to Roscoe, compare that to Combe's interview for Setanta, basically saying "gimme a contract and I will sign it, I am happy here".

Guest JohnnyDefault

Overall I like Smith - however I don't think he's the finished article and has gaps in his game that he hasn't closed consistently.

He's had some cracking games this year - particularly vs Nancy away and Rangers at home where he completey bossed the 18yd box.

I think though that there are better keepers out there and we should be striving to bring one in regardless of whether he stays or goes.

After a pretty poor display on Monday - his going public 'hardball' position has crumbled a bit.

Right now I'm not fussed whether he stays or he goes - and if I was MMG on Monday night at 22.00 I'd have told him and his agent to get the Yellow Pages open at the 'F for Football Club' page.

Well need to get an offer on the table - he needs to sign it or not, stay or go.

We've got a league campaign to be worrying about!

Hibs - McNeil, MaKalamby - Absolutely dreadful, and I think every team relishes seeing MaCalamity on the teamsheet.

I'm sure every team used to relish seeing Bob Malcolm's name in the Rangers team. I wonder if we were to sign MaKalamby that many folk would suddenly say that his distribution was great. ;)

I'd meant to say... from where I was in the Cooper, I think I heard Buzz shout "keeper's" for their first, yet he didn't move.

However, I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm?

I didn't hear him shout and he made no effort to come for it which is fair enough as it was never his ball as there were far too many players in front of him. Klimpl was directly in front of him on the line and had allowed himself to be blocked off by one of the Killie players.

Having seen the highlights I would say it's more down to the defender who got left by Pascali's run.

Actually, the highlights managed to make us look a bit unlucky which certainly wasn't the impression I got at the time.