In's And Out's

AndyRoss

To be honest Fitzpatrick hasn't played any decent part this season. At least McGarry had a good game in Wales.

But I suppose that won't count because it was against a purely amateurish Llanelli team.

I think Fitzpatrick would bring alot to a team like Hamilton or St. Mirren, teams that need that bit more grit then teams who try to play football.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest Fitzpatrick hasn't played any decent part this season. At least McGarry had a good game in Wales.

Can't play a decent part if you don't get picked. I know that suggests he hasn't been impressing in training but to say that McGarry's had a better season than Fitzpatrick because he's had at least one good game when Fitzpatrick has spent 26 minutes on the pitch this year is simplifying things a bit...

Can't play a decent part if you don't get picked. I know that suggests he hasn't been impressing in training but to say that McGarry's had a better season than Fitzpatrick because he's had at least one good game when Fitzpatrick has spent 26 minutes on the pitch this year is simplifying things a bit...

I do see your point. Where do you think the problem lies though?

His attitude? Him simply not being good enough? Gannons style of play?

I do see your point. Where do you think the problem lies though?

His attitude? Him simply not being good enough? Gannons style of play?

I honestly don't know. Whatever you think of Fitzpatrick, whenever he's been called upon he's always given 100% so I reckon his attitude is unlikely to be the problem. Gannon clearly feels there are other players better equipped to play the game he wants. Whether that means Gannon doesn't rate him as a player or that he doesn't fit into Gannon's style of play, your guess is as good as mine...

Is this the same 'many' that knew Clarky wasn't good enough for some time? Or that Bob Malcom was good enough?

Have I ever questioned Clarky, did I ever say Bob Malcolm was good enough........nah don't think so. You, like me, are entitled to your opinion, but I don't agree with peoples scaremongering! I think Gannon is better qualified than us all to judge what is right or what is wrong......no?

I'd definitely get rid of McGarry before Fitzpatrick. Neither are world beaters, but McGarry is a first division player, at best I stress, he wouldn't even stand out in a good first division team, and he isn't likely to improve. One thing Fitzpatrick does have over him is time, he could yet be honed into a useful player. To be honest, Darren Smith leaving won't be tragic, he has scored some vital goals for us in the past, but with the amount of wingers we now have, he could end up just being a burden on the wage bill.

I think that Fitzpatrick would be useful in the hard winter months when people are booting Forbes up in the air. I also reckon he'd be of more use against the likes of the Old Firm as he's better at the moment at tracking runners, and the other ugly defensive stuff.

We have Reynolds for that if need be. For all I wanted him to do well I think it's time for him to move on. No offence to his maw but he's a first divison player

For some reason that I can't really fathom, neither Fitzpatrick or Smith have qiute made the impact that there initial skill has suggested that they could. However, as Gannon has publicly stated, he is there to improve the young players we have at Motherwell and they do fall into this category.

Therefore, I would suggest that improving both Fitzpatrick & Smith into playing in the style that he wants should also be as much a priority as doing this for the likes of Slane/Forbes/Hutchison/Murphy. Both Fitzpatrick and Smith have proved to be important players at various stages in their careers at Motherwell and I hope for that to continue.

However, finances may well dictate that these players may well have to consider their options come January if they haven't made an impact on the squad (as also McGarry).

Either way, I would urge everyone to go all 'Happy-Clappy' :lol: on the players any time they do make an appearance in a Motherwell shirt to show that we are all wishing every success in their endeavours.

They may not be everyone's idea of silky soccer but I have yet to understand what can be gained from fans booing their own players :lol: (& this unfortunately has happened in the past). Leave the coach to give them a rollicking for a mis-placed pass and continue to cheer them on. At least that way they won't be too scared of trying the pass...

Agree with earlier post regarding need for a right back. Was there not a mention of a Man U youngster on loan?

Saunders is promising but needs another season before he is ready to take the role full time. Working with JG over the season will improve him to the point where he can eventually make the position his for years to come. There is time for Saunders and overplaying him in the first team could do more harm than good. Particularly if he defence is under pressure.

As for Stevie H, he is the best left back we have and cannot be replaced unless we get someone better. JG does not take prisoners so Hammell and everyone else who wants to be part of our future will need to earn their place, train hard and consistently turn in good performances.

Agree with earlier post regarding need for a right back. Was there not a mention of a Man U youngster on loan?

Ritchie de Laet that was, apparently on trial with us. But, he featured last week for Man United vs Valencia at Old Trafford and to be honest, never looked out of place. Had a very good performance, and the MUTV commentators certainly raved about it anyway. Obviously far down the pecking order with O'Shea, Rafael, Fabio, Neville, Brown and to a lesser extent Hargreaves (if he ever gets himself fit, is more than capable of playing RB). But, looks like nothing will materialise with him and us.

Have I ever questioned Clarky, did I ever say Bob Malcolm was good enough........nah don't think so. You, like me, are entitled to your opinion, but I don't agree with peoples scaremongering! I think Gannon is better qualified than us all to judge what is right or what is wrong......no?
You claimed 'many' of you had said Fitzpatrick was crap. I was pointing out that many Motherwell supporters also hated Clarky and many Motherwell supporters also loved Bob Malcolm i.e. just because a lot of people think it, doesn't necessarily make it right.

I haven't offered an opinion on Fitzpatrick; only on the irrationality of 'many' fans.

I reckon it's more a case of Gannon thinking that other people in the squad are better equipped for the type of football he wants to play, or for the tactics he has employed so far.

Perhaps best for them to move on if they won't get first team football here, but I think they'd both still offer something over the course of the season if they stayed.

To be honest I don't really rate Fitzy or DLS that much, but im not too worried when they appear on the field and at the moment I'de rather keep them as back up considering our squad size.

McGarry on the other hand - punt him unless of course the tea lady is in danger of pulling her hamstrings or something. Maybe we can sell him back to St Mirren, thats about his level.

If DLS had a better end product I could see the arguement for having him stay - true though that an extended run in the first team may help but for a guy that really has the ability to put the frighteners on SPL defences - he never had the killer instinct for me. Be sad to see him go - but surely for the lads point of view - regular 1st team football has to be a priority.

As for Fitzy - will also have a special place with me after his ET goal aginst the Jambo's. Be dissapointed to see him go - he got a rough ride but never gave any less than 100% for the jersey, and I always thought of him possibly as a possible fullback if Hammell ever left or was injured.

In all, it's part of football guys, and to be honest I am surprised that we aint seen any bodies fall away from the squad yet - as I feel the manager has had adequate time to assess the squad.

Be sad to see them go - but they are young lads and just want to play 1st team football - unfortunately it's not going to be at Fir Park.

To be honest, I'd be a bit disappointed if either player was let go. Both have shown enough on occasion to merit another chance and for Gannon to pump them out without giving them a chance seem a bit unfair.

for Gannon to pump them out without giving them a chance seem a bit unfair.

Unfortunately for some players the training field is the only chance they will really get. That's the time to impress the manager and if they can't do the business there then Gannons hardly going to expect them to miracioulously improve just because they are going into a competitive game.

I quite like both players and think they have the ability to fit into a motherwell team. Maybe just not this one.