In's And Out's

AndyRoss

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't know why everyone is getting so excited whoever this is (if indeed they exist) is likely just to follow the proud line of neil tarrant, steven ferguson, grabban, alyidek and offiong.

and to answer someone further up the thread, sheridan got games near the end of the season because sutton was horrific at falkirk.

While I'd be overjoyed to see us sign another striker, am I the only one who thinks that the right back is the more pressing need right now? We have shown in every game since Llanelli at home the ability to score goals (a missed pen and woodwork struck in Albania, a missed sitter in Bucharest the only reasons for blanks in those games) from various areas in the team. Unfortunately, in every game we have also shown a real inability to defend properly for 90 minutes. I know Gannon is aware of this and is working towards remedying it, but if I was breaking my neck to get a player in this week, it would have been the defender. Don't get me wrong, I don't want the window to close with Sutton as our only recognised striker. But my main concern is the defence at the moment.

We have over a week so I'm not concerned. Yet. Although it does seem different to the first couple of weeks when Gannon was quickly identifying people and bringing them in...

I agree, we have a lot of good attack-minded players who can support Sutton in the target man role, and Murphy and McHugh are good enough at the moment so I think we're getting by in that area ok. However, we're a mess at the back and really need a right back at least, if not another centre half.

I'm confident we'll create chances in games, but I know we'll be conceding a few as well.

We have over a week so I'm not concerned. Yet. Although it does seem different to the first couple of weeks when Gannon was quickly identifying people and bringing them in...

Gone is the myth that selling our best players for decent ammounts will see that money re-invested in the squad. "Would you rather get money for them now and lose them in the summer for nothing?" we were asked. I'd much rather we had kept Clarkson and Quinn and lost them for nothing next summer to be honest. Perhaps financially these guys needed to be sold, but despite this and freeing up the wages of all the big earners it would appear we're still scraping around to see who we can get in on the cheap.

don't know why everyone is getting so excited whoever this is (if indeed they exist) is likely just to follow the proud line of neil tarrant, steven ferguson, grabban, alyidek and offiong.

and to answer someone further up the thread, sheridan got games near the end of the season because sutton was horrific at falkirk.

<_< when i read that word........i laughed, what a funny word.

Gone is the myth that selling our best players for decent ammounts will see that money re-invested in the squad. "Would you rather get money for them now and lose them in the summer for nothing?" we were asked. I'd much rather we had kept Clarkson and Quinn and lost them for nothing next summer to be honest. Perhaps financially these guys needed to be sold, but despite this and freeing up the wages of all the big earners it would appear we're still scraping around to see who we can get in on the cheap.

Us and every other spl team, this must have been the cheapest pre-season window ever

I know Gannon is aware of this and is working towards remedying it, but if I was breaking my neck to get a player in this week, it would have been the defender.
From his interview, it didn't' sound like he was breaking his neck. His concern seemed to make sure he brings in the right players before the window closes rather than worrying about signings before the Killie game.

Not sure if I quite agree with that.

Firstly I don't recall anybody from MFC asking us anything! But I don't believe there's any "perhaps financially" about it at all.

If recent history has taught us anything its that first and foremost you secure the foundations of the club. Then you see what you have to play with for your playing pool. If that means erring on the side of caution then that's the way it is has to be. Better Motherwell in the First Division solvent than bust.

Football fans as a rule generally want the board to speculate and get that extra player or two in who could make all the difference. Fuck, some Livi fans after everything they have been through and with just 600 at their first home game after being saved are still saying they should keep their full-timers and gamble on quick returns up the division. I can't believe they haven't learned any lessons and personally I'm thankful that our board seems to have a pretty sound grasp of when its appropriate to push the boat out (Hughes signing on a back of an impressive start under McGhee) and when to be more prudent (Clarkson and Quinn with no TV deal in place, investment in the pitch at a time of recession).

That said I haven't seen any evidence that we're scraping around trying to get folk on the cheap. I have seen the manager, perhaps Hateley apart, adopt a deliberate strategy of signing players who have impressed him in the past who have become available, who are of a certain age that their potential can be honed and developed. I haven't heard him say anything about having no finance and put the recent lull in signings, again Hateley apart, more down to the fact he's being more focused on who he wants to get.

It seems people on here want Jim Gannon to just make signings for the sake of it. Who cares Jim if you want to sign the 'correct' right back. People on here wat you to sign any right back from any team regardless of quality. Then they can say 'who is he? I'm totally uninspired at another League 1 signing'.

In Jim Gannon I trust in the moaning brigade I don't.

Keep the faith.

It seems people on here want Jim Gannon to just make signings for the sake of it. Who cares Jim if you want to sign the 'correct' right back. People on here wat you to sign any right back from any team regardless of quality. Then they can say 'who is he? I'm totally uninspired at another League 1 signing'.

In Jim Gannon I trust in the moaning brigade I don't.

Keep the faith.

What have you predicted today? 6-0 the 'Well? :notworthy:

What have you predicted today? 6-0 the 'Well? :D

That question really should have been asked in the match prediction thread! ;)

I didn't go for an actual score because I was unsure but I'l go for 3-2 well today. here was my thoughts on the correct thread :notworthy:

http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/ind...mp;#entry109759

Gone is the myth that selling our best players for decent ammounts will see that money re-invested in the squad.

What would be John Boyle's strategy in investing in the team? Is he going to invest in a side to challenge Rangers and Celtic for the league title? In our dreams maybe, but not realistic.

What he in truth wants is to spend enough to avoid relegation. And with the state of Falkirk and Hamilton these days, he's already done enough to achieve that.

So there may be a couple of players coming in, but that's it. For better or worse we have the squad for this season. Bit scary at the back, exciting breaks from midfield. Young players who will need our encouragement when they inevitably have the occasional stinker.

Looking forward to it immensely. But let's stop dreaming about who we may or may not sign. That was pre-season fluff. Forget it, and get behind the team we've got.

C'mon the Well!

Anichebs-oot would be a great signing but Everton have struggled with strikers fitness in previous years so him and maybe James Vaughan could be ruled out (or not!)

Man Utd would never send Macheda to us, but they are looking at another striker... but even at that, we'll never get Macheda!

Rhys Murphy of Arsenal? Or isn't this football manager!?

I also don't think Gannons the man whose going to brag about signing a youth stiker from Stoke or Hull or the likes... FUCKING HURRY UP!!

Alsoo, how good are our youth at the moment :D

"I am a bit frustrated we weren't able to do anything before the game today." Gannon admitted.

"The players are keen as they are not getting their chance at their current clubs. We still have a week left and we've targeted a few and we are hopeful the deals will come off.

"These two players would give us the balance to our squad and cover for injuries and also give us a chance to develop the young players."