In's And Out's

AndyRoss

I think this summer will be the biggest since McGhee arrived in terms of players arriving and departing the club.

At the mo we know that Hughes, Smith , McLean and Boab are yet to sign new contracts.

From those four I think we will see Smith , Hughes and Malcolm leaving. I'd be delighted if Brian McLean could stay fit over pre-season and prove to be a big part of the first team squad.

Will Reynolds attract more bids? - Always a class act when it comes to talking down moves to other clubs , but at the same time has never hidden his ambition to play at a higher level - if another £1million bid arrives , I would expect a different outcome than last summer.

Any other guys that you think it may be time to move on? I can't see many other players leaving with the exception of some of the younger players not considered good enough to make the jump to the first team following the decision to scrap the reserve league.

There are guys like Darren Smith , Steven McGarry , Marc Fitzpatrick who some may believe are not good enough for the SPL , but I think they are the versatlile type of player we need and in the current climate where squads are being trimmed having players who can play in a variety of positions is important.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd expect McLean to sign on, if he stays fit I'd imagine we'd be offering him a deal and with his recent history I can't see any club that could blow us out of the water on wages taking a punt on him just yet.

Smith all but said he away, Hughes I kinda expect to move on but think he might yet stay. Malcolm I'd be calling his taxi the now.

Interesting to see what sort of attention Reynolds attracts, I wasn't all that impressed by him last season and he been ropey this and no doubt we had a lot worse so not like I actively want him to go but if McLean(assuming he signs up again) stays fit we have a ready made replacement at least this time if a bid is accepted.

Like to see us find a decent left sided midfielder so we can stop having to put O'Brien out left.

We're lucky in a way. The goalie is already replaced. Klimpl is a better replacement for Malcolm and, as Malky says, McLean can replace Reynolds (also better if he stays injury-free). Worst case scenario is that Hughes (the least effective of our first choice midfield this season) is away, our defence is improved, and we've a million quid in the hippy. If we use that to sign a replacement for Hughes and a striker then we're laughing.

Frazzle

Can't get my head round the lack of respect for Stephen Hughes. He struggled with a few knocks earlier in the season but I still think he is a genuine class act.

He is the only player in the squad I'd be gutted to lose.

In terms of palyers coming in I think we'll need another Keeper, an experienced centre half, left midfielder and a striker. Thats assuming we keep most of the existing squad.

Agree with the majority of what has already been said. I do hope Hughes stays for one more year. Think he will if McGhee stays - and the same maybe applies to Buzz. As much as I like Reynolds, I'd take a £1m for him but only if the majority was going to be re-invested into the team. Other than thats, whats the point? Young Saunders may be ready for the jump up next season, allowing a little competition for the Defence.

I think there is a possibility Keef and McGarry could be off at the end of the season. The both are older players now and the lack of regular first team football could leave thewm wanting to go elsewhere. A few of the young boys such as DLS could be papped out on loan if suitable replacements are found. Think a lot is dependant on whether the reserves are still running next season (any news on that btw?)

The main targets for the summer for me is The Klimp on a permanent deal and McGhee staying for one more year. They two things are vital to having a good season next year!

Indeed i think we were very much a shop window for Hughes and he by and large given us a decent return. However has he done enough to impress championship clubs? He does have a touch of class but to my mind still pretty inconsistent. I'd fear more it'd be Hibs, Utd or Aberdeen that might be after him, could we hold of their interest?

Would like him to stay but much rather get Klimpl first. Saturdays howler aside he the rock to anchor the likes of Hughes around.

I just wonder what bearing our final league position will have.

The difference in finishing position obviously has a big bearing on what prize money we end up with and therefore what kitty McGhee will have to play with. It could be difference both in terms of what deals wer are in a position to offer the guys who are out of contract and what kind of calibre of player we might hope to attract to add to what we have.

There's also a psychologial element to it as well. It just looks a better selling the club to someone when we can say that we've finished in the top six and have made a push for Europe in consecutive seasons.

Several of the provincial sides like Livi, Dunfermline, Killie and ourselves have had their day in the sun finishing 3rd or 4th. Not so many have been able to consolidate that position the following season. If we could do that then that suggests the building blocks are there and last season hasn't just been a flash in the pan.

Not that I'm in anyway adding to the importance of Saturday's game you understand...... :lol:

Can't get my head round the lack of respect for Stephen Hughes. He struggled with a few knocks earlier in the season but I still think he is a genuine class act.

He is the only player in the squad I'd be gutted to lose.

I think you're spot on with that Lobey. I've said before that I think Hughes is the most talented player in the squad and when he plays well, he really drives the team. He struggled before christmas due to injury but just look at his performances over the last few months when he's been back to full fitness.

At this point, I think he's the key player we have to try and keep, even in front of Klimpl.

have any of our players that are out of contract at the end of the season been offered new deals.i hope big boab goes and we use his wages to keep to keep stevie hughes.i did hear were after leigh griffiths fae livingston he looks a good young players thats scored a few goals this season

A big physical centre forward is a must. Doubt we've got the funds to bring in someone of Ports level but just Clarky, Sutton and Murphy limits the type of football we can play and none of them will realistically break 10 maybe 15 goals a season.

Hate to say it but Kevin Kyle would've been a decent shout before Killie took him.

Can't understand those who don't rate Hughes! Some people do not understand how the dynamic of a football team works and tend to rate players on a) goals b) work rate c) tackling. Hughes has none of these but his passing and ability to control the pace of a game is undoubted. Would hate to see him leave.

A big physical centre forward is a must.

I'd like to see us make a move for Higdon from Falkirk if they go down. Big physical guy with a good presence up front. Always seems to do well against us.

Not sure if his contract is up though.

I'd like to see us make a move for Higdon from Falkirk if they go down. Big physical guy with a good presence up front. Always seems to do well against us.

Not sure if his contract is up though.

Falkirk have something like 14/15 out of contract-pretty sure Higdon is one of them. Would be a decent addition I reckon. I reckon Klimpl would be easier to replace than Hughes. While I rate Maros I feel he has been helped by the fact that we have not had a similar style of player in some years.

I would take several of Falkirks players. Higdon, Barr, Arfield, and Cregg for starters.

Will McGhee stay another year? When is his contract up anyway?

I've a feeling we won't get to keep Klimpl and with that in mind it would be madness to let Lasley go.

Boab, Fitzy, McGarry, and possibly D. Smith should be punted.

Definately need another stricker and left sided midfielder are essential.

I'd definitely punt D.Smith. I honestly hand on heart believe i am a better football player than him, i dont think ive ever seen him do anything good.

I'd take Higdon and Arfield from Falkirk nae bother aswell!

i would personally let mcgarry, fitzpatrick go you cant fault there effort but i think they are not good enough boab i think will be away aswell ive heard that we are trying to sign steve lovell also looking at jamie smith as both are out of contract