In's And Out's

AndyRoss

But for me we simply cannot only bring in 6 players. Nine have left and if all we do is bring in 8 or 9 on frees that's fine, the million in the bank from Clarky and Coach leaving will put us firmly in the black and allow for a transfer budget in January if required.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely if we had a small squad last season and 9 players have left since then, does only bringing in 6 players as some are saying not still leave us worse off than last season? Think were are looking for more than that tbh

I don't think last season's squad included Forbes, McHugh, Slane etc. And if it did, i don't think they ever realistically had a chance of playing under McGhee. Whereas with Gannon, he's already showed he's more than willing to give the youngsters a chance.

Yeah, ok, fair point there but I would still like to see us with a big enough squad that we dont have to resort to playing folk out of position, like Lasley at right back or whatever

We're in an unusual position having started our season so soon. I have every confidence that come August 15th, we'll have a number of new faces in the side.

Fraser: We DO need another experienced (ish) 'keeper in to battle for the number 1, if nothing else it will bring the best out of Fraser, you don;t want a 'Keeper who knows he is starting every week even if he is off form. Starting XI / Matchday Squad

Get back dubordeau, just watched a video of him on youtube and he really looked the part :O

But for me we simply cannot only bring in 6 players. Nine have left and if all we do is bring in 8 or 9 on frees that's fine, the million in the bank from Clarky and Coach leaving will put us firmly in the black and allow for a transfer budget in January if required.

How much of the million pounds plus will Gannon be given for signings ? There's also the wages that have been saved by selling many of the top earners, which will help the finances. Gannon has a big job on next season, though no doubt his shopping list will already have been drafted. Let's hope he can get his targets.

:O Can't see the 8 or 9 on free transfers doing the gig for free...

How much of the million pounds plus will Gannon be given for signings ? There's also the wages that have been saved by selling many of the top earners, which will help the finances. Gannon has a big job on next season, though no doubt his shopping list will already have been drafted. Let's hope he can get his targets.

Most of the cash will need to be used to cover the shortfall,for the time being at least, caused by setanta's demise. In 2008 accounts Media rights accounted for a third of our income. I envisage a further 5/6 signings maximum until a TV deal is sorted. Hope I'm mistaken mind.

Yeah, ok, fair point there but I would still like to see us with a big enough squad that we dont have to resort to playing folk out of position, like Lasley at right back or whatever

Fitzy didn't play because he has had a problem with a groin injury..... my worry about playing the youngsters is the reaction if they don't do well and get bullied of the ball, playing in the spl is much more physical than the english leagues, you don't get the same time on the ball in the spl. I thinknGannon will be surprised at the physicality of the spl, he will find out that its not possible for players to stay in position as easily as it is in the english leagues.

imo mind!!

I tend to agree with those that are saying that six doesn't seem enough new faces to cover the gaps in the squad. By the description given of Jennings, it sounds like he could take the place of Klimpl in the squad. That leaves Clarkson, Quinn, Hughes, McLean, Sheridan, Malcolm and Krysiak to replace. Even if you accept that Malcolm wasn't really part of the squad for much of last season, that's still six players to be replaced even after the signing of Jennings. And now Gannon perhaps wants to replace existing members of the squad. Perhaps that'll be a job for January.

I take the point that Hutchison, Saunders, Forbes and Slane may make the step up to the first team squad. But thanks to the lack of opportunities offered to them last season, none of us can be sure that any of them are ready to make the step up and be considered part of the first team squad. So if we're only signing 6 players, we're leaving ourselves aith an even thinner squad than last season. Let's hope the young guys can make the step up...

I like Fitzpatrick, I think he tries his absolute hardest and does a very unnoticed job, and I will never forget watching BBC live minute updater on a freezing night in February several years ago, but I'm afraid to say that Forbes on Thursday night did an immense job in the middle of the park, and I think he's an all round better player than Fizzy. Now I know he's only played one game, but he's certainly made a very good first impression on me, and I think Fitzpatrick will struggle to get a game this year. Certainly hope Fizzy sticks in there though, because on his day he does a great job for us!

I think young Forbes and Slane wwere the shining lights last Thursday and i think they will make their mark on our team, it just worries me that they won't find it as easy when they are playing against an spl team,they certainly won't get as much time on the ball and may not appear to be such shining lights and as we all know our fans can be harsh.

I just hope that they are given time to get used to playing first team football and any errors along the way are forgiven both by the manager and the fans.

I like Fitzpatrick, I think he tries his absolute hardest and does a very unnoticed job, and I will never forget watching BBC live minute updater on a freezing night in February several years ago, but I'm afraid to say that Forbes on Thursday night did an immense job in the middle of the park, and I think he's an all round better player than Fizzy. Now I know he's only played one game, but he's certainly made a very good first impression on me, and I think Fitzpatrick will struggle to get a game this year. Certainly hope Fizzy sticks in there though, because on his day he does a great job for us!

Remember what an impression Fizzy made on said night though. Plenty of people got carried away with him, expecting all sorts and now they hurl abuse at him for the slightest thing. I personally rate him as well, I think he's a grafter and very good at breaking up opposition moves, something which as you say, often goes unnoticed.

It's way too early to guess who is going to struggle to get a game this year, some who did well on Thursday may struggle for form whereas those who were poor may turn it around. Can anybody here really say they have an idea what the starting line up might be when we play, say Accies on 7th Novemeber? I certainly don't!

I rate him and I hope he stays with us.

Motherwell fans it seems to me always like to give stick to their own players and hound them out. Kevin Mcbride was imo unfairly treated while he was here, Fagan was given a hard time, Alex Burns, Kevin Townsley and John Davies are other ones I can remember. There are probably others before them that I don't know of.

Anyone that pulls on a well jersey gets my full support. Thats not me being a 'happy clappy' well fan but i've never shouted abuse at any of our own players. I don't know why its such a problem at Fir Park.

Can anyone confirm that the signing deadline for the next round of the UEFA cup is Friday night? If so, should we at least be looking into getting a few bodies in this week for the next round? That's not me counting chickens but surely Gannon has to have enough belief to prepare as if we were going to qualify for the next round...?

Was looking through a list of free transfers available in England to see if anyone caught the imagination, it has to be said that there are some big names available (beyond our resources), but also noticed some old friends like Krysiak.

Anyway, if anyone is interested and can't be bothered working this morning, here is the link:

PFA List of Free Transfers

I still don't get the anti Fitzy thing as I have always felt that he has not been the worst in the team (in fact I think the team normally plays better when he is in the team).

Was looking through a list of free transfers available in England to see if anyone caught the imagination, it has to be said that there are some big names available (beyond our resources), but also noticed some old friends like Krysiak.

Anyway, if anyone is interested and can't be bothered working this morning, here is the link:

PFA List of Free Transfers

As you said... his loanee mate from Birmingham, Semih Aydilek too

Can anyone confirm that the signing deadline for the next round of the UEFA cup is Friday night? If so, should we at least be looking into getting a few bodies in this week for the next round? That's not me counting chickens but surely Gannon has to have enough belief to prepare as if we were going to qualify for the next round...?

Regardless of when the deadline is I think we can safely assume that Gannon will be working hard to bring players in.

I wouldn't want to rush a signing simply because of the Europe thing - better to be professional and get the players in that he really wants and be ready for the league. Don't get me wrong, I am all for an extended run in Europe, but think the league has to be the priority.

I wouldn't want to rush a signing simply because of the Europe thing - better to be professional and get the players in that he really wants and be ready for the league. Don't get me wrong, I am all for an extended run in Europe, but think the league has to be the priority.

You misunderstand me. For some reason, I think we'll get through on Thursday. The next two games against the Albanian side become our next pre-season games. Seems pointless going into them with half a team that won't be playing come August 15th. If these games are serving as our pre-season, then surely it would be better to have at least some of the players that Gannon envisages as being our first team available for them. That's why I figure he has to work on the theory we'll get through and get some of the players in this week. A run in Europe? Not that bothered, beyond the fact that if we go out on Thursday, we might find it hard to arrange worthwhile friendlies as most clubs will have theirs pencilled in...