In's And Out's

AndyRoss

we definitely need to exercise a bit of caution on this. if paterson has barely played for the year or so there's a fair chance he'll be a little bit mumford. get him on the scales before we sign him.

if he is in decent shape i say bring him back. i'd stick with hammell at fullback and play jim in midfield. if we're actually going to play this daft 4-2-3-1 formation he could be handy in the left of the 3, his best performances before he dropped back into defence were playing on the left hand side in an attacking 4-5-1.

but definitely get him weighed first. he ripped the piss out of us by being out of shape for three years then suddenly managed to get fit when mcghee started cracking the whip.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, but McGhee played him at Left Back during his first season where he looked a totally differerent player for the better.

I'd take him over Hammell for the LB berth.

he also played at left back under malpas. his first game there was skippy sunday i think.

if we sign him it should be to play with hammell, we don't have enough money to have two expensive left backs at the club.

Would love to see Stepover back at the club and I think he and Hammell down the left could be a great combination. Plus with Paterson's ability to get to the byeline we could finally start playing the correct sort of ball to make the best use of Sutton's in-the-box ability.

I think Stepover was a great player am worried though that he has done nothing for the past season. If this is to be a loan is it not just stunting the growth of our own youngsters. If it is a purchase then as the other poster said would be two expensive left backs though I accept both could play left midfield. Jennings looks like a defensive midfield guy with potential captain material, though it is only a one year deal. Forbes and Sloan look like they have the potential to go further from the reports I have read. O'brien is already here on what I would expect to be decent wages. While Step is the man I worry that we would be getting a player back stunting the youth. Putting out a well paid player and in the long run getting a player back who is another year older and another year slower.

If we are to play one up with three behind then we need folk with pace to support the striker. Is this stepovers forte? would hamell a defender/mid be able to support the striker in an attacking role?

Don't get me wrong think Stepover is a cracking player just think this is the wrong time to bring him back. Happy to be wrong.

Paterson, though I liked him, doesn't strike me as the most mobile of players. Which is a quality that Gannon has stated he's looking for in players. So it seems unlikely. He's from Bellshill so it's possible that a move to Motherwell would suit him more than a move to Aberdeen, but Sturrock's comments that he's waiting on hearing from us strike me as trying to help JP move back to the central belt by highlighting his availablity to all clubs in the area. Kind of like Stephen Hughes telling everyone how settled his kid and wife are in the area...

I've heard strong (ish) rumours that Hughes is to sign for my English team, Doncaster Rovers, by the end of next week. Could be wrong though.

So what you're saying is that his kid isn't settled enough at school that he'll turn down an extra grand a week? There were those that were saying that they could see Hughes staying at Fir Park. Naive at best, and I wouldn't be stunned if the rumour you heard turned out to be true.

And I know I'm banging on about this one, but it's less than 48 hours til the deadline for signings for the next round. At this rate, we'd be better going out tonight. If we go through, unless we sign 5 or 6 players tomorrow, the players we select against the Albanians will be nothing like our first team for the first game of the season. Not ideal preparation if these games are to be our warm up for the SPL...

I see your point Melvin but I think Gannon is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't on this one. He has clearly decided that the past seven days have been needed to get the players at his disposal into the shape he wants to play - read his comment on the official site :

"There’s an old cliché about teams running out of ideas and I think we gave our team some ideas last week but they began to revert back to old habits. So we’ve had to reemphasise things in training. Football is a simple game, tactically it can become complicated. But the most important thing is to have players who have the technique to be able to pass the ball, cross the ball and hit the target – and we do.”

For me the underlined passage is highly significant and it will be interesting to see how the players respond tonight with a full week of coaching from Gannon/Ward. Remember how surprised we all were when players like McGarry, Paterson, Clarkson etc were reborn under McGhee and were almost unrecognisable from the Malpas era.

Yes our squad is threadbare but anyone he signed this past week would be ineligible and would have taken up time away from making sure we are equipped to get through the tie tonight. Not ideal, but none of this process is sadly.

Stuart.

So what you're saying is that his kid isn't settled enough at school that he'll turn down an extra grand a week? There were those that were saying that they could see Hughes staying at Fir Park. Naive at best, and I wouldn't be stunned if the rumour you heard turned out to be true.

I would tend to agree with you, but Donny are in the Championship now, so the gulf in wage between what we could offer and what they'd pay would be much more than a grand a week. He could easily double his pay packet down there, as well as putting himself in the shop window for the Premiership, etc. They also play a similar brand of football to what we did in McGhees first season, although a different formation, it's very much pass and move silky stuff which would, in theory, suit Hughes.

I don't expect it to happen, but it's not inconceivable.

we've apparently withdrew our contract offer to Paddy Boyle.

Think this is the right thing to do, Gannon hasnt seen him play so is right not to sign him. McGhee trusted Malpas judgement with Mensing and then he never kciked a ball for us.

Signed for Partick today (as did Jim Hamilton - another one off the shopping list :) )

And I know I'm banging on about this one, but it's less than 48 hours til the deadline for signings for the next round. At this rate, we'd be better going out tonight. If we go through, unless we sign 5 or 6 players tomorrow, the players we select against the Albanians will be nothing like our first team for the first game of the season.

Are we allowed more than one change then from the previous round?

It's been reported in a few rags today that Hughes has knocked back a £7,000 a week deal from Norwich. According to his agent a few Championship teams are set to make him an offer.

I heard that apparently Hughes wages at Fir Park were higher than that? :)

From what I heard the club wage structure payed him around £3000 per week with a £5000 personal funding from Boyle? :)

Maybe rubbish,

But to my knowledge he and Porter were on the same deal?

And I know I'm banging on about this one, but it's less than 48 hours til the deadline for signings for the next round. At this rate, we'd be better going out tonight. If we go through, unless we sign 5 or 6 players tomorrow, the players we select against the Albanians will be nothing like our first team for the first game of the season. Not ideal preparation if these games are to be our warm up for the SPL...
So it would be better to lose to Llanelli than pick up 90 thousand Euros for winning and have a couple more competitive games in our pre-season?

I think you're trying too hard to find things to complain about.

So you've decided Fraser is deadwood after seeing him in action for one game, where lets be honest the only thing he did was pick the ball out of the net because he was left exposed by his defence B-)

I would bet on our one competative game, the only one that should actually be worried is Lasley out of that lot - and even then, as football is a squad game and not about 11 players I would be shocked if Gannon thinks any of those are, what you call "deadwood".

My comment upon Fraser was based solely on comments attributed to Gannon two weeks ago when he stated he would be seeking to sign (amongst others) a goalkeeper. So I am surmising that he wants to have his own man between the sticks.

Anyway on Fraser's handling or rather failure to handle, of a routine cross against Llannelli - which by his own admission he f*cked-up) he looks no better at the aeriel stuff than Smith.

As for the others I mentioned, I stand by my remarks. Oh and prepare to be shocked.

I think tonight and last week showed that Fraser is no commander of his penalty box. Certainly, on the two games he's played thus far, not No.1 material on that form.

Yeah definitely, I just looked it up. Gannon seemed to be suggesting he had till next Wednesday to make signings. Is there maybe another wild-card place of some description which can be entered closer to the date?

EDIT: Mnnngg confirmed in next paragraph

For the three qualifying rounds and the play-offs, after the above-mentioned
qualifying dates, one player on List A may be changed until 24.00 CET on
the day before the relevant first-leg match, provided that the club’s national
association confirms in writing that the new player is eligible to play at
domestic level at this time.