In's And Out's

AndyRoss

McGhee took a lot of stick on here for leaving us in the situation we are currently in with the depleted squad.

So Gannon's plan is to bring in 4 loan deals and 2 of the 3 players we've brought in have signed ONE year deals?

Hmmm.

First of all it is just insurance mate - on Gannon's part too. Remember he has a clause in his contract giving him a % of any sell on fee from a player he brings in. If they get off to a great start I'm sure he will sign them up.

Secondly, You have already suggested these players may not be good enough! So if they are rank - you want them to be signed up for the next 3 seasons once gannon gets his jotters??

So what are these players? Unearthed gems you want tied to the club on long contracts or shite from league 2 you don't want at the club at all?

Think you better pick a side and stick to it, the devil's advocatte thing just aint working for me.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McGhee took a lot of stick on here for leaving us in the situation we are currently in with the depleted squad.

So Gannon's plan is to bring in 4 loan deals and 2 of the 3 players we've brought in have signed ONE year deals?

Hmmm.

Beezer you seem to be unhappy at ths situation, yet I'd have put you down as one normally arguing to give players a chance, surely this is just the start of JG's reign and it's time to sit back and let him build.

you may think McGhee got stick but I'd say it was very limited in the early days, only a handful of punters raised concerns in the early days then it escalated as more and more could see he was not building for the future as he had no intention of being here.

JG deserves his chance and time, there might be a few short term deals getting handed out but everything I've seen and read indicates he wants to build something and for every one of the short deals its also been mentioned that there are options to extend the deals.

all the players so far are young and have indicated their desire to work and develop, specifically with Gannon.

Reckon its time to let him do his thing and forget the comparisions with McGhee

I really don't see what the problem is with signing players from leagues which are supposedly below ours. Some excellent SPL players came from the Scottish lower divisions, and Craig Levein seems to do a good job of unearthing these guys without getting stick for it. Last year Falkirk went for some of the better known names from Scotland, like McCan, McNamara, Pressley, and Lovell and we saw how that went.

We got Porter and Foran from the English lower leagues, and if you go back a wee while we also got Rab McKinnon from some English club, and I'm sure there are many more. We also have Championship clubs cherry picking some of the best players from the SPL, so I cant see us competing with them for signings.

We could sign guys who aren't getting games for their top division clubs, but then they would just be rejects! I mean, we've brought in guys from Man Utd, Newcastle, Aston Villa, Spurs, Birmingham, Man City and Everton (and probably more) in my time, and I don't think we did too well out of that.

I'll reserve judgement until I've actually seen these guys play. I couldn't give a toss where they come from, as long as they're good.

Hmmm.

Like yourself, I have a slight concern over the one year deals. If the players have a succesful season and attract interest from elsewhere, we could lose them again after only one year. But that means we'll have had a good season so can we really grumble?

My real concern would lie with the fact that was stated that Gannon was on a percentage of transfer fees received for players he signs. Did I miss a meeting? Is there a secret forum somewhere I don't know about? I haven't read about this percentage before and it does alarm me, that to an extent one could argue that it would be in JG's best interests (financially at least) to be selling players off...

Way I see it is, these guys would probably not consider signing for us but because they respect JG he managed to get them to sign, he would rather have them for a year than not at all. These guys are using us as a stepping stone (which is cool) and will most likely be off to bigger and better things. But other young english boys will see whats happened to these one year ones and know the football JG plays and now see us as a good option. Take a hit with these ones and get the rest of them signed up on longer contracts.

Mon ra dossers

Herald's reporting that Hughes has signed for Norwich.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines...new_signing.php

If he has signed so much for 'I don't want to uproot ma family'. It looks like money talks again, which I haven't a problem with but don't be a lying wee prick about it.

Purely judging by the squad numbers allocated these guys will be expected to be in the starting 11.

I see from official page that Saunders and Slane are still in the under 19s. Is this maybe just a website update/age thing or more of an indication that they will be squad only and not regular starters - especially if 4+4 still to come.

I am pretty certain what Gannon means is we will get 4 permanent signings...........of which we currently have three and 4 loan signings.....of which we have none, so only 5 new signings to come not 8!

If he has signed so much for 'I don't want to uproot ma family'. It looks like money talks again, which I haven't a problem with but don't be a lying wee prick about it.

Think you are being a little harsh with you're comments nethertonwellfan, it could just be that no one up here (m'well included) were willing to pay the money he was looking for and so he had no option but to move south.

Also since I'd rather see him down south than playing against us i wish him all the best.

Way I see it is, these guys would probably not consider signing for us but because they respect JG he managed to get them to sign, he would rather have them for a year than not at all. These guys are using us as a stepping stone (which is cool) and will most likely be off to bigger and better things. But other young english boys will see whats happened to these one year ones and know the football JG plays and now see us as a good option. Take a hit with these ones and get the rest of them signed up on longer contracts.

Mon ra dossers

It was discussed earlier in this thread or somewhere else and I also think it was on one of Jennings interviews that - he moved north because of Gannon's interest in him as moving from Merseyside wasn't something that he was particularly keen on - but something he would consider after Jimbo's interest.

A one year deal was struck so we can size him up and he can size up the SPL - that's how it was reported anyway.

So if the 'give us a try' approach has been successful in attracting one player - then why not use it again to attract more players. The one year deals so far have options as far as I'm aware..

If there's no fee involved - and they move on for nowt at the end of the year then we've not really lost anything have we? If he brings in a few some will go some will stay - and he appears to have loads of leads - so those guys who go will be replaced. If we were shelling out a big transfer fee for a one year deal I'd be concerned.

I'm OK with this approach.

I haven't heard anything about this percentage sell-on clause. Interesting. Not quite sure what to make of that.

As Jay says though, if he was looking to make money off of players then he wouldn't be running the risk of losing them for nowt with 1 year contracts.

While I'm not 100% comfortable with 1 year contracts, I'd like to think Gannon will look to extend such contracts come October/November if the player has settled in well.

Think you are being a little harsh with you're comments nethertonwellfan, it could just be that no one up here (m'well included) were willing to pay the money he was looking for and so he had no option but to move south.

Also since I'd rather see him down south than playing against us i wish him all the best.

I agree with that but there is no need to come out and say it is one thing when he knows it's going to boil down to money at then end of the day. Because I don't think anyone in the SPL outside the old firm can afford to pay the 7k a week that Norwich a reported as paying him.

I also agree with the sentiment that we don't want him playing against us

I am pretty certain what Gannon means is we will get 4 permanent signings...........of which we currently have three and 4 loan signings.....of which we have none, so only 5 new signings to come not 8!

That's kind of how I read it too. Perhaps if Flow did the interview he could clarify...

Will be intersting to see if we officially respond to Shrewsbury and Northhampton via the website or through the media in any way. Quite strongly worded statements from both of them on the players and us as a club.

I've got a funny feeling that both these clubs might be stuffed and that MFC will just wait for Association clearance on both.

Interested to see Northamptons comments on 'verbal contracts' which are all well and good - but I'm of the understanding that a player's registaration with an association is logged with a copy of a signed contract.

Stripped to the waist. marquess of Queensbury rules and all that

The thot plickens.

Will be intersting to see if we officially respond to Shrewsbury and Northhampton via the website or through the media in any way. Quite strongly worded statements from both of them on the players and us as a club.

I've got a funny feeling that both these clubs might be stuffed and that MFC will just wait for Association clearance on both.

Interested to see Northamptons comments on 'verbal contracts' which are all well and good - but I'm of the understanding that a player's registaration with an association is logged with a copy of a signed contract.

Stripped to the waist. marquess of Queensbury rules and all that

The thot plickens.

I don't see any issue with the Humphrey transfer.

While there is a legal issue pending with the Coke signing, it would probably be wise not to play him in any games until it is all settled. Last thing we want is to get kicked out the Europa for fielding an unauthorised player...I'm pretty sure the Scottish Cup has come up with situations like this from time to time.

I agree with that but there is no need to come out and say it is one thing when he knows it's going to boil down to money at then end of the day. Because I don't think anyone in the SPL outside the old firm can afford to pay the 7k a week that Norwich a reported as paying him.

I also agree with the sentiment that we don't want him playing against us

Following speculation linking Hughes with Aberdeena few weeks ago, McGhee was quoted as saying that Hughes was too expensive as he had been offered 7k a week (widely thought to be from Norwich) and turned that down. It seems he has been punted around and can't find, unsurprisingly, a better offer. I don't think anyone can blame him for taking that kind of money. A few seasons of that on top of what he's already earned and he should be made for life.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11796_5448539,00.html

Motherwell are weighing up a move for Manchester United youngster Ritchie De Laet, skysports.com understands.

The SPL side are looking to bolster their squad ahead of the new season and they are thought to be exploring the option of signing De Laet on loan.

Motherwell officials are believed to have watched the Belgian in recent weeks for United's reserves in pre-season action and have been impressed by De Laet.

De Laet joined United from Stoke last January and made his Premier League debut on the final day of last season against Hull.

Te 20-year-old is well down the pecking order at Old Trafford and United boss Sir Alex Ferguson could consider loaning him out so that he can get regular first-team action under his belt.