In's And Out's

AndyRoss

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not 100% sure without making my head hurt too much, but i think it is still conceivably possible for us to be caught on goal difference, with all 6 clubs on 41 points!

It did make my head hurt and I couldn't work out how it could work, but I think I've got it now and you're right it can be done (maybe!!)

It did make my head hurt and I couldn't work out how it could work, but I think I've got it now and you're right it can be done (maybe!!)

I don't think it can - for Falkirk to win all their games and us to lose all ours plus all the teams in the middle have to lose and gain points etc. it just ain't possible.

Not 100% sure without making my head hurt too much, but i think it is still conceivably possible for us to be caught on goal difference, with all 6 clubs on 41 points!
its impossible for us to be relegated now

Just to try and quantify that a bit, currently the table is like this...

Well 41

killie 34

st mirren 34

hamilton 34

ICT 32

Falkirk 28.

lets just say for example that we lost our remaining 5 games and finished on 41 points.

Falkirk, the team at the bottom were to win their last 5 games. That would give them 42 points.

then lets say ICT won all their games, (other than being beaten by falkirk) that would give them another 12 points, taking them to 44.

then lets say hamilton won their games (other than their losses to ict and falkirk), that would give them another 9 points, taking them to 41.

st mirren next, all thats left, after taking into account the other teams winning is a possible 6 points, taking them to 40 points

Kilie then would only be left with 3 possible points from us, taking them to 37.

That would mean our lowest possible finish would be 10th.

I think this would leave everyone with 41 points

Killie - Draw with SM, Beat Hamilton and 'Well

St Mirren - Draw with Killie, Beat Inverness and 'Well

Hamilton - Draw with Falkirk, Beat SM and 'Well

Inverness - Beat 'Well, SM and Killie

Falkirk - Draw Hamilton, beat the rest

You can switch the Killie, St Mirren and Hamilton results around to achieve the same.

You can switch the Killie, St Mirren and Hamilton results around to achieve the same.

You know part of me kind of hopes this is how it pans out at least until the final set of games. Imagine going into the last set of games with everyone having something to play for...

Come on Melvin, calm yersel. I know you are seeking to find the elusive spark to re-ignite your enthusiasm of all things claret and amber and fitba.

But this surely aint it mate!!

Smell the fear stuff or whit!

Without thinking too much, I don't think this set of results can happen as you've got St Mirren beating Inverness and Inverness beating St Mirren. Also, you've got Hamilton losing to Inverness but not Inverness beating Hamilton.

At the end of the day, we ain't going down. Might finish 11th but not 12th.

Holy sheeyit....my head's hurtin' too much tryin to work out just how many games there are there to all come up with that result...

Maybe worth a cheeky £1 on....

Without thinking too much, I don't think this set of results can happen as you've got St Mirren beating Inverness and Inverness beating St Mirren. Also, you've got Hamilton losing to Inverness but not Inverness beating Hamilton.

At the end of the day, we ain't going down. Might finish 11th but not 12th.

If you change it to Inverness beating Hamilton it working, obviously done it too fast.

I imagine KMAC and The Grew are both over 40 years old, and your average old punter at the fitba who knows nothing about the modern game. I cant even be bothered trying to argue with what you said on page three, because its honestly the biggest pile of shite ive ever read on here.

While we don't really know if Hughes is leaving or not I think we should still play him . There is still something to play for ( points and league position ) and let's be honest no matter what game it is, nobody likes getting gubbed by the the other teams below us. Having said that we do need the manager to try some other players out ( i realise we don't have many options )

I would like to see him use all his subs ( and not leave it to the last few minutes as he has often done in the past)

Thoughts on the original topic are probably same as most people.

Key areas for Focus are new GK, LB, LM, ST.

4 going from squad and 4 replaced with room for 1-2 loans if direct signings are of suitable standard.All of these are likely to be Bosmans and/or come from 1st Division.

The LB/LM slot is simply down to the fact that if we get Steven Hammell/Marc Fitzpatrick injured then we are scuppered as we have a dearth of left-footed players who can also provide crosses/dig in midfield.

Biggest loss for me will be Stephen Hughes as he is good player with terrific first-touch and decent vision. However, on the plus side, we might get someone in who does like to shoot from distance and doesn't only score spectacular goals :rolleyes:

Smith - Replace (as will be leaving in Summer and we need genuine competition for Goalkeeping spot)

Mclean - Keep

Craigan - Keep.

Reynolds - Keep.

Hammell - Keep.

Quinn - Keep

Hughes - Replace (as will be leaving in Summer and we need genuine competition for Creative midfielder spot)

Klimpl - Keep

O'Brien - Keep

Lasley - Keep

Fitzpatrick - Keep

Darren Smith - Keep.

Mcgarry - Replace (Good servant to club but injuries and loss of form have started to curtail his involvement/impact in games)

Malcolm - Replace with Klimpl (as will be leaving in the summer)

Clarkson- Keep

Sutton - Keep

Murphy - Keep

Loans - Sheridan - Replace as need competition for places within Strikers and U-19s are still looking like they could be physically intimidated at first-team level)

Mcghee & Leitch- Keep (Bit bemused by back-handed compliments he gets but still one of the most successful Well Managers in recent years - Harri Kampmann anyone?)

Oh my God, what did I start? That's pretty much the combination I had come up with although the 3 teams are interchangeable. We all know it's not going to happen but there's a fair chance of it still being possible after the next round of games.

I imagine KMAC and The Grew are both over 40 years old, and your average old punter at the fitba who knows nothing about the modern game. I cant even be bothered trying to argue with what you said on page three, because its honestly the biggest pile of shite ive ever read on here.

I don't even know where to begin with this crap:

For a start I'm 18 and still playing football....so you're idea of not being up to date with the modern day game it completely bollocks.

And for someone who thinks there of a higher opinion mate....here's a couple of facts:

The modern day game is ruthless when it comes to getting rid of what it sees as players who are not good enough...that is why myself like many others players I play with have had chances to play with other clubs at youth level but have not made it through...we had the ability and the trials...but not the x factor a lot of clubs expect at that level.

That x factor is what I am talking about here with half of these players who DONT have it.

I'm not into this Motherwell til I die f**k common sense pish, i'm looking at the thing objectively from my point of view...and experiance of playing football.

So go on...if you think you know more about the "modern game" as you put it...enlighten me with your words of wisdom.

I don't even know where to begin with this crap:

For a start I'm 18 and still playing football....so you're idea of not being up to date with the modern day game it completely bollocks.

And for someone who thinks there of a higher opinion mate....here's a couple of facts:

The modern day game is ruthless when it comes to getting rid of what it sees as players who are not good enough...that is why myself like many others players I play with have had chances to play with other clubs at youth level but have not made it through...we had the ability and the trials...but not the x factor a lot of clubs expect at that level.

That x factor is what I am talking about here with half of these players who DONT have it.

I'm not into this Motherwell til I die f**k common sense pish, i'm looking at the thing objectively from my point of view...and experiance of playing football.

So go on...if you think you know more about the "modern game" as you put it...enlighten me with your words of wisdom.

One big thing you missed is that it would cost many thousands of pounds in compensation for your 'get rids' that would detract from any 'bring ins' that would need to happen as a result.

I disregarded your keeps and get rids - but read them in a kind of good guy, good guy, wank type scenario.

I think most peoples objections to your pontification and the general belief that you don't know as much as you proffess to is that you had way too many good guys down as wanks and way too many wanks down as good guys.

In fact (if you pardon the pun) you had too many wanks overall. To get rid of all of them would be suicide. And quite frankly ain't gonna happen.

McGhee will try to add to the squad to compensate for our shortcomings this year and to replace the guys that leave. He'll have very little say over that. I don't see many of the contracted players attracting offers as their isn't a lot of money flying around.

I don't really like slating any players that are currently wearing the C&A - yet you had one of our young guys down as a keep that unfortunately (and stevie wonder told me he agreed with me as he passed on his bike) wont make it as a regular SPL player this century. He's a great lad though.

I'm convinced Hughes, Smith and Malcolm will be off in the summer, still hopeful we can hold onto Klimpl. We'll also lose Sheridan and the other loanees at the end of the season, though none of them are a loss. We simply don't have the numbers to purposely get rid of anyone else though.

I'd like to see us taking a few gambles on some First Division players. There's some decent quality there that could do a job at Fir Park and pad the squad out a bit. Even the Second and Third Divisions boast a handful of players that could have the potential to play in the SPL if given the chance - just look at Gomes at Dundee Utd. McGhee's always pretty strict when it comes to new players and doesn't seem to entertain the idea of signing someone unless they meet his specifications exactly - but I don't see how he can possibly continue that policy this summer, we'll be left with a tiny squad of players if he does.

I'd also like to see us scrapping this idea of bringing players in on loan, unless they are actually going to contribute something to the team and aren't just on a few months holiday in Motherwell.

I'd like to see us add another goalkeeper to battle with Fraser for the number one jersey, unless Coutts is genuinely ready for the step up (I don't even know what age he is). I'd also like to see us bringing in a left back, a right back, a left sided midfielder and a striker. If, and only if, we manage to sort all that out - I'd then look to bring in another centre half and a creative midfielder, but in reality we're not going to bring in that amount of players during the summer.

Looking forward to seeing what McGhee can conjure up over the next few months.

Slightly away from the current topic, I heard a very interesting rumour yesterday that Quinn will be off in the summer. Anyone else heard anything regarding this?

While my source is usually quite reliable, I was stunned when he mentioned that the clubs looking at hime were Birmingham, Celtic and Everton.....??!!! Surely not?!

Slightly away from the current topic, I heard a very interesting rumour yesterday that Quinn will be off in the summer. Anyone else heard anything regarding this?

While my source is usually quite reliable, I was stunned when he mentioned that the clubs looking at hime were Birmingham, Celtic and Everton.....??!!! Surely not?!

I don't known whether there's any substance to the story or not but Birmingham and Celtic doesn't really surprise me. On the form of last season, Quinn is a better player than Hinkel, Caddis or Wilson. And have you see Birmingham's defence?? The old McGhee/Strachan/McLeish connection maybe strike again?

As I say, haven't heard this rumour myself but I'd be sad to see Quinn go. I think he's a better player than many on here give him credit for, and if nothing else he's one of a few guys at the club who always gives 100%...

lol

nae chance.

My intial reaction at first too mate, but I'm not so sure when I think on it. He is a decent player and is young enough to be moulded into a top class player. While I don't see him as an immediate starter for any of these teams, he will surely provide competiton/backup. And he is versatile. He's no better or worse a player than what Naismith and Weir were when they left Scotland for Everton, so maybe....

Aparantly, according to the same source, Celtic were poised to sign him in Jan '08, but after the Uncle Phil tragedy he scuppered the deal and stayed with the club. Last season he was a great assest to the club, and on that form I don't see why he can't have a crack at the Premiership.

The problem is his off the field problems, but he defiantly has "potential" to be a top player (I know I hate that phrase as well!) As he is still under contract, we would command a fee for him and I'd imagine it to be pretty decent (500k +) and that is money I would certainly take to reinvest in the squad. Sure he'd be a loss, but rather sell him now than lose him for nothing when his contracts up!

Just remember, you heard it here first.... :D