In's And Out's

AndyRoss

How many Motherwell games have Clarkson, Craigan, Lasley, Quinn and Hammell played combined? I don't have the figures to hand but I imagine it would be staggering given only one of them over 30...

Sad but I went and looked

Clarky 254

Craigan 265

Lasley 197

Quinn 183

Hammell 301! (296 starts)

1200 appearances amongst 5 first team players, quite staggering

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me on the last day of the season.

since mcghee came to the club he hasn't played any player from our youth system who had already made their debut more than three times. if you ask yourself who that featured today who will probaly still be here at the start of season 11-12 you'd probably end up with craigan and hammell and maybe mclean and o'brien. things don't look very good in the long term.

turned out the long term was about 3 weeks. this summer was huge for us in terms of bringing in quality replacements for the guys who are leaving and it's hardly likely that we're going to get the best players available if we're last out the blocks.

if you look at our squad today and compare it the day mcghee came in you'd have to say it's weaker. it's pretty much the same only without buzz, rossco and probably mclean and not one youngster broken through to the first team squad.

btw does anyone know when the contracts of clarky, quinn and reynolds run out?

We'll have almost exactly the same team that we had last year. 6, 7 or 8 signings simply will not happen. We've got Fraser on a pre-contract so I'm not including him in that. I'd imagine we'll have Saunders, McHugh, Hutchinson and maybe Slane stepping up as well.

The new manager is going to have to work an absolute freaking miracle in order to keep us up unless he can pull and minimum of decent 4 - 6 signings out the hat. McGhee has left Motherwells first team squad woefully short of threadbare and deserves a huge ammount of criticism for this. Sadly, this is the only place you'll read of these.

Every other day in the papers you are reading about players going from here to there in Scotland. None of the them world beaters, but players that could certainly do a job for Motherwell. We're not even in the mix!

Can we yet hope of a Murphy, Keegan, Molloy hat trick to quash our fears!? ;)

You say we're fucked, but aren't Falkrik going to lose nigh on 14 players that are out of contract, and are also looking for a new manager and they also finished 10th this year.

We're far from the only ones struggling.

It looks to be the same scenario as the past few years. Clubs wait until later in the summer to avoid paying wages in June. With the uncertainty over who will be in charge and the fact that Setanta may or may not pay up the full sum,which has presumably been budgeted for, then it is easy to see why we haven't signed 5/6 players. As ohers have said the other SPL clubs aren't exactly awash with fresh,exciting signings either. The worry for us is that we have a game in under 4 weeks.

btw does anyone know when the contracts of clarky, quinn and reynolds run out?

Next summer but their Aberdeen pre contract agreement begins in January <_<:O

I cant BELIEVE we haven't gave Clarky a new contract - we will leave it too late again. Hope he likes butteries.

Next summer but their Aberdeen pre contract agreement begins in January <_<:O

I cant BELIEVE we haven't gave Clarky a new contract - we will leave it too late again. Hope he likes butteries.

the three of them will be heading south. aberdeen couldn't keep chris clark, there's no chance they'll get any of them. when they leave we'll be in deep shit however.

the three of them will be heading south. aberdeen couldn't keep chris clark, there's no chance they'll get any of them. when they leave we'll be in deep shit however.

Hard to argue with that assessment, though I'm told that at least one of them will be sold this summer to raise some funds. And it'll be up to the new manager which of the three it is. My own preference? Reynolds...

I'm lead to believe there are at least two English clubs showing more than a passing interest in Coach. If what you say is correct (that one of the three must go) then I'd agree that we'd suffer less with the loss of Reynolds.

If Setenta pay up and McGhee and Leitch's transfer goes through, the monies collected can then be added to the money available through some of our highest earners moving on.

Boyle should have as much money as most teams in the league.

I'm ruling out the hit MFC are taking with the pitch inprovements as Porters transfer surely covers the majority of that. Merchandise sales look promising (like the strip and will buy three for me and the boys). Oh and Europe is here again.

The McGhee bollocks aside, Motherwell FC are in a good position.

The choice of manager is vital though so I'm prepared to wait even if that means another fortnight. For what my opinion is worth, I think we will see 4/5 signings but not for a couple of weeks yet.

We need some `trappers and passers with pace` as my old coach used to say.

I'm lead to believe there are at least two English clubs showing more than a passing interest in Coach. If what you say is correct (that one of the three must go) then I'd agree that we'd suffer less with the loss of Reynolds.

I could see why Paul Quinn might attract more suitors that the other two given his attitude towards winning and his physical attributes. I wouldn't want to lose him but if forced to say which of the three we must keep, it would be Clarkson...

Again, I can't argue with that. As much as I like Coach (and I genuinely do), Clarky's signature on a new contract would be my first priority.

it's not going to happen though. when his contract is up he'll have overs worth far more than we could ever offer waiting for him. he'll know that and so will his agent. why would anyone sign a contract that would end up with them earning less than their potential?

I never said I'd succeed in getting him to sign a new contract but it'd be the first thing I'd try to do. If he sees his future elsewhere then so be it but he's definitely worth trying to keep a hold of.

fair enough i just think that soon enough we're going to have to accept that the three of them are going to leave for better things probably sooner rather than later. faddy, pearo, hammell and lasley all left to try and improve themselves and these three deserve that chance as well.

I can't argue with that. Sadly, that's the way it's always going to be at Fir Park, it's just something we all have to accept. Unfortunately. it's rarely possible to keep hold of these players as their ambitions or club circumstances usually prevent it from happening but we can try.

Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but we have one new signing.......

EK footballer signs for Motherwell

Jun 10 2009 by Paul Thomson, East Kilbride News

ROSS McKinnon looks set to follow in the footsteps of his uncle – Motherwell legend Rab McKinnon – after signing a two-year deal with the Fir Park side.

The 16-year-old from Greenhills put pen to paper last week and is set to join up with the club’s under-19 set-up at the start of next month.

A red-haired left-back with a sweet left peg, there are certainly plenty of similarities between Ross and his uncle, but after seven years at Motherwell the youngster is just delighted to have sealed a contract with the Lanarkshire outfit.

Ross told the News this week: “I’ve been trying to get a contract for years so when it came through the door a couple of weeks ago, I couldn’t believe it.

“I didn’t expect this to happen to me and I can’t wait to go into training on July 1 and meet up with the rest of the team.”

The St Andrew’s and St Bride’s High School pupil is too young to remember seeing his uncle in his prime when he was marshalling the defence for the likes of Motherwell and Hearts in the 1990s.

But Rab has had a huge influence on his life and Ross admits he has been a great player to look up to.

“Obviously, my uncle has had a big influence on me because he’s played at the highest level for club and country,” said Ross.

“He’s always been my idol and the person I’ve looked up to.

“I don’t remember seeing him play when he was at the top of his game, but I’ve watched videos of him and he looked pretty good – the moustache he had when he was playing in the eighties, though, was a bit dodgy.

“I did get to see him when he was playing Junior with Clydebank and I’ve seen him play in a few charity games but, obviously, he’s not at his best anymore.

“We play the same position and have similar styles so it would be great to follow in his footsteps.

“But I think he’s underachieved in his career. My grandpa and I always say that he was a great player and could have done a lot better than he did.

“He’s been some man to me, though, always phoning me up making sure I’m doing my training and my sit ups, so I thank him for that.”

And Ross made sure he didn’t forget about the influence his dad, Steven, has had on him as well.

He added: “My dad’s been great and I always appreciate everything he does for me. He’s been a big influence as well and he’s always supported me.

“It must be tough for him because as soon as he comes in from work he’s got to take me to training or to a game, so I’m thankful for all he does and the support my family give me, too.”

So Ross looks like he could be the next R McKinnon to make it professionally but his uncle insists he and the McKinnon family are keeping his feet firmly on the ground.

Rab McKinnon told the News: “He needs to work on his right foot because to be a top footballer these days you need to be good with both feet so he will need to improve that aspect of his game.

“My dad, Bob, (who was a coach with EKYC) has been out helping him with his training so that we can get him in shape for pre-season and we are trying to keep his feet on the ground. He’s just signed so we don’t want him to get carried away and with me having played professionally I try to give him whatever advice I can.”

And Rab admits there are similarities between him and his nephew. He added: “People will look at him, see the red hair, the name and put two and two together. I’m not saying I’ve got a superb left foot, but Ross has a great left peg and he looks like he could be a good player.

“A good left-sided player is hard to find – and it was even the same in my day – so that should work in his favour as well.”

As Ross looks to get himself in tip-top shape ahead of the new season, it seems like his family’s efforts to keep his feet on the ground are working.

“I don’t want to get ahead of myself,” he said cautiously. “I know it is going to be tough making it into the team and for the first season I probably won’t be starting games for the under-19s.

“I will work hard and maybe by my second year I can be a regular player, but my real aim is, obviously, to break into the first team.”

Given our new manager will arrive 10 minutes before kick off in our first European game (or so it would seem at the minute), if you could have a word in his ear what positions would you be telling him to strengthen.

I'm thinking as a minimum

1 defender (hopefully able to play either full back or centre back)

2 midfielders (one goalscoring one, please)

1 striker

Obviously I reckon more would be nice, but that to me looks like the bare minimum.

Thoughts? Just to get away from the saga that it the management handover...