In's And Out's

AndyRoss

This Setanta carry on could be a blessing in disguise while we still wait for a new gaffer.

Billy Reid is in the papers today saying he knows who he wants to sign but can't do anything until the Setanta stuff is sorted out as it will affect his budget.

Other one David Lilley at Killie has been told he can find another club as the one and only offer he was given has now been pulled from the table.

I also saw yesterday that Dean Holden is looking for a new club after Falkirk released him. His family are now settled in Scotland and he'd like to stay but may end up going back down South. Although 2 clubs in the SPL have expressed an interest.

Not sure if either these would be seen as signings we'd get excited over but if Quinn\Reynolds\McLean are away they may be worth considering.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other one David Lilley at Killie has been told he can find another club as the one and only offer he was given has now been pulled from the table.

He's had a few injuries as I recall, but I would definitely take him, possibly ahead of Brian McLean...

I must be the only one who actually thinks we won't bring anyone in at all. I think we will be held to ransom once again by Aberdeen when Muttley finally ends up there and comes back and puts in a £50k bid for Clarkson expecting us to bite the hands off them. I am really unsure about all this and really think we will have to see some players leave in swop deals as I don't think JB has ANY cash for new players at all and we will probably be lucky to find a manager willing to accept quite a low pay deal as JB will be cutting his cloth accordingly due to the sparse times we have been going through.

I can't see anyone getting replaced at all apart from possible swop deals. I also don't think JB will pay for playeres wages from his personal account again. I see the club bringing on the youngsters, whether they are ready or not and banking on a 8-9 place finish next year.

We banked on holding off on the pitch repairs for a season hoping the pitch would hold up and everyone knows what happened there. We are carrying out those repairs now as we know the league will not accept it again and would probably automatically relegate Motherwell at the end of the season if we didn't dig deep and replace the pitch and carry out repairs to the USH. I don't think we have learned any lessons there and would not be surprised to find the management crossing their fingers, not buy anyone this season and hope for the best. We have continually done this and I don't see it changing anytime soon... :lol:

I don't think we'll have much money to 'buy' players but I'm hopeful that we'll be at least able bring two or three 'out of contracts' in at least.

Worries

The Setanta shortfall

Cost of pitch repairs / upkeep of FP*

Cost of new management team. (with McGhees wages plastered all over the media - it gives the new guy a step for a hint where to start in negotiations)

Plusses

No wage for Klimpl

No wage for G. Smith

No wage for Bob Malcolm (FTP)

No wage for S. Hughes

No wage foe M. McGhee

No wage for S. Leitch

c. 200k Compen for McGhee and Leitch*

*These two will hopefully 'almost' cancel each other out.

now that lietch is away maybe we should try and tempt Richie Foran back as he could be adecent squad player for us.

How about Jim P back from plymouth

Did Killie tie up Kyle? Cos he would be a decent shout for us now we need a new face up front too

Not sure if Killie did get kyle but think he would be a good shout. particularly if we can keep Clarky. I know a few killie fans and they put kyle down as the reason they are still in the Spl. Kilmarnock are like us and don't have any money so could be a swap deal or something.

we'll definitely be signing players though i'm not sure i'd want kevin kyle, he was rank against us at RP and most of his goals seemed to come from defensive howlers.

i think john boyle will be desperate to finish above aberdeen this season and he'll back a new manager in the same way he backed mcghee - which he did while turning a profit. with all the freed up wages, money for porter and the compo for mcghee there has to be cash to strengthen.

now that lietch is away maybe we should try and tempt Richie Foran back as he could be adecent squad player for us.

How about Jim P back from plymouth

Did Killie tie up Kyle? Cos he would be a decent shout for us now we need a new face up front too

First of all Kyle is over rated and well over thirty too!!

Second of all why do folk on here always want the same mediocre players back!! It is time for fresh new players who might just offer us a bit of class not the same guys who got us pretty much no-where. If someone mentioned getting the boy Lappin back once it has been mentioned a million trillion times, he was Ok but that good? Same with Foran and Patterson - they will fill a jersey, aye - but nothing more.

I know many may disagree but I actually only want 3 signings really. I really feel its time for us to be playing saunders, murphy, slane etc. The way forward for our club is to bring talent through and sell on for megabucks. What we need to try and improve is the contrctual length of these type of players while they are young.

Example in this is Hamilton now and Hibs from a few years back who are/brought through the youngsters - Soon they will have more funds than us at their disposal whilst Hibs have made fortunes from it.

Then take Killie/St Mirren/Falkirk - who can they sell for a lot of money? - very few.

Our club in my opinion need youngsters who we can get behind rather than DAVID LILLEY.

First of all Kyle is over rated and well over thirty too!!

Second of all why do folk on here always want the same mediocre players back!! It is time for fresh new players who might just offer us a bit of class not the same guys who got us pretty much no-where. If someone mentioned getting the boy Lappin back once it has been mentioned a million trillion times, he was Ok but that good? Same with Foran and Patterson - they will fill a jersey, aye - but nothing more.

Kevin Kyle is 27 or 28. A bit of a laughing stock in the Berti Vogts era but scored 8 goals in 11 games for Killie last season and generally done ok, if it wasn't for injuries setting him back likes of us or Killie wouldn't get near him. Also I think Killie got him on an 18 month deal and are hoping to tie him up for longer but I not 100% sure on that.

Also the same names get mentioned because they all did decent jobs for us and seem like realistic targets, by all means if we can get better great but I'd not knock back any of the 3 you mention at this point though I'd have concerns about JP's weight and Foran's lifestyle.

Seems Leitch is meeting Hughes as we read..........

New Aberdeen boss Mark McGhee is wasting no time in working the transfer market as he bids to rebuild the Dons in time for next season.

Motherwell's out-of contract midfielder Stephen Hughes is high on the former Fir Park manager's list, but he admits he faces competition from Hearts.

"Stephen knows I would like to bring him to Aberdeen," said McGhee said. "Scott Leitch (McGhee's assistant) is meeting with Stephen in Glasgow this weekend where we will talk to him about it further.

"Apparently he has been offered a very attractive contract from Hearts so there is competition for people like Stephen Hughes.

"I hope the fact that I am here is a factor for Stephen.

"But young players like Stephen Hughes, who have a young family, are entitled to try to provide for their family and therefore try to get the best deal possible.

"Working with me again won't be at the top of his list of reasons for choosing a club but if there comes a point where we are neck and neck with someone else then hopefully because it is me that will sway it."

Respect

The 52-year-old insists he will not make a habit of raiding his old club out of respect, coupled with his tight transfer budget.

"I'm not going to go back there and start pillaging Motherwell. I have too much respect for what they are trying to do. Stephen Hughes is a different kettle of fish as he is out of contract and available.

"There are some great players at Motherwell who are going to go on and become even better. But at this moment in time they would be out of our price range."

McGhee admits that funds are limited at Pittodrie this summer but he is content with what he has to work with and also suggests he may have to wait until the January transfer window to strike some deals.

"Any football manager would always want to spend more than he is given. If Real Madrid can pay £80million for a player then there appears to be no real limit to what can be spent.

"But in terms of competing with the other SPL clubs the budget is a good budget.

"This is a club that can attract players. I know in recent years it has been difficult to do that but I think if the team can make it into the Europa League and maybe find a bit of money we can attract a couple of better players at Christmas."

Aberdeen's director of football Willie Miller has said McGhee will be supported as he bids to bolster his new team.

"I think we already have an exciting squad but we have to solidify that. Mark knows what he has to work with in terms of brining in new players," Miller said.

"We have invested heavily in youth development in the last five years and we are beginning to see the fruits of that now. Mark is excited at working with the young talent but he also has some finance available to bring in new players as well."

The Sun is reporting that Cardiff have sounded Motherwell out for a move for DC if McCormack leaves them for the Premiership.

No quotes in article but says DC is valued at £500K with one year remaining on his current contract.

Hearts want to nab Mclean

No quotes right enough so I guess its shite. If he did leave us i'd be raging at him with all the support we have given him.

The guy needs to earn a wage though.

Anyone know for sure if we've actually offered him anything. Another example of something that should have been tied up after the split.

He's a young guy who needs to make sure he's got a contract - so I guess he'll go wherever he needs to.

The Sun is reporting that Cardiff have sounded Motherwell out for a move for DC if McCormack leaves them for the Premiership.

No quotes in article but says DC is valued at £500K with one year remaining on his current contract.

8 Clarksons = 1 Fletcher??

On whit planet??? ;)