In's And Out's

AndyRoss

I don't see how anyone can possibly even be considered being sold until the new manager is in place.

I agree Milo. I suspect some or all of these lads have a year to go on their contracts and have indicated that A) they won't be extending their deals or B) Are refusing to give an answer. Therefore the club is quite rightly looking to move them on.

Just my take on things you understand.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect some or all of these lads have a year to go on their contracts and have indicated that A) they won't be extending their deals or B) Are refusing to give an answer. Therefore the club is quite rightly looking to move them on.

anyone who expects reynolds, clarkson or quinn to sign another contract at motherwell is aff their heid.

I don't see how anyone can possibly even be considered being sold until the new manager is in place. As someone said, apparently when McGhee was being appointed there wasn't wads of cash about yet Porter and Hughes were signed. We don't have their wages anymore, we also don't have Klimpl, Boab, and Buzz's wages anymore either so there at least has be enough of a provision to pay replacements wages?

Is the goalie from ICT still coming? There are varying reports that we have signed the boy from Dumbarton and Beavers, but no official confirmation. Do we even have official confirmation of a managerial short list? Time is fast running out. The new strip is great, if you're under the age of 10, but for every other Motherwell fan there is much to worry about.

For me, the manager should've been in place by now. Europe isn't really important for me, but not getting detached at the bottom of the league after 5 or 6 games is. We could probably get by with what we have for a few weeks and technically not be that under strength, but long term, unless there is a flurry of activity asap, it looks pretty bleak.

I think it's best to treat all speculation which a huge pinch of salt, but if Clarky and Quinn were to leave, it would be best to place all sharp knives and shoe laces out of my reach.....

This pretty much sums up my feelings in a nutshell.

If I believed every rumour that I've heard/read over the last couple of months, then we would have a first team squad of Hammell, Craigan, Fitzpatrick and Sutton going into the new season. So many people have heard so many things "definite, 100%" that as a club we must have more leaks than a sieve. It strikes me that people have heard that Gary McAllister has apparently knocked back the job again and have taken from that the fact that the club will be selling all our assets.

Having said that, things are now dragging on. I don't expect the club to come out and refute every story doing the rounds (Flow would have his hands full with half of it) but it's now less than two weeks til our first competitive game and frankly while Europe doesn't bother me that much, I would be concerned even if the European games weren't there. To start pre-season training and be in a situation where 6 a sides is the only match practise that we have enough first teamers for seems alarming. John Boyle knew that in every likelyhood Hughes, Smith, Malcolm and Klimpl would be leaving this summer. He knew Sheridan was going back to Celtic. It was clear to many of us on here, therefore should have been to Boyle, almost a month ago that McGhee would up sticks and leave. None of these issues have been addressed, it would seem. I'm sure the club are working hard behind the scenes to get a new manager in place but as of now concern is spreading withing the support. Were I Gary McAllister, I would have concerns about taking the Motherwell job if Clarkson, Quinn and Reynolds were being sold, arguably depriving me of the 4 or 5 most important players of last season's team while it being unclear as to how they were being replaced. Having said that, again this is all based on internet rumour and a throwaway comment by Sheepy McShovelface on his departure on how we might have to sell a couple of players. Will we never learn not to believe everything/anything he says?

I find talk of a cash crisis puzzling. Since the folly of administration, Motherwell have run a reasonably tight ship. I find it hard to believe that we are in such a state that despite a large compensation settlement from Aberdeen, despite the SPL paying out the Setanta money for this past season, despite selling Porter, despite getting three of our highest earners off the book, that we will have to sell our best forward and our best defender and have no funds to replace them.

New pitch, new strips, all very nice. All we need now is a team to run onto this new pitch wearing said new strips...

I find it hard to believe that we are in such a state that despite a large compensation settlement from Aberdeen, despite the SPL paying out the Setanta money for this past season, despite selling Porter, despite getting three of our highest earners off the book, that we will have to sell our best forward and our best defender and have no funds to replace them.

I agree with a lot that you say Greg but my understanding is that we DON'T have to sell them. However, if we don't then they will leave for nothing in a year's time. Thats bad business. I would expect though that any fees received, however modest, would help with the salary costs.

In terms of Setanta, we don't really have much debt but rely overmuch on TV income. We need to boost non TV income in short. Its about getting more businesses involved, increasing attendances (if only modestly) and getting more from existing fans.

I have no inside information but would be very surprised if more than one of Clarkson, Quinn or Reynolds were sold. We have lost the perceived highest earners (Malcolm, Buzz, Hughes and possibly Klmpl) through the end of their contracts and received a fee for Porter, McGhee and Leitch while also getting their wages to play with. Surely that would cover a reasonable number of Bosman signings?

I agree with a lot that you say Greg but my understanding is that we DON'T have to sell them. However, if we don't then they will leave for nothing in a year's time. Thats bad business. I would expect though that any fees received, however modest, would help with the salary costs.

I take your point, Dave, but at least in terms of David Clarkson we have to take that gamble. Quinn is a very good player, but I feel we could replace him without overstretching our budget. However any fee received for Clarkson would have to be counted against the cost of relegation. Could we replace him right now with a bosman or loan signing? Frankly no, everything we did the second half of last season went through him and I don't see us being able to acquire a player of his calibre on our budget. We need to gamble that by this time next year, if he leaves for nothing then others such as Murphy and McHugh have progressed sufficiently that replacing him, while seeming difficult, is not the impossible task it seems at the minute...

EDIT: Or to paraphrase someone else: if Clarky were to leave, it would be best to place all sharp knives and shoe laces out of my reach.....

Clarkson (like him or not) is an international player. A lot of people have stated that Paul Quinn is a winner and they like his attitude on the pitch but for me Clarkson has that same grit and determination but channels it better than Quinn and will win us more points. Out of Clarkson, Quinn and Reynolds I'd rather we kept Clarkson and lost the other two rather than the other way around.

Agree that Clarky would be the biggest loss. Jamie Murphy may step up a level next season to cement a regular starting slot and he may not. I would not expect Robert McHugh to make more than the odd appearance. We would be left very short up front. The galling thing is that if Clarky is to move on we'll receive but a modest fee for him. However if he was playing for a club like Crewe or Port Vale he'd automatically be worth twice or three times that.

Agree that Clarky would be the biggest loss. Jamie Murphy may step up a level next season to cement a regular starting slot and he may not. I would not expect Robert McHugh to make more than the odd appearance. We would be left very short up front.

I like your penchant for understatement, Dave :P . "Very short up front"??? We'd have John Sutton and that would be it. When I mentioned Murphy and McHugh, I was talking of them being ready to play a bigger part in 2010/2011. Let's be honest here. If Murphy isn't ready to be a regular first team starter by then, his progress will really have stalled...

I have heard a rumour that we have sold the entire team for 3 bubbly's and a sherbet dip.

I have also heard that we will be playing the Motherwell under 15 girls team in the SPL next season. On top of that Boyle is now only worth 33p and Fir park will be demolished to make way for a mosque................oh and that we will be forced as fans to pay £100 for life towards that.

The amount of Sh1te on this post is unbelievable. People make up fairy stories as they go along.

The truth is that as a club we are not rolling in money - quel surprise! And we will be in an even worse position if we lose approx £1.3m from shitanta that is not replaced.

When all is said and one we will still be in a better position than Killie, Falkirk, St Johnstone, etc etc.

It could well be a painful season ahead and having no manager is hardly ideal at this stage in pre-season.

As for McAllister - And I have no reason to believe it is true - BUT IF he has turned us down again - because we have NO money - AGAIN........Then he can take a flying jump of the erskine bridge and never darken our doors ever again.

But like verything else on this post it is rumour and make believe :(

I quoted SKY SPORTS NEWS!!!! I was not making anything up. So phone SKY SPORTS NEWS and complain to them!!!! :lol:

According to the Record we're offering a full time contract to a Queens Park youth striker named Gary Smith.

We got Steven Saunders from them last year, hope he proves to be another fine young player if true

We've lost Porter too. :lol:

Quite correct. However my point was the team that STARTED away in Nancy. The starting 11 did not feature big Ports. That said he is the one player I would have back in an instant. I hope he gets a good chance next season at Derby. He would be welcome back anytime.

As most people on this site point out there are ways to leave a football club and still earn the respect of the fans. McFadden and Ports for example - with McGhoo and Pearson being the other side of the coin.

I am on the phone right now as I type. Wow somebody is touchy today! And anyway how do you know I was referring specifically to your post..............

Well I was in work and had been since 5 o clock this morning :lol: . You may not have been referring to me specifically but i made the original post to said story as soon as i heard it on Sky Sports News. I just get annoyed when people moan about people posting things that the heard on the news what might be speculation/rumour/lie but it is unavoidable close season and especially when we don't have a manager or a full squad!!!! If people posted non speculative news on this site there would be nothing on it!!

I'm not worried too much about the squad and manager situation, that will get sorted out before the league campaign starts.

What I will say is if we lose Clarkson it will be a bottom six season again and probably not one where we are way ahead of the rest with no real pressure.

He's the player that separates us from being a Top 6 challenger rather than relegation battlers.

I'm not worried too much about the squad and manager situation, that will get sorted out before the league campaign starts.

What I will say is if we lose Clarkson it will be a bottom six season again and probably not one where we are way ahead of the rest with no real pressure.

He's the player that separates us from being a Top 6 challenger rather than relegation battlers.

Accurate summation. And who'd have thought two years ago we'd be saying that about Clarkson...

I might be suffering from a lack of slep but I'm not quite understanding of how Mowbray's appointment at Celtic paves the way for Beevers to come here!?

Maybe because the two clubs who were looking at him, Colchester and Motherwell both had managers quote for the Celtic post and inevitably this delayed his move.

The fans site appear to be suggesting beevers move has been scuppered!

League 2 for Beevers Then.trans.giftrans.gif307_b.jpg

Unless Colchester manager Paul Lambert follows up his interest Beevers summer could lead to little more than a return to League 2 with Notts County. To be fair there are still a lot of Ifs at County until their takeover is completed and Beevers may still end up taking a step up and playing in League One next season .

It has been a musical chairs summer with the chairs disapearing like jobs for the ex Imp who seemed to have some form of Precontract agreement with Mark McGee at Motherwell. McGee was then in line for the Celtic job which threatened to jeopardise the dream of Beevers playing for 'Well at venues such as Celtic Park, Ibrox and Pittodrie. McGee was then offered the Aberdeen job, took it and that dashed the dream once and for all. With little money up in Scotland after a TV deal meltdown between the SPL and Setanta, who would want a job with any club outside the top 4 if you include the poisoned Challis that is Hearts.

Imps fans genuinely wish Beevers well, but County would be a fairer level for a player who is without doubt far more action than consistent ability. Should he line up at centre back for County Fingers Fagan will have a field day at the Bank on September 29th.