In's And Out's

AndyRoss

My intial reaction at first too mate, but I'm not so sure when I think on it. He is a decent player and is young enough to be moulded into a top class player. While I don't see him as an immediate starter for any of these teams, he will surely provide competiton/backup. And he is versatile. He's no better or worse a player than what Naismith and Weir were when they left Scotland for Everton, so maybe....

Aparantly, according to the same source, Celtic were poised to sign him in Jan '08, but after the Uncle Phil tragedy he scuppered the deal and stayed with the club. Last season he was a great assest to the club, and on that form I don't see why he can't have a crack at the Premiership.

The problem is his off the field problems, but he defiantly has "potential" to be a top player (I know I hate that phrase as well!) As he is still under contract, we would command a fee for him and I'd imagine it to be pretty decent (500k +) and that is money I would certainly take to reinvest in the squad. Sure he'd be a loss, but rather sell him now than lose him for nothing when his contracts up!

Just remember, you heard it here first.... :D

I'd have agreed with that comment if he sustained the first half of last seasons form on into this, but seeing that isn't the case I have to disagree. Naysmith was a far superior player, kept Rab McKinnon out the Hearts team after he returned from a successful enough spell with Twente Enschede and Weir was also a far more consistent performer in the SPL than Quinn.

That said if he puts his mind to it I could see him doing well at least top end Championship if he avoids trouble and injury.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Dobbie

Barrowman at ICT is a perfect example of someone that can score barrel loads of goals in the lower leagues and then be totally found out at SPL level.

Even Deuchar (albeit slightly better rate than Barrowman), he broke pretty much every record on his way through with Gretna, and can't score in a brothel in the SPL.

Even Martin Grechan, whom McGhee rated as not good enough and allowed him to move to Stirling permanently, has a very good record in the 2nd Division, and is clearly not SPL standard.

For every Swanson, Gomis, Cowie, Rankin there are plenty who make the step up only to find themselves totally out their depth.

And both Barrowman (Killie) and Dobbie (Hibs) were both let go from SPL clubs, as both deemed not good enough only to make it in the lower leagues. There careers are following a similar pattern. Fair enough Dobbie may be good enough, and be a gem of a signing. But, quite a risky one at that. And we can't afford to pin our faith on a guy that's only proven at lower league level.

And with Queens move into Professional status, they could be in a better position financially to be able to hold out for a fee, that in all likelihood we couldn't afford (especially a risky capture at that). If we are spending money, we need to make sure it's gonna work out for both parties e.g Porter (wages, rather than transfer fee in this case).

I think Dobbie as at the end of his contract.

I've heard from someone close to the coaching staff thare that they are absolutely amazed that nobody is coming for Dobbie. In fact one of the coaches reckons he's as good as any player he's played alongside during his distinguished playing career.

Shed a load of lbs taking his football seriously.

Although i did hear Swansea linked with him last week on the BBC

Edit: These are the type of signings we should be considering.

Dobbie could turn out to be a Jason Scotland or Andy Barrowman. Maybe a risk worth taking. I'd be more tempted by the boy at Clyde. He appears to be establishing a reputation.

As for Coach, I'd reinstate him as captain.

meanwhile if we lose Smith, Hughes, Malcolm and possibly Klimpl I'd be chasing, Alan McCormack, Paul Gallacher x 2 and Scott Arfield if Falkirk are relegated.

As for Coach, I'd reinstate him as captain.

meanwhile if we lose Smith, Hughes, Malcolm and possibly Klimpl I'd be chasing, Alan McCormack, Paul Gallacher x 2 and Scott Arfield if Falkirk are relegated.

I'd agree with you about Quinn. And as much as I like all of your targets, I think you're setting your sights a bit too high. I'd love them all at Fir Park, but we'd be very lucky to get one of them...

Alan McCormack, Paul Gallacher x 2 and Scott Arfield if Falkirk are relegated.

I'd really love to see us signing any of these players, but I just can't see it happening.

I'm not up to date on McCormack's progress down south but I wouldn't have imagined he'd have any need to return to Fir Park, Paul Gallagher is destined for big things down south so would probably see a move up to Scotland as a step backwards, and Arfield could probably wangle a move down to a Championship club. I could maybe see Paul Gallacher coming to us from Dunfermline, but even then - wouldn't we have to pay for him, and would McGhee really want to part with cash for a 2nd keeper when we already have Michael Fraser joining?

Stephen Dobbie though, I'd actually love to see us going for him. Fits the bill for the "lower league gambles" I was talking about earlier. Our squad is tiny as it is and with more players set to leave he's exactly the type of player we should be looking for IMO.

McGhee had very specific requirements for a central defender. You can argue they were too specific, but it's difficult to argue he didn't look (although, not difficult for some posters here, granted).

I know I make myself an easy target on that score, but I don't think you'll find it's just me who can't fathom as to how McGhee hasn't addressed the issue thus far. I know our defending at set pieces has been somewhat better this season, but it is the manager himself who continues to make it clear that he is looking for a defender dominant in the air. Surely if this is something we have required for 18 months and he still hasn't found a suitable player, even the manager would admit this was a small failure on his part...

Hughes and a few others might indeed move on, but does anyone really expect they will be replaced or indeed the redirection of their wages into the budget. Clubs are going to squeeze finances again next season, and our squad will be shrunk once again, like most other recent seasons. I can see us having 12 senior players and rest of the squad made up with youth players.

On the back of a successful season and player sales which helped bring in extra revenue and no reinvestment in the team, are we living in cuckoo land to expect investment given an average to poor season?

Clubs are going to squeeze finances again next season, and our squad will be shrunk once again, like most other recent seasons. I can see us having 12 senior players and rest of the squad made up with youth players.

Funny thing is, things weren't this bad before we had TV money.....

"I'd take Andy Dorman as a replacement for Hughes. I know we have practically no chance of getting him but he's worth a punt. I personally believe he's better than Hughes"

well st mirren are after 1million for him, so sell reynolds and we'll have roughly 1million for him, so i think we could have a chance on him.

loved his goal at the weekend though :ph34r: