There's No Chance Hibs Will Beat Us To The Top 6 Says M Mcgee

NEMO

From BBC sport

Exclusive: There's no chance Hibs will beat us to top six, says Motherwell's Mark McGhee

Apr 16 2009 By Hugh Keevins Chris Roberts

MARK MCGHEE has hit back at the manager he is going toe to toe with in the race to reach the top six - and branded him Mixer Paatelainen.

Hibs boss Paatelainen launched into the mind games earlier this week by insisting the pressure is all on Motherwell as the two sides battle to make the top half of the table with one game to go.

Paatelainen claimed their rivals' bottle will crash on Saturday when they face St Mirren at home.

But McGhee last night fired back and said a wind-up is Hibs' only chance of beating them to the top half of the table.

Paatelainen's men face Rangers on Sunday and, with a one-point lead over the Fir Park side, a win at Easter Road will secure them their top-half status.

McGhee, however, is refusing to throw in the towel yet - not when there's a s400,000 prize on offer.

That's how much Well are set to rake in from bigger crowds who will witness a rousing end to the season rather than a handful of meaningless matches.

With so much at stake the tension is growing but McGhee remains ice cool.

The Fir Park boss said: "Hibs only hope is that we bottle it.

"But if we beat St Mirren they won't be getting into the top six because I don't believe they'll beat Rangers.

"I've got absolutely no worries about the strength of my team's temperament.

"If we failed at any stage in the earlier part of the season then it was because we played poorly, not because our bottle crashed.

"You'd need to have a kind of arrogance about you in the first place if you were to run the risk of your bottle crashing..

"My players are too modest to be troubled by ego in that way.

They're only mortal beings and humans make mistakes from time to time.

"My team has nowhere to crash because they're too honest with themselves.

"They've already shown the strength of their minds by going 14 games with only two defeats while riding out all the injury problems we've suffered."

Well defender Paul Quinn says Paatelainen's attempts will prove fruitless - because his side have been through far worse pressure.

Seven years ago the Well weren't fighting just for points, their very existence was threatened as administration dug in its savage claws.

Then, in 2007, the Fir Park family went through an even more difficult time with the death of Phil O'Donnell. Quinn said: "You can'talk to me about pressure. I've been here fighting for a job, never mind a place in the top six of the SPL.

"Mixu has maybe got the deflectors out a bit here. His team were clearly second best against St Mirren the other night. That doesn't sum up his season because I think he's done a great job.

"Perhaps there is a bit of mind games but I don't get involved in that kind of stuff and neither does our gaffer.We are not interested.

"That stuff 's for Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger and all the other big-hitters. We have big enough characters in our dressing room to handle any occasion.

"The first day after Phil died, we went to Tynecastle and were 2-0 down and they hit the bar. We could have gone into our shell but we took it to a replay and ended up winning that Cup tie as well as finishing third in the league.That was pressure."

Quinn has been under the cosh more than anybody in Scottish football since bursting on to the scene in 2002. He was handed the armband and then stripped of the captaincy after finding himself on the front pages of newspapers after a series of incidents.

Quinn said: "Luck has a part to play in life but I always believe I am never worst off.

"There are people worse off than me, ill people, and you just have to look at the programmes on Hillsborough to know that.

"You look at that and think, 'someone hit me in a nightclub and two months later I got bad press and people thought ill of me'. Big deal. A couple of months later it's forgotten and I can bounce back and get on with my life and career.

Doing the best in my career is what I thrive on. I'm simply not interested in hard-luck stories." As Record Sport revealed yesterday, Well have slashed admission prices for all fans to just s5 in a bid to pull in the punters for Saturday's crunch against St Mirren.

McGhee has applauded the move. He said: "This will be one of those days when the size of the crowd makes a big difference to us.

"Live TV coverage and a 12.30 kick-off time can create problems but the players just want to get on with it."

What do you want MMcG to say??? We are scared of St.Mirren? Hibs do have the better chances?

Then you would come out and ask for head as well, because he doesnt show any balls.

He came out and said, that if we beat St.Mirren we are through and thats how I see it as well. Pretty simple and straight forward. Dont see any problem here what so ever!

McGhee is an arse to be honest.

Heard on the Radio this morning that he doesn't expect the game to be tonight as we'll go for goals early on to get it settled. While he has written off Hibs chances.

Team talk sorted for St Mirren and Hibs!

I agree with McGhee, I thought the game was tomorrow at 12.30! :P

I don't like all the "my team will do this, and his will do that.." but in this scenario, I agree with McGhee as Mics already said, its as simple as saying we win were in the Top 6 because Hibs need to match a win and they won't, not when Rangers can't afford to slip up.

Mind you, Im still nervous as hell.

Heard on the Radio this morning that he doesn't expect the game to be tonight as we'll go for goals early on to get it settled. While he has written off Hibs chances.

I don't have a problem necessarily with what he said, but it should have been said behind closed doors to the players, not bandied about to give St Mirren any more motivation. My other concern is that other than a couple of occasions, when he builds these games up, the team tends to come out a bit flat...

I don't have a problem necessarily with what he said, but it should have been said behind closed doors to the players, not bandied about to give St Mirren any more motivation. My other concern is that other than a couple of occasions, when he builds these games up, the team tends to come out a bit flat...

That's a fair point Melvin - the recent Killie game being an example. All the talk in build up about the prep and staying overnight beforehand etc. then we turn up and play like it's a friendly.

i much prefer it when McGhee and the players do their talking on the park.

I agree with McGhee, I thought the game was tomorrow at 12.30! :P

I don't like all the "my team will do this, and his will do that.." but in this scenario, I agree with McGhee as Mics already said, its as simple as saying we win were in the Top 6 because Hibs need to match a win and they won't, not when Rangers can't afford to slip up.

Mind you, Im still nervous as hell.

Haha - way too early for me this morning!

anyone think due to the fact that we're so hyped up for this and raring to go, that the top 6 is actually a good thing giving a bit of excitement to the mid table battle?

Personally, I think not. This year could be the perfect example of a screw up. If either us or Hibs finish in the bottom six, it's quite feasible that either team could finish on enough points to secure them a Europa League berth, yet be stuck in 7th place.

anyone think due to the fact that we're so hyped up for this and raring to go, that the top 6 is actually a good thing giving a bit of excitement to the mid table battle?

Personally, I think not. This year could be the perfect example of a screw up. If either us or Hibs finish in the bottom six, it's quite feasible that either team could finish on enough points to secure them a Europa League berth, yet be stuck in 7th place.

I completely disagree. Everyone knows the rules, after 33 games the top 6 and bottom 6 split. Ok so sometimes the margin can be slim, tough that is often the way sport is. We could finish bottom 6 on goal difference then go and roger the bottom 5 teams senseless and have as many points or more as a team in a euro position, but seeing as we picked up those points against the league dross we haven't earned it nor are we deserving of europe because we won't have done it when it mattered.

Yes it can make the league table look untidy, but it is a simple concept, everyone understands it and if it is a farce it isn't for those reasons. The reason the split is a farce is due the shambolic way we run our game in general to suit short term thinking and the SPL self prereservation attitudes. I'm not a fan of the split per se but for a 12 team SPL it does a job and does it fairly well by keeping the 3rd quarter of the season somewhat more interesting for midtable teams.

Yeah agree with that. They say that the league is won over an entire season. Why cant it be the same for a euro spot.

take this artificial race for the Top 6 away - and you've got the same teams chasing for the title, the same teams trying to avoid the drop - BUT you've just cut one of the teams chasing a euro spot out the race into no mans land.

I think it's unfair on Hibs or ourselves for that to happen.

I'm assuming you're basing this on the theory that whoever is in the bottom 6 will have easier games? Never going to happen. Whoever is seventh on Sunday night will be lucky to win one more game this season. A team with nothing to play for against five teams under threat of relegation? I know you can argue that whoever gets the sixth spot in the top six will be playing against five other teams with things to play for but at least that team will have their own motivation...

Surely though McGhee is just replying to a journalist's question regarding Mixups quotes in yesterday's papers about the pressure being on us, I agree that a better response would have been

"Don't pay any attention to what Mixup says, he's a fat fud"

but I prefer to hear someone speak his mind rather than trot out the usual manager speak clichés.

All the split does is bring a premature end to some clubs seasons. It's unfair end of and should be binned in favour of a bigger league to spread the money out more which of course won't happen cos the Self Preservation League is the most apt title I've ever heard for a part of Scottish Fitba'

All this qualification palaver should be at the end of the season when prizes are meant to be given out.

Think it must be true, because we would be exactly level on every count. As we have beaten Hibs, lost to them and drew with them, the head to head record doesn't separate the teams either.

Don't think anyone wants an extra game though!

I don't know. One off play off, neutral venue, be like a cup tie. That might get the juices going a wee bit...

Heard on the Radio this morning that he doesn't expect the game to be tight as we'll go for goals early on to get it settled. While he has written off Hibs chances.

With St Mirren fighting for SPL survival and Hibs fighting for a top 6 place do you really think it's McGhee's comments that will be the catalyst for a winning performance from either them?

I like it when MM drops the diplomatic front and get's a bit more aggressive. Granted it doesny always pay off but fuck it, it's a good laugh.