Resign Mcghee?

Malky79

Good to see continuing support for McGhee. After todays result I did expect a landslide of negativity but it appears most people share my opinion that he is still the best man for the job.

I think he's up against it every week as he simply doesn't have the depth of squad he (and we) would like. Something completely outwith his control.

As for the substitions today, I don't know what people expect there. There isn't much to come off the bench just now, it seems Darren Smith and Jamie Murphy have slipped in form and Sheridan is always a hit or a miss.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hammel is never a midfielder, he looked lost at times today.

Coach is never a left back, and then to move him into midfield.....it just doesn't look good for coach and people were getting on his back when you can't blame him for playing where he's been told to play, likewise Hammel.

O'Brien did not have his best game , maybe nerves who knows but why move him to the other wing if your not playing well in your favoured position?????

We may have looked like the better team in the first half but who came home with the 3 points!!!!!

Totally agree, Hammell didn't have the best of times at left wing today, it was perhaps a choice between him and Fitzpatrick to start out wide today. I like Fizzy, but I think Hammell perhaps is slightly more attacking minded, so that could perhaps be why he played. He didn't do too badly, a couple of decent crosses etc, but I agree, not the best performance. I don't understand why coach "is never a left back". He had a good game today (I think so anyway, I've noticed a few people in other threads severely disagreeing with me), and I think that McLean at RB and Coach at LB gives us two excellent defenders who have the ability to get forward as well. You contradict your opinion of the game in your outburst about O'Brien, claiming that "if he's not playing well on one wing, why bother switching him out to the other?" yet also claiming earlier that it wasn't working for the whole team at half time, thus change was required. Again, I disagree with you and think O'Brien had a decent enough game. And I don't think the Hammell/Quinn debate was the reason we never came home with three points (!!!!!!!!!), I personally feel the reason we didn't win was because we've got two guys in the entire squad that can create anythin (Clarky and Hughes, but that's another debate).

Errr...Yes I do, but why have it in the name of the thread when he says that's not what he means.

Why not call it 'Is McGhee Worth The Money' or something along those lines.

Because I assume it was an attempt at opening a debate amongst fans, not an entirely unreasonable thing to do????????

Some of you need to get a fuckin grip. He's the best manager in the SPL, and with him in charge you will definitely keep progressing.

This season has been tough in regards to injuries, and with a small squad like Motherwell have, it must have been a nightmare.

Fickle... fucking understatement.

Some of you need to get a fuckin grip. He's the best manager in the SPL, and with him in charge you will definitely keep progressing.

This season has been tough in regards to injuries, and with a small squad like Motherwell have, it must have been a nightmare.

Fickle... fucking understatement.

Agreed.....ya bastard! B-)

Maybe i am contradicting myself a bit, i'm just so disappointed as i think the team in a whole is better than they showed today.

The point i was trying to make about O'Brien,and i don't think he was soley to blame for todays result,was that he didn't have his best game today, in fact he looked a bit scared,so why not sub him?

I don't think Fitzpatrick should have played in front of anyone who did play,however he may have brought something to the game had he been brought on.

In my opinion Fitzpatrick would probably benefit from a move away from firpark, i feel it would be the making of him!!

The split is farcial so as far as I'm concerned today has no bearing on McGhee's future.

I've made it clear on a number of occassions that I don't particularly like McGhee, however if he is a good manager. And if he want to stay at Motherwell, then I want him to stay.

We do need a clearout however, so that we have a fresh team eager for success.

looks increasingly likely that the folk whos contracts are up will leave for pastures new

buts thats just another part to our Wonderful World of Well we just gotta get up and dust ourselves down for next season

New Pitch

New signings

Personally i cant wait

I defended Mcghee when he was heavily under fire in December and got in several arguments with a lot of 'well fans over their views on his ability but this was confusing to see the least today. PAUL QUINN was played at left back... OK i see his logic was perhaps in playing Hammell left-mid but anyone who thinks coach can play left back is mad. Then we have the subs. We seen against Aberdeen a few weeks ago that Mcghee seems to have serious issues in regards to using subs, they are there to be used but Mcghee seems to have this problem that a good few managers have that they don't have the bravery or sense to use them at a decent time in the match. More and more football matches are being won by subs but no, Mark waits until the last ten minutes, he's clearly a smart man and i wouldn't say he is tactically flawed though today certainly would of suggested just that. So Mark who will you bring on ? Sheridan whom you rated so highly, no lets bring on Murphy...in my opinion far less of a goal threat than Sheridan. I found some of Mcghee's decisions today genuinely confusing, and i feel sad to agree that he should indeed leave. I also find it frustrating that we attract a decent crowd and again we let the fair weather fans down whom may of returned. Rant over

Yes, he should resign because he is a desperately arrogant man. One, for his stupid stupid mind games patter that puts us under pressure ALL the time and secondly because he so convinced with his, at times, mind boggling 'super' tactics that he refuses point blank to change them during a game. (5 defenders today (not including Klimpl), at home in the biggest game of the season, against St Mirren etc..)

But also No, he should not resign or be shown the door as I am afraid we could not get anyone better.

Meh

In my opinion Fitzpatrick would probably benefit from a move away from firpark, i feel it would be the making of him!!

I think he'd benefit more from not being dropped when he's playing well!

I liked the thinking of playing Hammell wide left today, but then playing someone behind him who hasn't got even a hint of a left foot and therefore has no option but to always turn inside, completely defeats the point of it. One change made a positive contribution, but the second change made to allow it to happen, rendered it totally pointless in the first place.

All BLUSTER thats what our manager is!! Thinks he is a better manager than he actually is! Tries to get involved in 'mind games' when he is the manager of a team that bottles it EVERY TIME there is a big occassion (How many Scottish Cup ties and important League games do we not turn up). Does he not learn!!

Tactics - the less said the better! Why for the important games does he change things?

1) Nancy - Shambles

2) St Mirren at home (Cup) - One man up front - Oh aye 'three up' if you belief McGhee

3) Today - Quinn at left back - Hamill midfield

Substitutes - Takes far to long all the time - Aberdeen two weeks ago and then again today - No plan B.

In summary - TIME TO GO -

All BLUSTER thats what our manager is!! Thinks he is a better manager than he actually is! Tries to get involved in 'mind games' when he is the manager of a team that bottles it EVERY TIME there is a big occassion (How many Scottish Cup ties and important League games do we not turn up). Does he not learn!!

Tactics - the less said the better! Why for the important games does he change things?

1) Nancy - Shambles

2) St Mirren at home (Cup) - One man up front - Oh aye 'three up' if you belief McGhee

Substitutes - Takes far to long all the time - Aberdeen two weeks ago and then again today - No plan B.

Tremndously summed up our manager mate!!

You should put that on T-Shirts, half the East Stand would have bought them today!!!

1) Nancy - Shambles

You would get more credit if you could spell our players' names right. Especially one that barring two seasons has been with us since his early teens :wacko:

His substitutions were not too long in coming, when St Midden scored we were on top. I didin't see it and I'm sure McGhee didn't see Reynolds setting up Midden for their goal coming anytime soon.

McGhee is by far the best manager we have had for nigh on 20 years, he is also the best manager in the SPL. But saying that if you're old enough I bet you were one of the thousand that demanded McLean was sacked week in week out so I guess McGhee is in good company.

I think he'd benefit more from not being dropped when he's playing well!

I liked the thinking of playing Hammell wide left today, but then playing someone behind him who hasn't got even a hint of a left foot and therefore has no option but to always turn inside, completely defeats the point of it. One change made a positive contribution, but the second change made to allow it to happen, rendered it totally pointless in the first place.

Have to agree with you 100%....why drop a player when he is playing well and getting better with every game he plays!!!

Main reason why i think a move away would do him good, i feel he will always be classed as the utility player at motherwell no matter what he does whereas at a different club he would be on par with everyone else.

I'm sure given the option he would be happy staying at Motherwell and proving he is better than a utility player, but will he get the opportunity????

looks increasingly likely that the folk whos contracts are up will leave for pastures new

buts thats just another part to our Wonderful World of Well we just gotta get up and dust ourselves down for next season

New Pitch

New signings

Personally i cant wait

Going by the preparation of todays pitch... God no!!! The club not own a roller of any type? Similar problems next season, only hope the figure quoted for repairs includes hiring/firing.

I'm sure there will be a few who sigh wearily when they see my name appear here. But I have a few points to make.

McGhee is not a bad manager. But neither is he the font of football knowledge that many profess him to be. He gets cut a lot of slack because he talks a good game. However there are a few areas that could use some work.

Team Selection

Why for big games does he feel the need to play the team in a shape or positions that are totally alien to them? Four examples.

CIS Cup vs Rangers last season. Went with Ross McCormack as a lone target man and played 4-5-1 against a Rangers team in order to combat the threat from their right back.

Nancy at home. Stephen Hughes at right wing back and three at the back.

St Mirren in the Cup. One up front at home in the cup against a team we should be beating at home.

Today. Hammell at left midfield? It's an idea that a few have touted but was today really the day to try it out. Was this all to nullify the threat of Ross and Dorman?

And for the second home game in a row, the midfield battle was being lost at the start of the second half yet no noticeable changes were made.

Darren Smith and Jamie Murphy have both been used very sparingly this season despite these players having scored crucial goals for us in the last twelve months. McGarry starts despite his last useful contribution being in 2007. Marc Fitzpatrick being benched despite being a key part of our good run. Just questions that need to be answered...

Signings

Porter - Fantastic signing

Hughes - Good s

Neilson/Krysiak/Daniels - Not much to say

Mensing - Wasn't given a chance

Malcolm - Waste of money

Grabban - Pointless signing

O'Brien - Good signing when eventually used

Klimpl - Decent if unspectactular signing. Not as good as some are making out.

Sheridan - Better than DL Smith or Murphy? Hasn't shown himself to be.

Hammell - Decent signing.

Not great reading, is it?

I'm not saying he should resign (I maybe was at 20 past two today :wacko: ), but he needs to take a long hard look at himself. He's getting an easy ride from a lot of people...

Sorry but I can't see how McGhee can go from being one of the best managers we've had last season to one that we want to resign just because we didn't make the top 6.

If McGhee stays I am sure that we will be better prepared next season and hopefully have a few more players to help us out if we hit an injury\suspension crisis like we did in December.

I'd back McGhee to have us challenging for the top 6 again next year, hopefully we'll have a couple of players in that won't allow their bottle to break when it comes to the big games.

And appoint who? Think about it realistically......

Jim Jeffries?! :wacko:

Fact is we're not gonna be able to attract a manager of McGhees "stature", especially now we've not made the top 6, I think he is overhyped but I do believe he's the best we can get!

Ultimately losing McCormack and Porter is whats took the bite out the team and that was out his hands!

And appoint who? Think about it realistically......

Jim Jeffries?! :wacko:

Fact is we're not gonna be able to attract a manager of McGhees "stature", especially now we've not made the top 6, I think he is overhyped but I do believe he's the best we can get!

Ultimately losing McCormack and Porter is whats took the bite out the team and that was out his hands!

To be fair, as much as he's a wank, JJ is the only reason Killie are anywhere near the SPL. They would have been at the arse-end of the 1st division years ago if it wasnt for him.

But neither is he the font of football knowledge that many profess him to be.
I doubt you could name 2 posters to this site that claim he is the font of all football knowledge. It's pretty funny, however, to see people saying he should resign. Talk about short memories.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are occasional years when Motherwell don't qualify for Europe and even a few where we don't finish top 6. At least we had a shot this year. The only thing that surprised me is that I expected us to lose out when Hibs beat Rangers rather than today :rolleyes: