Resign Mcghee?

Malky79

I doubt you could name 2 posters to this site that claim he is the font of all football knowledge. It's pretty funny, however, to see people saying he should resign. Talk about short memories.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are occasional years when Motherwell don't qualify for Europe and even a few where we don't finish top 6. At least we had a shot this year. The only thing that surprised me is that I expected us to lose out when Hibs beat Rangers rather than today :rolleyes:

That would soften the blow a wee bit, even if Mixu Putalineon is a Finnish wank! Poor mans Harri Kampmann :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty laughable! One very average season and all of a sudden the manager should resign. Just remember what position we were in two seasons back?? For a club of our stature we shouldn't be expecting any higher than mid-table anyway. The club and manager are being heavily critised cause of there own success.

I really don't know about all this. Tbh i think Mcghee will resign. We're going to lose a min 5 players this pre season, with the 3 on loan and Hughes and Smith. Plus i think we'll need to sell Clarkson and Reynolds to get a bit of cash into the club.

Next year could be going back to a few years to finishing 9th etc most years. If we wanna do something next year we'll really need to pull off a few cracking signings but it's just not going to happen. Back to the same old same old Motherwell for the next couple of years i'm afraid!

My mates an East Fife fan infact and apperently his club is in some state. Both of us said to each other...this time last year eh?

Mark McGhee is one of the few positives about Motherwell at the moment and in fact Scottish Football in general. Unfortunately he is working with players that are just not good enough in a league that is at best mediocre. So he moves his left back to left midfield. So what? Hammell is a profesional football player so it is up to him to go out and perform. That he can't just shows that he is not good enough. That Mark Reynolds makes the wrong decision under pressure is not McGhees fault it just means Reynolds is not good enough.

Stephen Hughes is the only player in that team that deserves to play in a top league in a European country. That guys like John Sutton and Jim Hamilton (is there any difference in quality between these two players?) play in Scotland's top division shows how poor our league really is.

The pitch thing has been talked about but again today it played a major part in what was a dreadful game of football. How can two professional teams be expected to play on that. It is a total embarrasment. Everything about what we watched today screams second rate. Mark McGhee and Stephen Hughes deserve something better. As for us supporters we deserve better too but unfortunately it's not going to change and we are all too loyal or stupid to simply walk away.

St Mirrens second goal was one entertaining second in 5399 seconds of dross.

Really good post mate. Enjoyed reading it and its spot on accurate.

I can't agree with anything you say. He played Hammell in midfield (!!!!!!) coz he obviously felt that Hammell and O'Brien offer a decent attacking threat, and we have two capable full backs to fill in. He played Coach at left back (!!!!!!) and, in my opinion, it worked. Coach had a good game. A couple of dodgy touches, but I thought he did really well. O'Brien also had a relatively good game, so I don't see what the problem is with switching wings. Changes, in my opinion, should not have been made at half time because it was clear to see we were pretty much in control of the game. Again, changes shouldn't have been made until the end of the game or until St Mirren scored, because we were the better team and they scored against the run of play.

Edit, you're spot on Beesher, perspective is exactly what's required!

:D:O:D:D:rolleyes:

No secret that I dont like McGhee but I have admitted in the past he is a good manager. its his general attitude that stinks. Why does he wait till our biggest games to make changes to a plan that is working?

I am sure it was mentioned by someone else but he just has no "Plan B".

Change it McGhee its no working!!!

No secret that I dont like McGhee but I have admitted in the past he is a good manager. its his general attitude that stinks. Why does he wait till our biggest games to make changes to a plan that is working?

At times it genuinely looks like McGhee deliberately makes noticeable changes for big games in the hope that it pays off, so he can claim to have made a tactical masterstroke!

Another big game, another bizarre line-up, another lack of changes, another defeat.

we're not going to get anyone better so he shouldn't go. he is a good manager but has made far too many errors in team selection this season searching for something that isn't there.

but. there has been no consistency in selection all season. starsail talks about hughes and mcghee being much better than the rest of the people at the club and after wayching the game yesterday i'd probably agree about hughes but mcghee has failed this season. yesterday's experiment of hammell in midfield was madness, first of all for doing it in such an important game and secondly for doing it with coach behind him who couldn't attack down the left and was missed attacking from right fullback. why not just play fitzy at left mid? or even mcgarry, we played quite well against aberdeen. mcghee's use of a lot of players has been baffling this season.

quinn - he has started in five different posistions this season. he is a very good right back, definitely not a midfielder.

mclean - once he got back to fitness the team seemed to be shunted round every week to squeeze him. a year or so ago mcghee was telling anyone who would listen he wasn't good enough but now he's playing guys out of posistion to squeeze him in? mclean sold goals against hearts, aberdeen and rangers but this continued. wtf!

o'brien - shunted between right and left mid over the last two months when he is clearly far more comfortable on the right.

mcgarry - in cold storage for months then brought out for two games and then not even considered good enough to come on as a sub yesterday.

lasley - mcghee say he's our best player at the start of the season but now paul quinn gets a game ahead of him in midfield.

fitzy - plays very well in our best run of the season then gets dumped never to been seen again.

malcolm - played in the first game of the season and embarassed by the hearts midfield. brought out of cold storage and given a free role in nancy. turns out to be useful plugging a gap at CB for a month then never seen again. what a waste of money.

murphy - talked up by mcghee, fucked about at the nancy game then benched for the rest of the season.

porter - dropped for nancy away!!!!!!! mcghee's single worst decision.

sheridan - comes straight into the team and starts 6 or 7 games. now he can only get five minutes when we need a goal.

sutton - frozen out for a while then back in. played every minute of every game recently even although he's been poor.

clarkson - shunted out wide right for two away games then mcghee announces he's knackered and benches him for two must win games. don't play him at wide right at tynecastle then ya clown!

we started an away game at killie with a midfield of murphy-mcgarry-hughes-clarkson

even with all this pish we almost made the top six. with the quality we've got in the squad we could have done this easily by playing our best players in their best posistion.

Mid-table is surely a good position for 'Well, isn't it ? Last season's third place was a superb achievement, but in terms of the club's size 'Well punched above their weight. A comfortable mid-table finish provides a good platform for next season, and losing McGhee would diminish the club's chances of success next season, IMO. He's a good manager. There's the chance of some good times ahead.

we're not going to get anyone better so he shouldn't go. he is a good manager but has made far too many errors in team selection this season searching for something that isn't there.

but. there has been no consistency in selection all season. starsail talks about hughes and mcghee being much better than the rest of the people at the club and after wayching the game yesterday i'd probably agree about hughes but mcghee has failed this season. yesterday's experiment of hammell in midfield was madness, first of all for doing it in such an important game and secondly for doing it with coach behind him who couldn't attack down the left and was missed attacking from right fullback. why not just play fitzy at left mid? or even mcgarry, we played quite well against aberdeen. mcghee's use of a lot of players has been baffling this season.

quinn - he has started in five different posistions this season. he is a very good right back, definitely not a midfielder.

mclean - once he got back to fitness the team seemed to be shunted round every week to squeeze him. a year or so ago mcghee was telling anyone who would listen he wasn't good enough but now he's playing guys out of posistion to squeeze him in? mclean sold goals against hearts, aberdeen and rangers but this continued. wtf!

o'brien - shunted between right and left mid over the last two months when he is clearly far more comfortable on the right.

mcgarry - in cold storage for months then brought out for two games and then not even considered good enough to come on as a sub yesterday.

lasley - mcghee say he's our best player at the start of the season but now paul quinn gets a game ahead of him in midfield.

fitzy - plays very well in our best run of the season then gets dumped never to been seen again.

malcolm - played in the first game of the season and embarassed by the hearts midfield. brought out of cold storage and given a free role in nancy. turns out to be useful plugging a gap at CB for a month then never seen again. what a waste of money.

murphy - talked up by mcghee, fucked about at the nancy game then benched for the rest of the season.

porter - dropped for nancy away!!!!!!! mcghee's single worst decision.

sheridan - comes straight into the team and starts 6 or 7 games. now he can only get five minutes when we need a goal.

sutton - frozen out for a while then back in. played every minute of every game recently even although he's been poor.

clarkson - shunted out wide right for two away games then mcghee announces he's knackered and benches him for two must win games. don't play him at wide right at tynecastle then ya clown!

we started an away game at killie with a midfield of murphy-mcgarry-hughes-clarkson

even with all this pish we almost made the top six. with the quality we've got in the squad we could have done this easily by playing our best players in their best posistion.

Thank you, I didn't have time to type all of that. On the money every word of it, though...

We've had a slightly below average season this time around and now it's time for MM to REALLY earn his inflated salary with what muat be a pre-season spiral of wheeling and dealing,getting shot of the Deadwood at the Ark possibly punting 1 or 2 of our saleable 'assets'. If anyone wants to bid 750000g's for Mark Reynolds i'll personally drive him to any destination while our chairman is biting the hand off the other chairman who sanctions the deal before he sobers up. ;) .

I was expecting something like this to start once a fella in front of me was shouting McGhee Must go at 1-0 down yesterday.

Fair play, i think his tactics were a bit strange and the subs late in coming but there has been a lot of good from McGhee unfortunately this year we just missed out.

We do need some in's and out's, but we all agree on that, and im sure McGhee would as well.

Last season we punched above our weight and got a teriffic 3rd. This season we have finished more or less where we would normally expect finish. Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hearts and Hibs are all city clubs with a bigger fan base, thus more income and able to give higher salaries, so in theory, should be able to bring in better players. Yes, yesterday was disappointing, and I think McGhee should have made changes just after half time when it would give more time for the subs to try and make an impression, but hey, I aint a football manager. However, I think McGhee has still done reasonably well despite the poor run going into Christmas. Hamilton, Inverness and Kilmarnock were occupying top 6 places at the beginning of the season and they are below us now!! McGhee still has a lot to offer and if he can get a few players in (somebody who can at least get a few shots at goal during a game) and have a season with little injury or suspensions, then I think we can aim for top 6 next season. We all support Motherwell and as such, should show support through the good times and the bad times. We cant attract the likes of an Alex Ferguson or Christan Ronaldo, so we need to make do with what we have and give them our total support and that includes McGhee.

I think if McGhee had had this season last year and last season this year nobody would have had any complaints at all. We have dropped too many points to the bottom teams - 4/9 v Falkirk and ST MIrren and 1/9 v Killie isn't good enough for top 6. Our good records v ICT, United and to an extent the Edinburgh teams is what has kept us in it and I think for the most part our play has merited better results than we have achieved. Even in that run before Christmas when we played Killie and Hamilton we were the better team but defensive rubbish and inability to finish cost us. The frustration about yesterday is that we have nothing to play for at all this season (I happen to think we would have had nothing to play for in top six either) and we lost without much of a fight or urgency.

Should McGhee resign? No - he has done well with us on the whole and he is right that the run in November and December where we lost to three of the bottom six and Hibs without much about us at all which is where the season went tits up. He recovered them well from that and managed to build as good a run as I can remember for many years. The faults are as has been said an unwillingness to drop the 'key' men and while I think the five defenders we played yesterday are maybe all better players than Fitzpatrick none of them are better midfielders than him and he should be playing him (or Lasley) in the middle. You also never feel confident he will make a substitution that will positively impact the game and when other managers make these substitutions there is a failure to react.

Also the start of a 2nd half has become an achilles heel (especially at home). Since the turn of the year United, Falkirk, Aberdeen and St Mirren have been outplayed in the first half and then had a good spell at the start of the second (usually related by the inability to react to a change).