Mark McGhee

DEWELL

Have read today on teletext that MM has only got funds available for loan deals till the end of the season. Was thinking that to free some funds why not sell Chris Porter and see if there's any interest in Paul Quinn to help us get 3 players that i feel we need. We're as well cashing in on Porter as we got him for nowt and hasn't set the heather on fire for us this season and with Sutton Clarky and Murphy up front we could handle his departure. As for Quinn he's been pants all season and a move would be benificial to all to give him a fresh start. What do you all think? :P .

Have read today on teletext that MM has only got funds available for loan deals till the end of the season. Was thinking that to free some funds why not sell Chris Porter and see if there's any interest in Paul Quinn to help us get 3 players that i feel we need. We're as well cashing in on Porter as we got him for nowt and hasn't set the heather on fire for us this season and with Sutton Clarky and Murphy up front we could handle his departure. As for Quinn he's been pants all season and a move would be benificial to all to give him a fresh start. What do you all think? :P .

we should sell porter in january if we get a offer about 300k.the squad needs to be freshened up with some new faces and well stand a better chance if weve got some money to play with.thats if boyle doesny pocket it for himself.i know there were a few english clubs looking at quinn last season so somebody might take a chance on him in january but they way hes been playing this season i would doubt it

We might also get something for Steve Hammell if we were to tout him around. That would boost our transfer funds would it not? He's had a poor season.

And we seem to be forgetting that Porter is absolutely quality and even though he hasnt been at 100% yet this season, hes still a cut above most other strikers in the league. Anyone who cant see that doesent know all that much about football.

Last year Porter was tremendous. This season he has been as equally useless as the rest of his team mates. It's difficult to imagine Paul Keegan having any less of an impact thus far. We are forever being told that Hughes is quality also, but what's he done so far this term for the cause? We are sitting 2nd bottom of the league in mid December. McGhee says he's not panicing? Maybe if I was only his enormous salary I wouldn't be either. But I'm not, and I am. Perhaps if our manager was asked some hardball questions for a change the reality of the situation we are in would hit home.

So can I ask, if we're to sell our right back, our left back and a striker. How is signing three players going to get us in a better position. Three in, three out makes look no better than we are. To make us better we need to sign more players than we let go.

Personally I wouldn't part with Coach or Ports in the January window. We'd get a pittance for Ports anyway and I have faith in Paul Quinn. He is capable of much, much better as he's proved. In some ways he's been his own worst enemy but he's had horrible luck these past 12 months and been badly managed by Mark McGhee. Steve Hammell on the other hand is as good as he's going to get and probably peaked about 3/4 years ago.

In short though I agree we need to add to the squad starting with the defence.

Personally I wouldn't part with Coach or Ports in the January window. We'd get a pittance for Ports anyway and I have faith in Paul Quinn. He is capable of much, much better as he's proved. In some ways he's been his own worst enemy but he's had horrible luck these past 12 months and been badly managed by Mark McGhee. Steve Hammell on the other hand is as good as he's going to get and probably peaked about 3/4 years ago.

In short though I agree we need to add to the squad starting with the defence.

I agree mate Quinn has been treated about harsh as late and if we're going to sell a full back what about Hammell ? He's been consistently shite.Quinn obviously has been crap for a while but i don't think he's been any worse than anyone else in the defence.I think in the long term he has more potential than others tae.

Tell you what. Mark McGhee isn't exactly going to leave our squad in the best of shape if/when he eventually leaves in the summer. Not saying it is entirely his fault but with our squad made up of loan deals, expired contracts and third rate duffers like McGarry and O'Brien it hardly bodes well for next season and beyond, does it?

Tell you what. Mark McGhee isn't exactly going to leave our squad in the best of shape if/when he eventually leaves in the summer. Not saying it is entirely his fault but with our squad made up of loan deals, expired contracts and third rate duffers like McGarry and O'Brien it hardly bodes well for next season and beyond, does it?

Alternatively, any new manager coming in has a clean slate to build the team HE wants with the players HE wants and not having to make the best of it with another guy's signings.

That must be McGhee's plan when offering them new contracts. :(

I heard that Talksport interview with the guy from the Times this morning. They were fairly talking up McGhee for the job. For what it's worth, I actually think that the Blackburn job might be the type of realistic position he would be prepared to leave for. He always said he wanted to prove himselff at the top level and Premiership is definitely the best league in the world. Also, if he kept them up he'd be hailed as a miracle worker but if they went down, a lot of the blame could be put on Ince and the disasterous start to the season. I normally laugh off a lot of rumours concering our manager/players but I think this is an interesting one, if indeed Blackburn are even contemplating him, in the first place....

He always said he wanted to prove himselff at the top level and Premiership is definitely the best league in the world.

"Best?" Nah. There are no Dean Windasses or Joey Bartons in the best league in the world. "The most over-hyped league that people are prepared to throw silly money at?". Definitely.

While I agree that people are prepared to throw silly money at it, I still believe it's the best league in the world. I suppose it depends on what criteria you define "best" as. For me, it's the most entertaining league to watch and you can't argue with the standard of the league based on Champions League placings for the past several years.

I'm sure Serie A and La Liga also have their own versions of Dean Windass!! I suppose this debate is probably one that merits a thread of it's own...

why would we want to sell Porter?!? ;)

More likely who would want to buy him. He's not exactly set the heather on fire this season and anyone interested can pick him up for free in the summer. Can you honestly see English clubs, in the midst of a credit crunch throwing money at us for a guy sitting on 4 SPL goals this season?

I can't see anyone paying us any significant amount of money for Porter. We got him for nothing and he'll most likely leave for nothing.

"Best?" Nah. There are no Dean Windasses or Joey Bartons in the best league in the world. "The most over-hyped league that people are prepared to throw silly money at?". Definitely.

I agree! Having watched La Liga regulary this season (make that at least 2 games every weekend!) Spanish football is much better than English football. Its a better quality and much more exciting to watch. My main point would be watch Manchester Utd v Spurs at the weekend two big clubs (okay, Spurs league position doesn't tell you that..) but, what a dreadful game that was, a couple of hours later I was onto La Liga and within the first 15mins I enjoyed more than a 90min match from the Premiership.

Last season I wouldn't have had an opinion and would say the Premiership was the best but, the quality of La Liga is much better!

But, back on topic..

I reckon McGhee will be away come end of the season but, I'd say 90% confident he wont be at the Premiership!

• 3 months later...
It's difficult to imagine Paul Keegan having any less of an impact thus far.

I searched and searched for a Paul Keegan reference and this was the only one I could find! Anyway, came across this rather good goal he scored once....honest, it's him.....