Canterbury

Guest 'Flow

I'm not a fan of this type of advertising, but I can see it's uses. it's purpose is to build some tension and increase interest in the product. To work well that kind of advertising has to be either, done on a larger scale with a bigger product, or done over a shorter time period with a limited product.

It's one thing teasing millions of Coke or Pepsi drinkers over a few weeks, but teasing a couple of thousand Motherwell supporters for a couple of months is gilding the lily a wee bit. If you want to gauge the success of the tactic you judge the reaction of the clientele, and the fact is there are as many posts about the ludicrousness of the campaign as there are about the product. A good advertising campaign excites interest in the product being promoted, when the campaign itself becomes the talking point rather than the product, the campaign has failed.

what about that compare the meerkat. arguably the most succesful uk advertising campaign of the year. last time i checked it wasny sellin meerkats. i think you are talking pish a bit. anything to get people talking about the product is a bonus and as far as i can see this is the most interest that has been created from a shirt launch in recent years for motherwell

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sums up some Motherwell fans, who for the record clearly do not know what they are talking about e.g. calling this an advertising campagin when it clearly involves no form of advertising. Whilst most fans look at it from their personal perspective, many fail to recognise the bigger picture.

The campaign involves improving public relations and generating a bit of excitement around the new kit. IMO the launching of a new kit is more exciting for kids rather than adults, and this should be recognised by the club. More kids are likely to buy the strip than adults, therefore I do not see why a campaign designed to induce a bit of excitment in the younger fans can be viewed negatively.

For me this is a small but clear indication that the club is moving in the right direction.

what about that compare the meerkat. arguably the most succesful uk advertising campaign of the year. last time i checked it wasny sellin meerkats. i think you are talking pish a bit. anything to get people talking about the product is a bonus and as far as i can see this is the most interest that has been created from a shirt launch in recent years for motherwell

Are you sure it wasn't selling meerkats? Have you tried the site? The meerkat in question is called Alexander Orlov, they've taken this advert so far that the meerkat has it's own website and is on facebook. The copmpare the market website has quadrupled it's traffic since the campaign started. It's a totally different form of advertising from the teasing method used by the club and there is absolutely no comparison between that and the club's approach. Well there is, one's an advertising campaign run professionally by professionals and the other is a school project.

To be perfectly honest I'm already bored stiff with it and surely that's contrary to what the campaign is all about. I'll wait until the whole strip goes on show and then I'll have a look at it, as for getting all excited about wee glimpses of the shirt, "oooh the badge is in the middle", "is it a hoop or a band ?", I grew out of that kind of pish when I was about 7.

It's amatuerish in the extreme.

To be perfectly honest I'm already bored stiff with it and surely that's contrary to what the campaign is all about. I'll wait until the whole strip goes on show and then I'll have a look at it, as for getting all excited about wee glimpses of the shirt, "oooh the badge is in the middle", "is it a hoop or a band ?", I grew out of that kind of pish when I was about 7.

It's amatuerish in the extreme.

Calm yir jets ffs :lol:

Its something harmless and a bit different to try and generate some interest, beats the usual, previously mentioned, players on the park unveiling. No need to get all wound up about it, either lighten up a bit and enjoy the fact we're going to get some damn good kits or shut up and ignore it, its simple. The previews of the top would've worked better if the fixtures were in our favour but obviously thats out of the Club's control but regardless of that, I'm looking forward to the next one :) Quite excited by the fact we're getting kits like these :)

AZ Alkmar Dutch champions dont seem to be that impressed with Canterbury,changed supplier after one season......from football shirt culture

"AZ ALKMAAR have signed a three-year agreement with Quick to provide the 09/10 match kits and training outfits. Quick was also the AZ kit manufacturer for two seasons between 2006 and 2008. This season Canterbury of New Zealand provided the 08/09 kits and training gear" :)

I really can't see why TheLip is going all apoplectic over this to be honest. He seems to be taking it a wee bit too seriously when there are far bigger things to be worrying and moaning about than the teaser campaign for Motherwell FC's new home kit!!! :)

Although I seem to recall in the thread about the kit that he's not happy at all about Canterbury being the maker... or something along those lines. Said he wasn't going to be buying it even though he hasn't seen it. I don't know if he usually buys the tops, but if he does it's a bit strange, fair enough though, he's entitled to take that stance if he wants. His point's been made now though, so hopefully that's that.

Ok maybe someone can help me out here....maybe even Flow if one of the answers doesn't mean he is giving too much away.

I see preview 3 is appearing in the ICT programme with number 4 in the Killie one. I take it the full strip will be unveiled at halftime during the Killie game then?

Then there is another matter I don't think I have seen discussed..........the away strip!

Is this going to be released the same way as the home shirt or is it just going to get shown to the Motherwell public at the same time?

I really can't see why TheLip is going all apoplectic over this to be honest. He seems to be taking it a wee bit too seriously when there are far bigger things to be worrying and moaning about than the teaser campaign for Motherwell FC's new home kit!!! :(

Although I seem to recall in the thread about the kit that he's not happy at all about Canterbury being the maker... or something along those lines. Said he wasn't going to be buying it even though he hasn't seen it. I don't know if he usually buys the tops, but if he does it's a bit strange, fair enough though, he's entitled to take that stance if he wants. His point's been made now though, so hopefully that's that.

I'm not apopleptic about it, to be honest I couldn't give a toss. I just thinking teasing everybody for a couple of months is ludicrous. I generally do buy the tops and have a fair old collection at home, strips, training tops, polo shirts, t-shirts, the lot.

I just don't like Canterbury's stuff, I've got a couple of Scotland rugby tops that are Canterbury, and they are howling (they were gifts, I wouldn't have bought them for myself). So it will definitely be missing from my collection.

I see preview 3 is appearing in the ICT programme with number 4 in the Killie one. I take it the full strip will be unveiled at halftime during the Killie game then?

Then there is another matter I don't think I have seen discussed..........the away strip!

Is this going to be released the same way as the home shirt or is it just going to get shown to the Motherwell public at the same time?

Aye, good questions Finlay. And if the strip is being unveiled at half time in the Killie game, would it be worthwhile to start selling them in the club shop for a couple of hours immediately after the game?

I'm presuming the away strip will just be a white and claret reverse of the home strip, but i'm as interested in the away strip as the home one!

Jeeeeeeesus. What do you folk thing the whole countdown timer is counting to??? :O

It's counting down to June the 20th ya fud. Are your eyes painted on? :D

So what we all want to know is . . . . . . will the strip be available after the Killie game which is on 23rd May

:O:D:D

What's the countdown clock for again? :D

Guest 'Flow

Just to clear up....

- 3rd teaser tomorrow night (shows quite a bit more than the others).

- Pre-Order Information released.

- 4th and final teaser at Killie.

- Full reveal of the home kit shortly after.

- Available to buy on June 20th.

- Away kit reveal and sale to follow July / August.

'Flow

For those that didn't see the preview (hopefully someone more gifted can post an image :lol: ) today it was as expected......the collar. Pretty much the same style as the current Scotland and Dalziel rugby tops. The Canterbury logo is very close to the neck and 'The Steelmen' is printed a couple of times in the inside of the collar.