Mcghee Speaks About Relegation

one_luc_nijholt

Guest 'Flow
Financially we are all in the same boat, indeed we are probably better off than many of our SPL counterparts.

We are but we've got the additional expense of fireproof painting of the POD Stand, upgrading of the floodlights and the replacement of the pitch / USH / Drainge system that will cost us over 500k combined.

That money has to come from somewhere I am afraid....

'Flow

I didn't see any mention of the word "relegation" from McGhee there. Of course we will be in a scrap next season, because there isn't much to choose between ourselves and 5 or 6 other teams. But it will be a scrap for the top 6, not a relegation scrap.

If that money has to come from somewhere, why does it have to come from a budget earmarked from signing new players. If that work has been needing done for some time, why was money not put aside to deal with it?

I'm not disputing that the work needs done but people are being asked to dig deep in hard times to fund the club and if there are going to be no new faces brought in, I think disappointed won't cover how fans feel.

We struggled this season, I think most fans will have an idea about how we might play next season with no replacements for the players who will be going.

If that money has to come from somewhere, why does it have to come from a budget earmarked from signing new players. If that work has been needing done for some time, why was money not put aside to deal with it?

I'm not disputing that the work needs done but people are being asked to dig deep in hard times to fund the club and if there are going to be no new faces brought in, I think disappointed won't cover how fans feel.

We struggled this season, I think most fans will have an idea about how we might play next season with no replacements for the players who will be going.

Fantastic point Wellgirl. Exactly what I was thinking.

We are still being expected to fund the club with our season ticket money but sounds like we will be getting few signings to boost us.

All we and being having a good playing surface but not if we dont have a good team to play on it.

Name any 'keeper in the league that does any of the above with any success.

Not as much a loss as a midfielder that only came back on to any sort of form in the last month.

Keepers are paid to save shots but they should also be able to deal with cross balls in and around their 6 yard box. Buzz is awful at that and in my opinion any reasonable keeper coming in can do the job he has been doing so far. It's all about opinions.

Hughes is about the only player at Fir Park with a bit of class about him. Granted this season hasn't been his best but it hasn't been a good one for the whole team compared to last year. Much rather have a creative midfielder in the team to support the front players.

Canny help but feel that with McGhee at the helm there has never been a better time for the 'great leap forward' we have all been waiting for. If only he had the financial freedom given to previous managers we could have something really special going on.

Ach. :P

think he's just setting himself up for realism next season.

I imagined this sort of statement coming out of Butcher's mouth if he hadn't moved to Sydney. He was losing his best players and that we couldn't afford to replace them.

Keepers are paid to save shots but they should also be able to deal with cross balls in and around their 6 yard box. Buzz is awful at that and in my opinion any reasonable keeper coming in can do the job he has been doing so far. It's all about opinions.

Hughes is about the only player at Fir Park with a bit of class about him. Granted this season hasn't been his best but it hasn't been a good one for the whole team compared to last year. Much rather have a creative midfielder in the team to support the front players.

I can totally see your point but Hughes just doesnt cut it for me. He's not the kind of midfielder that he tries to be. Granted he's been a bit more free with his shooting and more decisive with his passing recently, however, he's got the Brian Kerr look about him.

If they both go I think we'll Smith more. For Hughes being a creative midfielder, I feel he's not created enough for us this season.

Canny help but feel that with McGhee at the helm there has never been a better time for the 'great leap forward' we have all been waiting for. If only he had the financial freedom given to previous managers we could have something really special going on.

Ach. :rolleyes:

Totally agree with this statemnet. Had the same conversation with my old man the other day.

Imagine he was given the money to spend that say, Mcleish or Davies did. Maybe fans would start coming back. Hopefully Boyle will read this and realise that a bit of speculation with the cash might see that extra step forward. I know he helped with Ports and Hughes but neither the two of them will be here next year so maybe he can do it again.

We are but we've got the additional expense of fireproof painting of the POD Stand, upgrading of the floodlights and the replacement of the pitch / USH / Drainge system that will cost us over 500k combined.

That money has to come from somewhere I am afraid....

'Flow

Totally appreciate that 'Flow and there ain't much we can do about it. Paying the price for cutting corners throughout the Boyle era.

Frustrating times ahead.

I can totally see your point but Hughes just doesnt cut it for me. He's not the kind of midfielder that he tries to be. Granted he's been a bit more free with his shooting and more decisive with his passing recently, however, he's got the Brian Kerr look about him.

If they both go I think we'll Smith more. For Hughes being a creative midfielder, I feel he's not created enough for us this season.

Aye oright, he's had a bit of rough year in terms of form, you can't compare him to Kerr though! Hughes is miles ahead of that shitebag.

and rammer I'd say buzz is very decent at communicating with his defence you just have to listen at any game he is always squeeking out orders. Has come on leaps and bounds this year and I would be gutted to lose him.

and rammer I'd say buzz is very decent at communicating with his defence you just have to listen at any game he is always squeeking out orders. Has come on leaps and bounds this year and I would be gutted to lose him.

Aye, but it's only the local dogs that can hear him! :huh:

There is no doubt that we'll have more outgoings over the summer, but if we'd repaired the pitch properly last year then we wouldn't be in this predicament.

What MMG is saying may be realism, but at a time when we're trying to sell season tickets, its not the positive noises fans want to hear. If we canny compete with St Johnstone then that is a poor situation indeed.

From what I've heard from people who know the First Division, St. Johnstone have not been very impressive and they probably know they have to bring a few players in. The chances are the rest of their squad will be poorly paid as 1st division players so they are able to pay a bit more for players just now based on the money they know they will receive. We have to keep playing SPL wages to our squad.

The various teams below us will all be in the same boat and are also likely to be weaker next season so I don't think we need to panic just yet. We also have a more successful youth set-up than most of the clubs below us to help bolster the squad if need be.