Mark McGhee

jazz

Motherwell fans are arseholes.

I'm sorry, but were the most fickle bunch of people there is, we're never up but we're down, when we win, we were lucky, and Player X is shite and sack the manager cause he's a whore/shite (delete as applicable) and when we lose it the same times ten.

Our place in Scottish football IS to be down the lower end of the table, scrapping, with the odd glimpse of success here or there, it has been so for as long as I can remember.

Too many 'Well fans have ideas above their station about this club and need a reality check, it's not a good thing to read, but it's true, we will NEVER consistently play well, finish well in the league, win cups, what we will do is be shite, be inconsistent, be frustratingly bad and that will always be the case sadly, no matter what manager we have or what players we have, it always has been and always will be.

We need to deal with it that way, and enjoy it for what it is.

Sad to say, believe me, but true.

We need to get real.

Basically what I think mate, respectfully and all that.

Getting beat is one thing, but we have had no semblance of any convincing game plan and been devoid of the fundamental basics in 95% of every game this season. This is not a knee jerk reaction to a defeat, the feeling that something wasn't right has been steadily growing in many fans minds all season and the last few games have only served to add strength to the arguement that the unthinkable is a very real possibility.

Neil

I understand what your saying but my comments are about a missed opportunity and as the manager he takes any blame if thats what its called. There was the chance to strengthen a good team, increase the profile of the club, entice more fans through the turnstiles and still stay within our means. What did MM do?

And its because I've watched and waited a long time for the club to start being ambitious (sensible though) again.

Bad, I can accept, Neil. A lack of interest from the majority of the players/manager when we're shelling out our hard-earned to watch them, that I find hard to stomach...

I agree with that. I can cope with us being rubbish, we're Motherwell not Barcelona. What I can not/will not tolerate is a lack of interest, a lack of pride/dignity/self-respect. Motherwell fans know we are not going to compete with the OF or win cups regularly, what we do expect however is a manager and a squad who are prepared to put up a fight and show the required pride/dignity/self-respect. Some meet the criteria IMO, more do not.

It's not unreasonable for us to expect people, who are earning significantly more than the fans who pay their wages, to apply themselves and have a bit of backbone.

Speak for yourself chubs. The performances this season have been unacceptable for a team in our position, the team should at least be capable of fighting, sorry at least should have some fight and effort. This season's team is full of imposters.

Were a wee diddy team from a small town. Last season was a turn up for the books. McGhee is a one hit wonder and always will be.

What exactly are you saying? Not the best thought out post I've read on these forums. Are you implying I'm not allowed an opinion?

Nah, I was just trying to show some jovial witticism in light of our team being shite as usual. But i guess thats not allowed on www.moanymoanynaefunmenonline.co.uk

McGhee's post match comments taken from The Sun:

MOTHERWELL boss Mark McGhee looked at the fixture list a month ago and smiled.

Hamilton away, December 20. A real chance for three points. Now he’s not so sure after crashing to Kilmarnock at Fir Park.

As Well head for a crucial live TV derby where defeat would put them joint bottom of the SPL, McGhee admitted: “There’s no such thing as a banker, but it was a game I really thought we could go and win.

“Now I believe we could lose it. I’m not saying we will, but we could if we play the way we did here.

“We lost to them in a cup tie we might have won and then beat them comfortably in the league, so I fancied us. But we need to play better than this.

“Right now, what we produced here is our best and that’s plainly not good enough.

“We were probably the better team until they scored, but after that they dug in and got their sleeves up and it was the same old story of late for us.

“Had we got a goal, we would probably have looked like they did, but that’s because you need something to hold on to and we didn’t have that.”

McGhee shouted orders to his men amidst the strange atmosphere of Fir Park’s lowest crowd of the season, just 3,339, but he refused to blame stay-away fans for their problems.

He said: “It obviously better if you have more fans, but the crowd is no reason for this result.

“We just didn’t do well enough. We have to work to improve.

“For them to score the first goal from a corner is disappointing.

“We’ve not had the same problems on set-pieces recently as we had before, but we were without Paul Quinn and Stephen Craigan and they are important for us.

“After that, they just battered the ball back into our half most of the time and it’s their right to do that.”

Were a wee diddy team from a small town. Last season was a turn up for the books. McGhee is a one hit wonder and always will be.

We might be a diddy team, and even if we are, the other diddy teams fight harder. I have no problem with Motherwell having a bad team, we're not though and here's the trouble, good teams fight through their sticky patch, we just seem to have surrendered going through ours.

i ok Mark its the crowds fault get to fuck ya fucking imposter of a manager

JT.

He never said that, he actually stated the opposite. I was actually in the press conference and to be honest it was pretty clear from his comments (and also the comments from Keith Lasley) that it is down to the players for the performances and no one else, and they are more than aware they need to improve to climb up the table.

Reading through this thread and I can see where some people are coming from reference McGhee and the performances being like a Malpas team.

However I believe it's the players that need to take a look at themselves here as much as if not more than McGhee.

I believe McGhee will turn things around but it has shown how thin our squad is.

Is this down totally to McGhee or are the Board at fault here. I can't honestly see McGhee taking Kennedy to Austria with us unless he had assurances from the Board about backing him with the funds to bring him in.

Then you look at the players he did have on trial, fair enough a couple of them may not have been up to the job bu what demands did the others have that Board wouldn't match?

Is it possible that Boyle was happy to renegotiate McGhees contract to keep him because he thought there'd be offers fo players during the Summer and the only one that seemed to transpire was for Reynolds. Of course McGhee knocked this back and may have lost any chance of having any cash because of it. However we were all of the same mind at the time, that a) the offer wasn't high enough and B) we'd be losing the best one of our central pairing.

How many of us now would have taken the cash and ran?

Reynolds hasn't been the same player this season and I'm not saying he's the only one but he was one of our most consistent performer last season.

I have to admit I expected to see more of Hughes and Porter especially as they are really putting themselves in the shop window at the minute with their contracts due to expire.

Folk have been going on about McGarry's performance last night but him and Saunders were the only ones that were getting decent crosses into the box and still our 2 tall strikers couldn't get on the end of any of them.

There was a commnt earlier about McGhee's substitutions, can I ask who else could he have brought on last night?

O'Brien for Malcolm - I believe he was right to take Malcolm off but he should've brought on Fitzy or Dairylea. As soon as McGarry moved to the right side he never got another cross in and O'Brien did hee haw.

Murphy for Sutton - Don't think it mattered which one of the front two he took off it would've still been the same result.

Dairylea for McGarry - I'd have taken O'Brien back of and shoved on McHugh and went 4-3-3 with Murphy and McHugh running at the defence and Porter as the target man for them.

Anyway c'mon McGhee show that you can turn this lot around.

There was a commnt earlier about McGhee's substitutions, can I ask who else could he have brought on last night?

O'Brien for Malcolm - I believe he was right to take Malcolm off but he should've brought on Fitzy or Dairylea. As soon as McGarry moved to the right side he never got another cross in and O'Brien did hee haw.

Murphy for Sutton - Don't think it mattered which one of the front two he took off it would've still been the same result.

Dairylea for McGarry - I'd have taken O'Brien back of and shoved on McHugh and went 4-3-3 with Murphy and McHugh running at the defence and Porter as the target man for them.

I think you answered your own question there on the subs!

Guest JohnnyDefault
Reading through this thread and I can see where some people are coming from reference McGhee and the performances being like a Malpas team.

However I believe it's the players that need to take a look at themselves here as much as if not more than McGhee.

I believe McGhee will turn things around but it has shown how thin our squad is.

Is this down totally to McGhee or are the Board at fault here. I can't honestly see McGhee taking Kennedy to Austria with us unless he had assurances from the Board about backing him with the funds to bring him in.

Then you look at the players he did have on trial, fair enough a couple of them may not have been up to the job bu what demands did the others have that Board wouldn't match?

Is it possible that Boyle was happy to renegotiate McGhees contract to keep him because he thought there'd be offers fo players during the Summer and the only one that seemed to transpire was for Reynolds. Of course McGhee knocked this back and may have lost any chance of having any cash because of it. However we were all of the same mind at the time, that a) the offer wasn't high enough and B) we'd be losing the best one of our central pairing.

How many of us now would have taken the cash and ran?

Reynolds hasn't been the same player this season and I'm not saying he's the only one but he was one of our most consistent performer last season.

I have to admit I expected to see more of Hughes and Porter especially as they are really putting themselves in the shop window at the minute with their contracts due to expire.

Folk have been going on about McGarry's performance last night but him and Saunders were the only ones that were getting decent crosses into the box and still our 2 tall strikers couldn't get on the end of any of them.

Stevie Wonder could see that McGarry was the first player that should have come off - in terms of changing things - bring Murphy on oand going 4-3-3 at this point. In fact McGarry was probably the biggest mistake in the starting line up - I'd have had poster boy for the boo boy brigade #2 - Fitzy on from the start.

If I see McGarry getting the ball when we're sweeping forward, wheeling round like some figure skater and playing the ball backwards once more I think I'll personally run on and brain him.

First lesson for him and Hammel today are about the basics of "which way are we shooting?" - Its been said before - You get far more from two big strikers if you get your wide players to go on the ouside an cut crossess back from the bye line.

Why take O'Brien back off? He's a focal point for folks frustration for some reason, not just at the moment - I'm talking all season - Why? - i genuinely don't think he's as bad as people on here are making out. to be fair McGhee should shoulder some of the blame for this - as he should have had far more run outs than he's had particularly away from home - where he's away from - as the Kaiser Chiefs say - the angry mob.

I'll stick my neck out and say - i think O'Brien is a better player than both McGarry or Darren Smith - In fact I'm thinking Darren Smith in past tense. I like the boy, think its great that he's a well fan - but unfortunately the SPL aint his level.

McGhee is on about missing Quinn and Craigan - I'd have Saunders an Klimpl based on last night - any day of the week.

Why take O'Brien back off?

I can't say I am against O'Brien BUT he made us worse last night when he came on, I know would that have been possible? But yes it was.

Once he came on we had nothing coming in from his side and we lost the crosses from Saunders on the right when McGarry moved over.

Guest JohnnyDefault
I can't say I am against O'Brien BUT he made us worse last night when he came on, I know would that have been possible? But yes it was.

Once he came on we had nothing coming in from his side and we lost the crosses from Saunders on the right when McGarry moved over.

Saunders seemed to lack the same confidence in the second half and seemed genuinely a bit phased by having to play in front of the East stand - scared to do something wrong. As the half progressed he hesitatated loads and didn't go forward to support - that's the sole reason for crosses from him drying up.

O'brien didn't make us worse when he came on - that's just nonsense - as a team Motherwell got worse as the game progressed and we ran out of steam and ideas.

For me there are two main problems - 1) the long ball shite and 2) The fannying about in the last third - where we expect defences to part and us to walk the ball into the net like some 3wk old puppy whos legs huvny staryed working yet - or alternatively - when we've got level with the 18 yard box we start playing a game of - how few passes can it take us to get it back to OUR 18 yard box.