Mark McGhee

jazz

However as mentioned elsewhere I would be looking to someone like Bobby Williamson. He wouldn't play attractive football but he would pick up enough points to ensure SPL survival which should always be our main aim!

If we are still in a similar position come the end of the season, then I think we should look at changing the manager then.

Someone such as Williamson or even Billy Reid would be my choice.

I don't think we'll go down though, as we have more quality than Accies, St Mirren & ICT when all of our players are fit & available.

We've certainly hit a bad spot just now, but i'm not going to start worrying about relegation too much at this stage of the season.

or even Billy Reid would be my choice.

So you would replace our current manager who guided us to third in his only full season with us. Playing some of the best football we've played in 15 years.

With a guy currently sitting below us(even though we've been crap this season) and also went through a spell this season where they won 2 points from 30 points, featuring a 2-0 defeat against us.

That doesn't make sense!! :blink:

What the hell has Billy Reid ever done to merit being mentioned here? He's done OK in the lower leagues but Accies aren't any better off than us just now and people have been ranting for long and weary that it's about time we stopped giving managers their first chance or first big chance, and McGhee was the first time in donkey's years we got n experienced guy in. Althogh we are struggling this year, no-one can argue with what he achieved last year.

As for Williamson, everyone is moaning that we have turned into a long ball team this season after the great football we witnessed last year. What do you think Williamson's tactics are going to be? His teams aren't exactly known for their sexy football.

So you would replace our current manager who guided us to third in his only full season with us. Playing some of the best football we've played in 15 years.

If, and thats a big if in my opinion, we are still in the same position come the end of the season.

I have a feeling that if we finish around 9th or lower that McGhee will walk anyway, so it would really come down to who was available and who would be willing to come to Motherwell.

Someone of the stature of a Billy Reid or a Bobby Williamson would be what we would attract I reckon.

Why do you come on and tell us everyday how good Mark McGhee has been for us, and dish out all these claims. Not trying to be harsh, but to say McGhee has made us financially secure is just a lie.

The guy wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the club giving him a massive rise in wages. It wasn't because he 'loves the club so much' he didn't go to Hearts, he successfully used that to get more money out of our club.

McGhee hasn't done a thing for our finances, the reason we are now operating at almost a profit, or at least breaking even is down to John Boyle. Sure he's alienated 70% of the suppport in the process, but there you go.

I was talking about your chairman, John Boyle, being frugal, so doon you go.

Someone of the stature of a Billy Reid or a Bobby Williamson would be what we would attract I reckon.

Correct me if wrong, we haven't lost our manager as yet, so see your point in slightly bad taste. As to the stature of the two named above... Deary me, football would be way down my list of priorities if either came to pass.

Graeme Souness? Available. :P

Correct me if wrong, we haven't lost our manager as yet, so see your point in slightly bad taste. As to the stature of the two named above... Deary me, football would be way down my list of priorities if either came to pass.

Graeme Souness? Available. :rolleyes:

Hey, I hope we don't lose our manager at all, as I don't think we would be likely to attract someone as good as McGhee again, but I get the feeling that if we finish near the bottom, he could end up leaving.

I wouldn't want to see that happen though. I don't think he's become a bad manager overnight.

Saw this on http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/ and nearly fell off my seatlaughing.

RANGERS/MOTHERWELL NEWS

Here's a wee rumour I heard in the Rosevale the other night that seems to be gathering legs.

With Motherwell sitting joint bottom of the SPL with the likes of St Mirren, ICT and Hamiltion, the panic button is ready to be pushed as there is a real fear they my drop to the 1st division.

The Motherwell board are losing patience with Mark McGhee and are looking to replace him with Super Ally McCoist!

This is certain to happen if Motherwell don't take 6 points from their next two games against Caley and St Mirren.

Walter Smith has strongly encouraged this as he seems it as the perfect learning oppertunity for Ally who will replace Smith at the end of the season if he can steer Motherwell to safety.

This is 85% likely to happen.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

– BillyBlue

While I don't think there is any truth in the rumour, I think that if we were to appoint an inexperienced manager then I wouldn't actually mind us appointing Coisty. He's got decent experience as an assistant manager and I think he will make a good manager one day. Any team which appoints All will instantly become the scottish media's cuddly team and Ally must have some decent contacts and would be able to pick up some decent players. Thinking about it - we could do a lot worse were we to part company with McGhee (which I doubt at this moment in time).

Just listened to the 5 minute interview with McGhee over on the BBC website. I fully back McGhee and still believe he is the man to turn our fortunes around. He thinks he should have the backing of the fans - as do I.

But there are a few holes in the interview that concern me:

He states that if Porter does leave in the next transfer window it would give him some money to replace him, yet if he does not go we will have to go forward with the squad that we have.........mmmmmmmmm.........what happened to these 50 players he was looking at, even as supposed loan deals they would surely strengthen the squad.

Next he states that he feels we are doing as well as can be expected given we are missing 3-4 1st team players. That worries me even more. Firstly it does not stack up. Now even I can understand that you would expect the team to perform better with a full strength side, but I wish someone would point out that Killie were missing arguably 3 of their best players in Taouil, Fernadez, Bryson and then had Invincible taken off with injury.

He goes on to state that the team are feeling sorry for themselves. It sounds to me that MM is feeling sorry for himself. Time to wake up smell the roses and motivate the team to get out of the malaise they find themselves in.

I hope he can turn this all around - but stop making excuses and get on with it!!

I must admit to being disappointed in Mark McGhee's comments on tv earlier

One thing i like about him is his general honesty,but to point to injuries/suspensions for our poor run i can't accept

Both of these aspects are part of football&the team has had only one long term injury with suspensions hardly a huge problem

Maybe if we had any kind of squad depth&competition for places we would be better off,but at the moment commitment looks to be lacking,amongst other failings

The players in the team are capable of much better&have to start proving it ASAP

Just listened to the 5 minute interview with McGhee over on the BBC website. I fully back McGhee and still believe he is the man to turn our fortunes around. He thinks he should have the backing of the fans - as do I.

But there are a few holes in the interview that concern me:

He states that if Porter does leave in the next transfer window it would give him some money to replace him, yet if he does not go we will have to go forward with the squad that we have.........mmmmmmmmm.........what happened to these 50 players he was looking at, even as supposed loan deals they would surely strengthen the squad.

Next he states that he feels we are doing as well as can be expected given we are missing 3-4 1st team players. That worries me even more. Firstly it does not stack up. Now even I can understand that you would expect the team to perform better with a full strength side, but I wish someone would point out that Killie were missing arguably 3 of their best players in Taouil, Fernadez, Bryson and then had Invincible taken off with injury.

He goes on to state that the team are feeling sorry for themselves. It sounds to me that MM is feeling sorry for himself. Time to wake up smell the roses and motivate the team to get out of the malaise they find themselves in.

I hope he can turn this all around - but stop making excuses and get on with it!!

What he said. This is all very worrying. Difficult not to be with so many contradictions being flung our way. Now we're getting the excuses aswell. Don't know if nyone noticed, we were rank even with Craigan and Clarkson in the team!!!

• 6 years later...

McGhee actually reminds me more of McCleish than Malpas because no matter how pish a team he puts out, he'll give the media a few soundbites after the game to keep them sweet, and there'll never be a bad word written about him. A journalist who was interested in doing his job properly would be asking some really difficult questions at this stage and tearing him to shreads, but because he's a media whore it doesn't happen. Nobody has asked him why he has failed to sign a centre half in three transfer windows, or why there was no replacement for McCormack waiting, even though he knew he was leaving at least six months before he did. He also needs to be held accountable for having no plan B whatsoever and for being incapable of positively influencing a game with a substitution. His time is coming to an end, and fast.

Frazzle

This was all correct at the time, and from his interview last night at least part of it is still true now.

Aye, I hate it when managers are articulate and good and dealing with journalist's stupid and transparently leading questions.

At least he's not irritatingly sarcastic, I'll give him that.

What I was actually referring to is that we have three days before a game against the best team in the country, McGhee said himself that he'll get most out of his players when he's with them, yet he's giving everyone a day off today while he's away to Sussex. When it came up in conversation he made a wee joke and everyone moved on. Textbook McGhee, exactly as I remember him.

• Like 3

Eleven pages of the shitstorm from December 2008, some interesting points mirroring exactly what was said about Baraclough.

To be fair, you'll probably find exactly the same comments about any one of our previous managers. Football fans aren't exactly known for having long memories.