Mark McGhee

jazz

You could say that about pretty much every manager we've had since I started following Motherwell 40 years ago, mind you. Billy Davies and Terry Butcher have had about three decent seasons between them elsewhere, and that's about it.

Whether you rate him or not Alex McLeish won 9 trophies and did well with the national team.

Did anyone else notice graham Alexander sitting in the main stand on Saturday ?

I didn't but he was reported to have been a candidate for the Kilmarnock job so it would have made sense for him to have been there assessing his potential new charges.

I believe he was also at Dens Park during the week, again you would suspect assessing future opponents should he have got that Killie job.

I don't mind McGhee either.

A lot of the time he is right and people just don't like the brashness of it. However when he gets it wrong his arrogance/utter self belief does grate.

Hearts he completely fucked it but the majority of other problems recently have been down to player mistakes and brain collapses.....not tactics.

• Like 1

What McGhee needs to do is a video telling us about his favourite dinosaurs and that should get the fans back on side.

Also wonder if it's the same old yins that booed 'arrogrant' Tommy McLean season after season until of course he won the cup.

If the managers position becomes some kind of personality contest, as it seems to be at the moment, then we are well and truly fucked.

What McGhee needs to do is a video telling us about his favourite dinosaurs and that should get the fans back on side.

Also wonder if it's the same old yins that booed 'arrogrant' Tommy McLean season after season until of course he won the cup.

If the managers position becomes some kind of personality contest, as it seems to be at the moment, then we are well and truly fucked.

Granted, the unwelcome volume of abuse coming from the stands is escalated due to him being a very unlikable man that burned his bridges 7 years ago.

However, the reason for the current criticism is for poor decisions and failure to take responsibility for such poor decisions on the majority of occasions. Not dissimilar to his poor spells at Aberdeen and Bristol.

I personally wouldn't give him abuse at the game (afterall he is not to blame for the appointment) but criticising his managerial ability on here is fair game IMO.

The thing is though that, taking personality out of it and McGhee is not covering himself in glory at the moment. Publicly criticising players , contradicting himself in interviews, playing some baffling formations and being out thought by the likes of Lee McCulloch on Saturday.

You make the joke about dinosaurs and it reminds me that you were a strong critic of Ian Baraclough. What would your view have been if Baraclough had put in the same performance as McGhee has since the start of the year?

Ian Baraclough's Motherwell comfortably beat ICT in the first game of the season. Fast forward six months and ICT seem to have taken a step forward when Motherwell have gone backwards. McGhee himself made a big play on this before the ICT cup game. This is not about personality it's about performance.

For what it's worth, my belief is that the problem lies with the players. McCall, Baraclough and now McGhee have all been (or are being) shafted by players that just don't care enough. I happen to believe that all three (Baraclough included) are decent manager being let down by a poor squad of players.

Granted, the unwelcome volume of abuse coming from the stands is escalated due to him being a very unlikable man that burned his bridges 7 years ago.

However, the reason for the current criticism is for poor decisions and failure to take responsibility for such poor decisions on the majority of occasions. Not dissimilar to his poor spells at Aberdeen and Bristol.

I personally wouldn't give him abuse at the game (afterall he is not to blame for the appointment) but criticising his managerial ability on here is fair game IMO.

Criticising his managerial ability is fair game but there are an awful lot of people who aren't really interested in his managerial ability and are simply using the first available bad spell to air old grievances.

It helps no and in fact hinders any potential recovery when the club is in a very difficult position, on and off the field. Instead of supporting, far too many people have the knives out.

Don't tell me what's happened at Fir Park in recent weeks didn't have any effect on the players on Saturday.

Criticising his managerial ability is fair game but there are an awful lot of people who aren't really interested in his managerial ability and are simply using the first available bad spell to air old grievances.

It helps no and in fact hinders any potential recovery when the club is in a very difficult position, on and off the field. Instead of supporting, far too many people have the knives out.

Don't tell me what's happened at Fir Park in recent weeks didn't have any effect on the players on Saturday.

I agree entirely. Unfortunately the easiest way to get fans back in side is with a result or two. If that fails to materialise by the time we leave Perth on Saturday then it's something the club has to address.

McGhee at this point in time, is being out managed by the Archibalds, McCullochs, Hartley's etc etc. Guess it's upto him to show his ability matches his ego and he is a cut above these guys. Clocks ticking....

How long have Archibald and Hartley had to build their squads?

I don't particularly like the guy from what I've read, however I'm sure if I dealt with him face to face regularly I'd have a different opinion. I'm sure he'd be cordial and pleasant in the flesh. Perception and reality rarely match up in our digital age.

His management style is autocratic and not matey like the previous two. Good, I prefer that.

Am I wanting McGhee to win a popularity contest? Not really, it would be nice if he did but I'd rather he won manager of the month.

Can he be at fault for some of the recent mistakes? Yes but as much as he was instrumental in the win at Parkhead and our run in December. Football is a game of fine margins and we've had a particularly crappy run in January.

What hasn't helped him and has aided the anti bandwagon is the team selection at times which your ordinary fan finds baffling.

Do I think we'll see what he's made of after a summer clearout, 6 weeks of punishing pre-season and his own targets coming in ... undoubtedly. I just hope the season opener isn't against Alloa, finishing 11th is almost certain relegation this term as the three top teams in the Championship are a different entity to last year.

• Like 3

finishing 11th is almost certain relegation this term as the three top teams in the Championship are a different entity to last year.

It will be a lot tougher, however, Killie recently managed a draw at Ibrox in the cup, so maybe there is a glimmer of hope. In saying that, the very same Killie side cut through us like melted butter, so maybe not for us.

Do I think we'll see what he's made of after a summer clearout, 6 weeks of punishing pre-season and his own targets coming in ... undoubtedly. I just hope the season opener isn't against Alloa, finishing 11th is almost certain relegation this term as the three top teams in the Championship are a different entity to last year.

Don't disagree, but I really wouldn't have fancied our chances last year had it been Hibs and not Rangers that we faced over 2 legs.

I don't particularly like the guy from what I've read, however I'm sure if I dealt with him face to face regularly I'd have a different opinion. I'm sure he'd be cordial and pleasant in the flesh. Perception and reality rarely match up in our digital age.

His management style is autocratic and not matey like the previous two. Good, I prefer that.

Am I wanting McGhee to win a popularity contest? Not really, it would be nice if he did but I'd rather he won manager of the month.

Can he be at fault for some of the recent mistakes? Yes but as much as he was instrumental in the win at Parkhead and our run in December. Football is a game of fine margins and we've had a particularly crappy run in January.

What hasn't helped him and has aided the anti bandwagon is the team selection at times which your ordinary fan finds baffling.

Congratulations, you've written down my thoughts for me, cheers lad.

Possibly. Depends what it is, really. If its a Pterodactyl he can fuck off, it's just a fancy bird. Unsure on Kaiser after he claimed his was a T-Rex, that's just too easy mate, get some taste.

Pterodactyls aren't even dinosaurs, they're pterosaurs. (And pretty much unrelated to birds, which existed at the same time.)

Wings and flew, fancy birds.

Either way, Flow is on the case, we should have an answer later.