Scouts

Mitch

Noticed a scout looking bloke with a Geordie accent outside the ticket office picking up a couple of tickets for tonights match and also a guy with Wolves gear on wondering about having a chat with Brian Rice (Falkirk).

Not sure who he would take on that performance but I assume Porter was the man they were here to see (with the exception of Rice as he was probably only there to take in a scouting report for a future match).

Whether we like it or not, guys like Hughes, Porter, etc are the best standard of player we can realistically hope to have in our team after January as McGhee has proven now that he can only sign a decent player if JB gets his cheque book out.

Now that it looks like another Euro jaunt is out of the question then these guys will be working their ticket and we really will be in deep shit.

Frazzle

Now that it looks like another Euro jaunt is out of the question then these guys will be working their ticket and we really will be in deep shit.

Surely if they were working their ticket we would get a better performance out of them!!!

Noticed a scout looking bloke with a Geordie accent outside the ticket office picking up a couple of tickets for tonights match and also a guy with Wolves gear on wondering about having a chat with Brian Rice (Falkirk).

Not sure who he would take on that performance but I assume Porter was the man they were here to see (with the exception of Rice as he was probably only there to take in a scouting report for a future match).

What do they look like? Big chins and horns with a tint of red in their face?

Guest JohnnyDefault
What do they look like? Big chins and horns with a tint of red in their face?

Nah! They have beige shirts with loads of badges for cooking, archery and stuff, funny hats, a neckarchief, a woggle - and run about shouting dib dib dib - apparently

Aye, you're right. What I mean is, I think the ticket is worked already. Porter, Hughes and Quinn I all fully expect to be gone come January. I also expect McGhee not to replace them and I expect a very long next five months.

Frazzle

I am almost certain this will not happen! Why would any manager let 3 of his best players go AND not replace them!! The we would be left with 11 players who could comfortably start a first team game and even some of them havent played much this season!

I dont care what you think of Quinn, Hughers or Porter this season (I personally agree they have been crap!) but they are among the best we can realisticly get on our budget and the empahasis should be getting them performing back to somewhere near last seasons level and not getting them out ASAP, that wont help us at all!

As someone else pointed out to me last night - Who said they were there to watch any Motherwell players?

Like you I assume it must've been Porter they were their to see and if it was I doubt many would gamble on him on last nights performance.

1) That was not in January

2) They were 'replaced' fair enough with nowhere near good enough quality or in a like for like basis but Sutton/O Brian came in to try and fill out the squad at least!

There is no way we are gonna let 3 players go in Jan and bring no1 in! Although now ive said that it will blatantly happen! :lol:

Guest JohnnyDefault
1) That was not in January

2) They were 'replaced' fair enough with nowhere near good enough quality or in a like for like basis but Sutton/O Brian came in to try and fill out the squad at least!

There is no way we are gonna let 3 players go in Jan and bring no1 in! Although now ive said that it will blatantly happen! :lol:

368_sm.gif

Yeesss! It will!

Smith seems to be the only player this season that has performed above average so far this season. Too many under performers this year. Unless boyle opens up the funds don't see any big improvments in the squad. Unless hughes and porter etc improve it is very unlikely they will get a move down south. As of in january cant see any big name signings been unleashed

On the subject of scouts. Is there something wrong with our own scouting network. I don't mean about the scouts themselves as they have picked out a few local gems over the years, but the actual set-up.

Why is it Killie can find players like Taouil and get Pascali from Parma? Dundee Utd got Gomis and Swanson from Division 2 or 3 and have players like Sandaza and Zaluska.

Even St. Mirren managed to find Andy Dorman.

But it seems no matter who we have in charge , after they have been here a year or so we always end up looking at the same sort of players and almost always in Scotland and England. Even Sutton this year was a Malpas target last summer.

We always seem to end up with players like O'Brien, McLean, Smith who get released from the OF youth teams, granted some of these have been successful, or it's players leaving other SPL clubs or players who used to be in the SPL and struggled down south.

EDIT: I also note we could do much worse and be like Falkirk with signings like Lee Bullen, McNamara,McCann and Olijnek.