'well Sign Wishaw Wonderkid

numpty

Could be a while before we see him in the first team, mind you...

Motherwell Beat Top Clubs And Sign Up Young David

May 21 2009 by Andrew McGilvray, Hamilton Advertiser

MOTHERWELL have beaten both of the Old Firm and a host of English sides to the signature of Wishaw wonderkid David Turnbull.

The nine-year-old midfielder was with Newmains Hammers for four years and came to the Fir Park club’s attention after scoring in every game for the last year – despite being a year younger than his team-mates and opponents.

Hammers coach Alan McNeil is delighted with David’s progress and said: “David has grown into a very talented footballer and I genuinely believe he is destined for the top.

“I have a good relationship with Stuart Ogilvie, a youth scout at Motherwell, and I was delighted when he told me David was to sign.

“I’m sure Motherwell will have a tough time in the future keeping the big guns of Scottish football at bay.

“I know this because over the past few weeks my phone has been ringing constantly from SPL teams enquiring about David.

“Teams like Aberdeen, Falkirk and – this weekend – both Rangers and Celtic have all been desperate to land him.

“I honestly couldn’t be happier for David. He’s a great lad with a great attitude and is a dream to coach.”

Motherwell’s head of youth development, Gordon Young, was pleased to have secured the services of the Lammermoor Primary School pupil.

“I was becoming concerned that we might lose David as I know there are a number of other clubs keen to take him,” he said.

“I am absolutely delighted and I’m sure he’ll do pretty well here.”

Meanwhile, Motherwell have handed two-year senior contracts to teenage defenders Shaun Hutchinson and Jonathan Page.

Hutchinson (18), previously with Wallsend Boys’ Club, made his debut in Saturday’s 3-0 win at Hamilton, while Page (19), a former Portsmouth trainee, has been involved in several first-team squads this season.

I know thats exactly what I thought!

The kids voice is still to break.

I always think at about 15 or 16 you really know the potential of a player. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems daft to think a 9 year is going to become a great player.

Fair play to Motherwell though for signing him to their books - best place for the lad!

Let's chuck him in on Saturday and see how he does.

Naw, what if he has a rush of blood to the head and lunges two footed into a 50/50 with Gavin Skelton and sees red. Then where would our European aspirations be? Think about it before you start posting shit! :nod:

I always think at about 15 or 16 you really know the potential of a player. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems daft to think a 9 year is going to become a great player.

Fair play to Motherwell though for signing him to their books - best place for the lad!

You're a bit late signing players at 16! Clubs nowadays invest millions in kids under the age of 10 and by 16 decide if it is worth it. In many leagues, across Europe and the world there are 16 year old making their debut for the club. Accies have both given McArthur and McCarthy their debut at 16... a bit late trying to sign someone when they are already old enough to play professional football.

You're a bit late signing players at 16! Clubs nowadays invest millions in kids under the age of 10 and by 16 decide if it is worth it. In many leagues, across Europe and the world there are 16 year old making their debut for the club. Accies have both given McArthur and McCarthy their debut at 16... a bit late trying to sign someone when they are already old enough to play professional football.

i think the point is not that you should wait til kids are 16 to sign them up and more that you should wait til they're a bit older before you put articles about them being wonderkids in the local paper. this boy might make it or he might not but this kind of article isn't going to help him.

i think the point is not that you should wait til kids are 16 to sign them up and more that you should wait til they're a bit older before you put articles about them being wonderkids in the local paper. this boy might make it or he might not but this kind of article isn't going to help him.

agreed, alll the best for the wee lad and hope to see him grace our beautiful new turf in the near future :lol:

Hope the young lad does well and I am glad to see we are looking for young talent as we have a long line of history of good young talent that has come through the ranks at Motherwell.

From what I've seen, there are quite a few talented boys throughout the age groups at Fir park, from the 1999s right through to under-19s. The club generally don't shout about them to avoid putting too much pressure on them... and to avoid, especially as they get older, the Press putting too much pressure on them (I remember doing an article for a local paper about the Motherwell youth system and being asked by the club not to mention a 15-year-old called Jamie McFadden).

Also, different boys mature as players at different rates or reach their potential at dfifferent ages, so it is difficult to be confident at an early age which ones will make it all the way and which ones will drop just short.

This boy does seem to be good for his age (albeit with a more active PR agent that some of the others) and so good luck to him and all of the other promising youngsters at Fir Park - and long may we keep them out of the clutches of the Ugly Sisters in Glasgow. :lol:

• 9 years later...
On 5/22/2009 at 12:04 PM, johnstone said:

This is why I am not a football scout!!

• Haha 2

Rumours, and they are just that as far as I'm concerned, have been circulating for weeks now that David Turnbull will be offski in the summer.  IF that comes to pass it wouldn't surprise me.  Another big if; if bids are received I'd be looking at a club record transfer fee for him. 

13 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Rumours, and they are just that as far as I'm concerned, have been circulating for weeks now that David Turnbull will be offski in the summer.  IF that comes to pass it wouldn't surprise me.  Another big if; if bids are received I'd be looking at a club record transfer fee for him. 

Yes, if he goes it’s going to be for big money, what is the record transfer fee received ?

There is a real chance of Turnbull generating a record transfer fee for Motherwell. In order for this to materialise however, he needs to stay with us until at least Dec 19 and prove his ability against the bigger teams. 

Sadly though, I can see numerous clubs making offers in the summer that may prove too tempting for player and club. 

As an aside, if he’s determined to have a strong end to the season, he may have an outside chance of making the Scotland squad for Cyprus/Belgium double header in June given the inevitable calls offs. 

If anyone makes an offer in the summer, they'll need to match our valuation. Given how much we brought in for Kipré, and the fact the Turnbull is signed until 2021, I don't think we'd sell ourselves short with any transfer fee.

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

If anyone makes an offer in the summer, they'll need to match our valuation. Given how much we brought in for Kipré, and the fact the Turnbull is signed until 2021, I don't think we'd sell ourselves short with any transfer fee.

Just a case of how many millions, unless he has a clause in his contract stating a certain figure triggers talks.