• Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info Charlie. Your quote below is a classic.

"He is a controversial fellow, though. For the last 18 months or so he'd refused to speak to Sky Sports (there's a story that it was because he had a broken Sky box that they wouldn't fix)".

:nod::wub::lol:

Thats my kind of manager!

As I said elsewhere, there was more to it than that. But he is a very, very stubborn man.

Thing is though, this summer we will actually HAVE a decent budget and need to go out and buy and sign at least SIX or SEVEN players if Clarky goes - More if Quinn and Reynolds go too. Is Gannon the man

Two players - Anthony Pilkington and Oli Johnson - were signed from clubs in the 9th tier of English football. Pilks took a couple of years to develop (as I say on the P&B site, trust Jim for a couple of years with players and you'll get your reward) but when he did, he was amazing. Sold in January in a fire sale for about £350k, if it weren't for the money problems he'd easily have been going for a million this summer. When we played Swindon away on a Tuesday this season, he put in the best individual performance I've seen in a County shirt... and I've seen a lot of good players.

Likewise Johnson, who's lauded as Find Of The Season in this month's FourFourTwo. And there's many other players plucked from nowhere, aswell.

At Edgeley Park, he had lists & lists of players for every position, for every eventuality - whether he'd have money to spend or no money, whether he could only get them on loan, whether he needed someone to make an impact or whether there was a spot available in the U21 development squad. He pulled so many rabbits out of the hat that he deserves membership of the Magic Circle.

(I know it might seem like I'm his PR guy, but every single Stockport County fan will tell you the same things about him)

One final bit on this point - when he went to discuss with Brighton about taking over there, he already knew about their squad and when he sat down with their chairman he told him which players needed to go and which areas needed strengthening and who he'd bring in - he had it all mapped out already, so I'll be amazed if he hasn't got a good idea what he's giong to do at Fir Park already. (He wasn't too impressed with their chairman, plus they offered him less than he'd initially been led to believe, so he turned them down)

From all we hear about him, Gannon certainly seems like he brings a fair bit to the job. The only negative comment I've heard about him is from a fan of another league two team who said that he tends to do a fair bit of moaning in the media after the game if things don't go his way. Our very own Jim Jeffries?

The Stockport fan who said that Gannon kept lists of players for every position, we might well need that kind of list right now. The fact that he seems equally willing to give youth a chance might well be a good thing for the situation we find ourselves in. He'd have been a very close third choice for me, but I'm happy with his appointment. Perhaps that says more about the quality of candidate than anything else. I'd have been happy with any one of four or five that have been mentioned...

he tends to do a fair bit of moaning in the media after the game if things don't go his way.

Bit harsh to be fair, he's certainly made a lot of controversial comments but they're usually quite justified. He'd often criticise pitches or, most usually, officials - it's very much to his annoyance that a game you spend all week preparing for, with so many professional people putting lots of effort into it, ends up being decided by the incorrect decisions of a man whose day job is a traffic warden. Get ready to hear the word 'professionalism' a lot.

Bit harsh to be fair, he's certainly made a lot of controversial comments but they're usually quite justified. He'd often criticise pitches or, most usually, officials - it's very much to his annoyance that a game you spend all week preparing for, with so many professional people putting lots of effort into it, ends up being decided by the incorrect decisions of a man whose day job is a traffic warden. Get ready to hear the word 'professionalism' a lot.

are you Jim Gannon?:D

• 6 months later...

Also have to factor in that we are in a totally different situation now to the one we were in in June. Then we had to quickly assemble a squad. Now we have to get a squad to pull together and get results in difficult circumstances. For me, Craig Brown is not suited to the first situation but is tailor made for where we find ourselves now...

I don't think we should get sum1 in lyk Jimmy Calderwood! Yeah we need sum1 who knows the Scottish game well but we also need sum1 that has much more than just SPL experience and that has contacts and could make sum good additions to the squad from down south and the lyks. Also it would be nice to get sum1 in that understands the fans as well. Either Luc Nijholt or Gary Mac for me!

I didn't realise this poll started before Gannon came, I just thought the poll originator was being cheeky putting Gannon in.

Anyway, I'm happy enough for wee Broon to take over for now and see how he goes. I'd still like Luc to take over full time, what i don't want is Calderwood/Williamson or any of the other usual suspects who've whored themselves round the SPL achieving the square root of fuck all to be given another chance to produce mediocricy and bponce about mid-table talking as if they're actually achieving anything.

As much as I respect Jimmy Calderwood, we shouldn't be looking to him in the long term. When his term at Aberdeen was winding down, he kept going on about how he needed to look for a fresh challenge outside of Scotland and that he was getting bored with the SPL.

Not the sort of outlook required.

Am i the only one who doesn't get this Luc Nijholt wish?

Mayby im wide of the mark but the guy doesn't exactly seem to have a massive knowledge of the SPL or Managment as a whole. Would be a risky appointment,especially when the team we have is full of inexperienced players aswell.

Not at all.

Nijholt has done absolutely nothing to merit this bizarre campaign to get him in as gaffer.

I for one would be very disappointed if he was appointed. I can't see it happening though, thankfully.

Mayby im wide of the mark but the guy doesn't exactly seem to have a massive knowledge of the SPL or Managment as a whole. Would be a risky appointment,especially when the team we have is full of inexperienced players aswell.

A cracking left back, although by that mark we should also interview Tommy Boyd, Rab McKinnon and Joe Wark.

I would be absolutely delighted if George Burley was our next gaffer.

There are plenty of managers out there who are purely international gaffers and can't cut it at club level such as Bora Milutinovic. I reckon Burley's the opposite - a very good club manager who just doesn't have the correct attributes to succeed in international football.

His failure as Scotland boss doesn't change the fact that he's a very good club manager, and a very nice guy as well - which would be the complete opposite of Gannon!

I would be absolutely delighted if George Burley was our next gaffer.

There are plenty of managers out there who are purely international gaffers and can't cut it at club level such as Bora Milutinovic. I reckon Burley's the opposite - a very good club manager who just doesn't have the correct attributes to succeed in international football.

His failure as Scotland boss doesn't change the fact that he's a very good club manager, and a very nice guy as well - which would be the complete opposite of Gannon!

Don't think we could match his ambition Jay. He would be looking for a large salary and also a fair budget to achieve more than the odd top 6 finish.

Don't think we could match his ambition Jay. He would be looking for a large salary and also a fair budget to achieve more than the odd top 6 finish.

Oh aye, I admit it would be unlikely - but it would be a fantastic appointment if we could pull it off.

That said, there would still be idiots on here claiming he wasn't good enough!

I've heard from a couple of folk that it will be Burley.

His stock has gone down since the Scotland job but I would take him in a heartbeat.

International jobs are different in that you have no real control over the players on a day to day basis and that is where I think George Burley's strengths lie.

He built a strong team at Hearts and he could potentially do the same for us.

He won't have the same financial resources as at Tynecastle but I'm sure that won't put him off applying.