• Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nijholt now has two years more experience in a management situation than he had then, and the most recent of tose under a top world-class manager. He's got to be a serious candidate, certainly worthy of an interview and serious consideration. Gannon would look like a superb appointment too.

Has there actually been any serious mention of Nijholt being the new manager, or is he just still being said to be many people's preferred choice?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I wasn't willing to sit and read through 33 pages to see if it had. :O

Come on boyle, get Luc in..

Certainly the fans' choice on here, but what of his experience? I know nothing of the guy, but his record as reported on this thread is nothing to write home about. This is no time for sentimentality, getting the best man possible is the thing. Could he take you forward ?

Looking at the names on that list he'd be very favourably received. I know nothing about Gannon but would take Luc way bove any others in this poll. Apart from yon Mr Other fella, no' sure about him either.

That's me Calfster, and I'm doing ok for a novice :O

Gannon would give you a real shot in the arm, he worked miracles at Stockport (not far from me) and they are gutted he had to go due to their financial crisis. Young, hungry, he would create a buzz about Firk Park. If you could get him, it would be a bit of a coup.

Given the noises coming out of Rugby Park aboutnew signings for next summer, I wonder if Jeffries might call it a day at Rugby Park.

I doubt things are not much better at Fir Park but I would like to think that whoeever comes in will be able to make a fair few signings to replace the out of contract lads.

I know a lot of fans don't like Jeffries but he has mellowed over the years and if he becomes available, I'd like to see us pursue him. And he can bring Kyle, Bryson & Kiegan Parker along with him.

Other than Jeffries, Gannon or McCart would be my preferred choices.

I know a lot of fans don't like Jeffries but he has mellowed over the years and if he becomes available, I'd like to see us pursue him.

Absolutely fucking shocking that you are that drunk at this time of day, Lobey! :O:O

So far, the only names to really stcik out as interesting (to me) are Luc and Gannon. There is NOBODY in the Scottish game I'd want for us right now.

I vaguely recall that David Byrne character from his Partick days and want no part of him.

Of the names mentioned I could live with Nijholt, Gannon, McAllister or McCart. Don't want Calderwood or Jeffries. There may be other candidates out there who could do a job that we know nothing about. I have a funny feeling it will be an 'unknown' out of leftfield that gets it. Interesting times...

Just having a quick look around the paper sites to see who we're being linked with and found this from the Sunday Herald site.

It's an interview with Luc that provides a little bit more info on what he has being doing and what he sees his next step as being.

Terminator salvation

LUC Nijholt has urged Motherwell to get in touch with him regarding the vacant manager's job at the club. The Dutchman, who is still fondly remembered from his role in the club's 1991 Scottish Cup winning team, is out of work following a successful season as assistant manager to Co Adriaanse at Austrian champions Red Bull Salzburg and has emerged as an intriguing and credible candidate to replace Mark McGhee, who left for Aberdeen this week.

His competition for the role includes Gary McAllister, Derek Adams, Terry Butcher and Chris McCart but Nijholt has told the Sunday Herald he would be interested in a return to Scottish football - assuming, that is, that the Fir Park club's board can match his ambitions.

From his time as a youth coach at AZ Alkmaar, to a three-year stint as a manager in his own right at down-at-heel Dutch club Stromvogels/Telstar, Nijholt has prided himself on developing youngsters. But a little bit of cash for experienced players would help too. And with two other nameless clubs, neither of them Dutch, also interested in his services, Motherwell - already facing a July 2 start to their Europa League campaign - have another incentive to get things moving sooner rather than later.

"Absolutely it appeals to me to get back into working as a manager again," Nijholt said. "I have to think about it, but I definitely want to come back to Scotland one day. Whether it is this time or the next time I don't know yet. I need to speak to my UK agent this weekend and work out if I will apply. On the other side, Motherwell have my number because I applied two years ago for the job. They should have my number somewhere.

"It also depends what kind of future the club has," he added. "I am used to working with young players - all those I work with are always pleased and they always give me a lot of compliments - but it depends on what the club want to achieve."

For all the ifs, buts and maybes, the Dutchman's mind this week already seemed to be working out the logistics of the role. Nijholt kept his home in Holland during his season in Salzburg, but - save his 19-year-old son Gianluca, who is a youth team player at FC Utrecht - would have no problems uprooting the rest of his family should he end up in Scotland.

"The last time my family stayed in Holland, when I went to Austria, so that is key as well," Nijholt said. "They will be travelling as well if the club decides that it wants to take me."

Nijholt was a steely character during his playing days - YouTube footage exists of him inviting Roy Keane to have a square go during his time at Swindon - and a season in the presence of coaching royalty in the form of Adriaanse has clearly rubbed off on him.

That all came to an end when Adriaanse declined the Ajax and Alkmaar jobs to take a sabbatical from the game, but the 47-year-old Dutchman feels Motherwell would be landing a manager with the same belief in attacking football and a strong disciplinarian streak if they go down the foreign route.

"At the moment Co is on holiday,"

Niholt said. "He wants to have a wee break although whether it is a sabbatical or just a few months we don't know yet. But he told me before I started working with him that one or two years working with me then you go your own way' because he rated me quite highly and said that I had to be sure to move on to be a coach or a manager somewhere.

"We worked together at AZ when I was doing the youth policy there and we are quite similar.

We like attacking football and we are disciplined coaches. In terms of personality we are different, but as coaches we are similar. That is the reason why we have worked together twice already. This year we reached the championship so we managed to reach our targets."

Nijholt would be a popular, if somewhat left-field, choice among the Motherwell fans. In addition to his failed attempt at the job prior to the appointment of McGhee, he was back at Fir Park as recently as last summer to participate in the Phil O'Donnell tribute match. It was an emotional occasion, especially considering that O'Donnell named one of his sons Luke, at least partly in his team-mate's honour. He is reasonably up to speed with the club's playing staff and recent results, and his English is almost flawless.

"I played a part in an excellent team and an excellent squad, we were a lot of friends together," Nijholt recalled. "And of course, the biggest prize we won was the Scottish Cup in 1991. I am always keen to watch how Motherwell are doing. They didn't start that well this season but they finished very well."

The only downside of Nijholt's CV is the fact that he has only spent three years outright as a manager, during which he narrowly missed the Eredivisie play-offs during his time at Stromvogels/Telstar. "It was one of the poorest clubs in Holland," he explained. "We had to work with young players, and although we played some lovely football, we needed just a little but more money to spend. But it was still a good experience. I picked a small club because I wanted the experience of being a manager. I could just have signed another contract there but I decided to move on, because three years was a long time for me."

Nijholt's fiery playing style at Fir Park earned him the nickname The Terminator'. He might just be the man to end their search for a new coach.

10:21pm Saturday 13th June 2009

Also noted a story stating that the two Jimmy's would consider both the Falkirk and Motherwell jobs.

Reading that article on Nijholt, he makes a strong case for himself. Although as I said when I read that Feyenoord had apparently been interested in January, I think he may get better offers than Fir Park. With his son playing for Utrecht, one of the two jobs in Holland may appeal more.

Like I say a decent pedigree, is fond of the club and wants the job. Goes some way to explain why he's a popular choice...

While I have refrained myself from the hype that surrounds Nijholt on these boards, that article certainly gets the juices flowing.

There would certainly be an overwhelming sense of anticipation at the beginning of the season.

Looks like he would be looking for a few quid to bring in a few experienced lads. Not so sure Boyle will be able to pull a Porter/Hughes rabbit out the hat this time.

Report in scumday mail suggests Macallister would take the job for myself i think this would be a mistake as he he would be another Magoo off at first opportunity IF he was a success 10 managers in last 7 years says it all the club MUST get this right and Gary mac is wrong direction.

Report in scumday mail suggests Macallister would take the job for myself i think this would be a mistake as he he would be another Magoo off at first opportunity IF he was a success 10 managers in last 7 years says it all the club MUST get this right and Gary mac is wrong direction.

McAllister is no McGhee. Ambitious maybe but he wouldn't whore himself in a McGhee type manner.

As much as I adore McAllister though, I do question his management record. In saying that, guys like Fabian Delph are full of praise for the influence of McAllister.

It frightens me that Gianluca is 19. Luc lived just down the road from me when he was here - Gianluca was knee high to a grasshopper when he left. Cor its unbelievable how much has happened since then. THe man is a total gent. I did a project on him at school just after we won the cup and he wrote something for it.

Would love to see him back but it has to be because he is the right man not on a sentimental card and being honest I haven't really paid a lot of attention to him in recent years so hoping Boyle will do his homework before doing anything (but do it quickly!)