• Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Sanchez wants it, Sanchez will get it.

I'm intrigued to here that Mio has been mentioned though.

I could have envisaged him coming back to the club along with McCart but he doesn't appear to be in with a shout.

I think you might be right about Sanchez though I don't know how much of an impact the Setanta debacle will have (as with any appointment). If Sanchez outlines plans in his interview that sound a wee bit on the grand side, impressive as he might be, Boyle might be inclined to go with a guy who sounds more youth orientated/long-term in his interview.

Could Krivokapic be the dark horse, not mentioned til the end, then unveiled two days later? Possibly. His record with Philliben, as others have pointed out, wasn't terrible but that was some time ago and for those complaining about Nijholt's lack of experience, Krivokapic has been working at an even more junior level of coaching.

The thing that John Boyle will know is that McAllister, Nijholt and Krivokapic will have an advantage over the two Irish guys. Their previous association with the club will buy them more time and goodwill with the fans. If we are going to be working with a thinner budget and squad than previously thought, this might be a factor in any appointment...

I'm sorry, that's ridiculous. People should be allowed to have an opinion on whether minutes' silences are an appropriate way to respect the dead. I don't have a strong opinion myself, but will respect others' right to have one. Phil O'Donnell's legacy should be to celebrate all that is good about football, not demonise someone like Calderwood who happened to express an unpopular opinion. Why can't supporters be rational, are we idiots or savages or something? :nod:

I read that first time and thought huuuuuuuuge can of worms opening. My thoughts on it are - he is fine to have an opinion about minutes silences/applauses - to bring it up relating to one person (whoever they were) days after their passing was stupid and insensitive. And to say Phil O'Donnell's legacy is the demonisation of Colin Calderwood is a lot of bull as well. Phil's legacy is that he was part of a cup winning provincial team, league winners, internationalist, all round good family guy. The demonisation of CC (the term demonisation is an overreaction in the first place) is because CC said something incedibly stupid.

He made a daft statement when people were hurting so its natural there is a dislike there and I would be disappointed if he was the next man in charge, but if it came to pass that he was then we all should get on with it. Do you think Phil would want the fans deserting Motherwell because the manager said something daft about minutes silences just after his passiing?

However there are many better names in the ring than CC so I doubt its even going to be an issue.

Lighten up guys ! Late entry

Mo Johnston " Motherwell are the only club I've wanted to manage"

:nod::lol: :lol:

Sorry you feel that way - I don't post on here to upset people. It won't happen again.

You don't have to apologise for having an opinion, LI. You can say what you like. Messagebaords would be rather dull if everyone was in agreement on everything.

Anyway, what's the latest in the Sunday papers up there? Has anyone emerged as the front runner ? :nod:

New manager will be announced tomorrow.

Have stayed pretty quiet on this as my brother is on the shortlist of people to get the position.

He says he is hopeful of getting the role and can't wait to get working with his assistant manager.

Apparently the shop has a nice outlook with Edinburgh Castle in the background.

Edited by Well-Made
Oops wrong thread :o)

Have stayed pretty quiet on this as my brother is on the shortlist of people to get the position.

He says he is hopeful of getting the role and can't wait to get working with his assistant manager.

Whoooosh? :nod:

Is the last line a riddle?

No riddle.

Look at the edit stating wrong thread and a smile next to it.

My brother is waiting to hear about a mangers role in a shop in Edinburgh. This thread is about managers that we'd get.

So I thought I'd lighten the mood of the thread as the last couple of posts before it were basically decrying posters for having opinions.

I'm sorry, that's ridiculous. People should be allowed to have an opinion on whether minutes' silences are an appropriate way to respect the dead. I don't have a strong opinion myself, but will respect others' right to have one. Phil O'Donnell's legacy should be to celebrate all that is good about football, not demonise someone like Calderwood who happened to express an unpopular opinion. Why can't supporters be rational, are we idiots or savages or something? :O

Phil O'Donnell was a man and a player for whom no-one had a bad word, it showed in the the general out pouring of grief at his passing the tributes and eulogies all attested to his warmth, kindness, and humility. The generosity of eberyone throughout teh footballing world was heartwarming at such a sombre time, I cant be the only Motherwell fan who found a tear slipping down his cheek as he watched James McFadden score for Evertyon and run towards the crowd pointing to his black armband. The one dissenting voice in all of this was Calderwood, that's probably the reason he is being so vilified. No-one is denying that Calderwood deserves an opinion, but surely, if only for decency's sake, he should have kept that opinion until after it was all over and then made it public. By voicing his opinion at the time and in the way he did " the fact it was a boy from Scotland" was condescending to say the least, and was seen as a personal attack on Phil O'Donnell. In retrospect who can blame them.

The only really ridiculous thing is that Colin Calderwood had the gall to apply for the position in the first place.

By voicing his opinion at the time and in the way he did " the fact it was a boy from Scotland" was condescending to say the least, and was seen as a personal attack on Phil O'Donnell. In retrospect who can blame them.
It was seen as a personal attack on Phil O'Donnell by some. I actually understood the point he was making, albeit he didn't express it very well. While I found the tributes paid to Phil around the grounds to be quite moving, in general I'm not a big fan of public outpourings of emotion and find it completely arbitrary as to who the population at large decides who is worthy and who is not.

How many fans and players in the SPL paid their respects to Anton Reid or Matt Gadsby? Or does the fact they were just 'boys from England' mean their deaths were somehow less relevant?

Having said all that, I wouldn't want Calderwood at Fir Park - but purely for footballing reasons.

It was seen as a personal attack on Phil O'Donnell by some. I actually understood the point he was making, albeit he didn't express it very well. While I found the tributes paid to Phil around the grounds to be quite moving, in general I'm not a big fan of public outpourings of emotion and find it completely arbitrary as to who the population at large decides who is worthy and who is not.

How many fans and players in the SPL paid their respects to Anton Reid or Matt Gadsby? Or does the fact they were just 'boys from England' mean their deaths were somehow less relevant?

Having said all that, I wouldn't want Calderwood at Fir Park - but purely for footballing reasons.

I understood the point he was making as well, but he couldn't have got it more wrong if he'd tried.

His use of language, his timing, and his lack of sympathy, all at a time that was very emotional for most Motherwell fans, did him no favours.

As I said, I can understand the point he was making, but I can also understand why Motherwell fans see him as a pariah.

To be honest I'm with them on this one, thoughtlessness is one thing, stupidity quite another.

While the discussion is on about Calderwood I might have thought that after his statement about the O'Donnell silence that someone in the football would have made him aware of the upset he caused.

Surely he wouldn't be so niave to think he could say what he said and stroll into Fir Park and be welcomed warmly as if nothing had ever happened would he?

Or is it the case that he's just using the Motherwell job to remind the football world that he still exists? That he has no inclination whatsoever to manage Motherwell but has put in an application/got an agent to release some info/called in a favour from a hack to put his name in the papers?

I do actually wonder how many of these seemingly bizarre reports like "John Robertson declares interest in Motherwell job" that you get when a job comes up are actually genuine declarations of interest.

I see from today's Sunday Herald that Luc Nijholt has said that he knows he is a candidate and will come for an interview if asked. For me this means one of three things; 1. The quote is a few days out of date as we appear to have started the interview process 2. Nijholt will not be getting an interview or 3. We are not as far along the interview/selection process as we might have hoped. My gut instinct is telling me number 2, Nijholt will not be in the frame. Which is a bit sad really because I think he was definitely one of the candidate who would have brought something new and fresh to the table.

Lobey Dosser stated on the 'Latest Rumour' thread (which thread are we supposed to be using??) that he felt that he understood that Sanchez was top of the list by some distance. I've certainly got the impression from the forum that since Sanchez's name came up, a lot of people seem convinced that he's the best candidate for the job. I've not seen any evidence that John Boyle thinks that (he is playing his cards very close to his chest, so I don't know how anyone could definitively say who is leading the race). Personally I'm not sure he's the best man for the job, but he's certainly a good candidate.

Given that Nijholt appears out of the running to me, my prefered candidate by some distance would be Gary McAllister. Not because of his previous ties to the club. In our financial situation we're going to be relying on loan deals from bigger clubs and bosmans from the english lower leagues. For me, McAllister has the best group of contacts for the former and the best first hand knowledge for the latter. We don;t really have time for a new manager to go and have a look at players he might be interested in. I also think in our predominantly Scottish squad, he would immediately command respect. Sanchez would not horrify me. Staunton would make me apprehensive. McAllister would excite me...

I see from today's Sunday Herald that Luc Nijholt has said that he knows he is a candidate and will come for an interview if asked. For me this means one of three things; 1. The quote is a few days out of date as we appear to have started the interview process 2. Nijholt will not be getting an interview or 3. We are not as far along the interview/selection process as we might have hoped. My gut instinct is telling me number 2, Nijholt will not be in the frame. Which is a bit sad really because I think he was definitely one of the candidate who would have brought something new and fresh to the table.

Lobey Dosser stated on the 'Latest Rumour' thread (which thread are we supposed to be using??) that he felt that he understood that Sanchez was top of the list by some distance. I've certainly got the impression from the forum that since Sanchez's name came up, a lot of people seem convinced that he's the best candidate for the job. I've not seen any evidence that John Boyle thinks that (he is playing his cards very close to his chest, so I don't know how anyone could definitively say who is leading the race). Personally I'm not sure he's the best man for the job, but he's certainly a good candidate.

Given that Nijholt appears out of the running to me, my prefered candidate by some distance would be Gary McAllister. Not because of his previous ties to the club. In our financial situation we're going to be relying on loan deals from bigger clubs and bosmans from the english lower leagues. For me, McAllister has the best group of contacts for the former and the best first hand knowledge for the latter. We don;t really have time for a new manager to go and have a look at players he might be interested in. I also think in our predominantly Scottish squad, he would immediately command respect. Sanchez would not horrify me. Staunton would make me apprehensive. McAllister would excite me...

Whilst i take your points on board melvin, I really dont think we can count anyone in or out of the job, and can treat sanchez being a shoe in as hear say.

There is also absolutely nothing to suggest that nijholt is out of the running, I think at times like this, we are all guilty of making assumptions, then we all jump on the bandwagon and run away with ideas of gary mac turning it down, sanchez being the favourite, nijholt out the running.

The club have been as tight as a ducks arse on this, and with no official word on even a shortlist everything is mere speculation, as boring as it is I dont think anyone on here can say anything for sure until mr boyle and co make a comment hopefully sooner that later!.

one positive thing is craggs seems to think we will have someone appointed this week, with him taking training id think he would have a bit more info as to the likelyhood of when someone and who that person maybe appointed!