• Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I am concerned Mark McGhee is our manager until he actually says he is going! Not any budgies grannie or pal of a pal who heard from the Ice cream vanman . He has stated on several occasions that he has a job to finish here so let him get on with it :woop::)

When Malpas left, Gary Mac said he wasn't interested in managing a team with resources as limited as ours. Considering we will likely have less now than we had then (thanks to the new pitch), I doubt he would be interested.

Been reading through some of the names suggested by folk and its making me really worried.

Must admit, mcghee was a shrewd investment by boyle, however I dunno if it was just luck or genuine good advice by his advisors. Boyle has learned a lot since he took over and I hope that we can rely on him to pull another rabbit out the hat.

My thoughts on some of those mentioned:

John hughes, he has just nearly relegated falkirk (who are a similar sized club to ourselves) so why people see him as an option is beyond me. He invested money in old timers who were struggling big time.

Butcher left on a bit of a stale note. Yes he will always be remembered as the man who kick-started motherwell from the brink, however it was time to move on. He's also just relegated inverness whilst being given plenty of opportunities to guide them out of it.

Nijholt - he would be a gamble, but even more so than mcghee was, as he's not had the experience mcghee had as a manager.

After reading the list of available managers on the LMA website, yes there are some good ones, but i'm afraid they will probably be well out of our budget. Guys like aidy boothroyd, steve coppell and paul jewel have all got good CV's however could motherwell secure any of them on a deal? probably not. The only realistic option then for motherwell is to take another gamble. . .

Eli Shivute

What a guy.

shivute.jpg

I'll wait and see if McGhee leaves.

how about this one - DEREK ADAMS, did no bad at ross county, young manager ex-well player, we could do a lot worse

Has he not developed a nasty habit of punching the young laddies when results don't go his way? I wouldn't be remotely interested in having Adams back at Fir Park.

ive thought about billy reid aswell there are lots of people getting branded about out of them all my own personal choice would be jimmy calderwood as has a predigree knows a good player and has contacts also been in euurope with the dons this is all speculation as no one knows if mmg will go or not i just hope it doesnt drag on for most of the summer and we end up getting no players in and r up shit street :P

Celtic

A number of Celtic supporters that work beside me have all said that if MM is appointed they would regard it as worse than having Strachan staying on. They all seem to want a foreign manager to progress them in European terms.

Aberdeen

It seems that Jimmy Calderwood was fed-up losing players due to lack of money (sound familiar) and having to re-build season after season. He wanted the board to increase the wage structure to help hold onto players and give him some transfer money but they refused. Seems they wanted him to bringing in young players and blend them with a few experienced ones that they want to retain. He decided no and so the parting of the ways.

Names being mentioned for their post (apart from MM who IMO will end up there) are Eric Black, Darren Ferguson and wait for it...... Paul Sturrock!!!

Motherwell

Paul Sturrock is apparently desperate to come back up to Scotland so, if MM does exit why not make an approach to him?

Celtic

A number of Celtic supporters that work beside me have all said that if MM is appointed they would regard it as worse than having Strachan staying on. They all seem to want a foreign manager to progress them in European terms.

Aberdeen

It seems that Jimmy Calderwood was fed-up losing players due to lack of money (sound familiar) and having to re-build season after season. He wanted the board to increase the wage structure to help hold onto players and give him some transfer money but they refused. Seems they wanted him to bringing in young players and blend them with a few experienced ones that they want to retain. He decided no and so the parting of the ways.

Names being mentioned for their post (apart from MM who IMO will end up there) are Eric Black, Darren Ferguson and wait for it...... Paul Sturrock!!!

Motherwell

Paul Sturrock is apparently desperate to come back up to Scotland so, if MM does exit why not make an approach to him?

Seems a fair assessment.

Any Celtic fan I talk to is totally underwhelmed by talk of McGhee as their next manager and if anything Strachan's alleged recommendation will only cause his stock to fall further among their fans. If Celtic have money to spend, McGhee has no chance. If they are hard up, then someone like him or Levein, used to working within a tight budget might be their choice.

Aberdeen are cutting back, true, and this is why Calderwood wanted to leave. But the reason this might not put off McGhee is that Aberdeen on a tight budget will still have more spending power than Motherwell on a tight budget. I think Aberdeen fans (in common with some Celtic fans) are kidding themselves on with some of the names. Ferguson wouldn't touch it, and I don't think Black would either. Sturrock would be a reasonable shout both for Aberdeen and ourselves should McGhee go. My only concern would be Sturrock has a habit of leaving jobs undone...

Seems a fair assessment.

Any Celtic fan I talk to is totally underwhelmed by talk of McGhee as their next manager and if anything Strachan's alleged recommendation will only cause his stock to fall further among their fans. If Celtic have money to spend, McGhee has no chance. If they are hard up, then someone like him or Levein, used to working within a tight budget might be their choice.

Aberdeen are cutting back, true, and this is why Calderwood wanted to leave. But the reason this might not put off McGhee is that Aberdeen on a tight budget will still have more spending power than Motherwell on a tight budget. I think Aberdeen fans (in common with some Celtic fans) are kidding themselves on with some of the names. Ferguson wouldn't touch it, and I don't think Black would either. Sturrock would be a reasonable shout both for Aberdeen and ourselves should McGhee go. My only concern would be Sturrock has a habit of leaving jobs undone...

I think Sturrock is a very good manager but I thought he may be wanting to call it a day due to his health.