• Craig Brown (None) + Young Assistant
    • Davie Hay (Livingston) + Young Assistant
    • Stephen Craigan (Motherwell) - Player/Manager
    • Jim Jeffries (Kilmarnock)
    • Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

In my opinion people are letting their hearts rule their heads when it comes to Nijholt. I've not been following his manegerial career particularly closely but I've got a feeling it would be a disaster.

Jimmy Calderwood is the stand out on that list for me. Proven track record and in similar circumstances to ours.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davie Hay!

With whats available if McGhee leaves we could do alot worse. Had a successful reign at Fir Park before albeit in the First Division but i think he would be a decent choice.

Sad to say I am not overly enamoured about any of the names in the poll. That is the problem - either has beens or never will be's. Why would Jimmy Calderwood take us over after leaving Aberdeen - that would be a step backwards in his eyes.

Dave Hay and Tomm McLean???? I would much rather have Butcher back , at least he managed us in the recent past not in pre-historic times!

I actually wanted Coyle when McGhee was appointed, but I still was aware he had a pedigree and potential, not sure the same can be said for the supposed contenders.

Leitch is likely to follow McGhee up the road. But if not maybe he and an experienced assistant would be able to cope?

God only knows!

Was never enamoured by Jock Wallace, still blame Hay though for the demise of that early 80's championship winning squad. :rolleyes:

To my mind he didn't have the bottle to take us into the top flight, did well to turn Ally MacLeod's team into winners kind of similar to Noah's achievements of a fashion but Hay definitely ruined any momentum we had by leaving like that. Wallace was just a fud.

Wouldn't mind John Collins taking the hot seat to try and get his stock up a little bit. Mark McGhee did it. Don't want Tommy Craig any where near Fir Park though.

Eric Black would be another one I could see back at Fir Park. he will never leave Steve Bruce though.

Whats Luc record as manager like anyway ?

Interestingly most of the people who have voted for him in this poll could not answer that question for you. A serious case of heart ruling the head. Not saying he'd be a poor manager. But had he not played for Motherwell and his managerial CV was submitted for the job, I suspect it would be fired in the bin...

Interestingly most of the people who have voted for him in this poll could not answer that question for you. A serious case of heart ruling the head. Not saying he'd be a poor manager. But had he not played for Motherwell and his managerial CV was submitted for the job, I suspect it would be fired in the bin...

Exactly my point mate, was only wondering like.

Tango man.

I have to add at this point that my last post was not having a go at Luc Nijholt. Never would I hear a bad word said about my favourite ever Motherwell player. Maybe that's part of the reason I don't want him to get the job. As Frazzle posted in the thread suggesting Colin O'Neill, do we really want a Motherwell legend to tarnish his status?

Looking at that list, I don't think there's anyone who would win universal approval. Having said that, I think Luc would be a populist appointment. He would get time (as other Well legends would - though he's the only one I reckon is a serious candidate) that a manager without previous connection to the club would. And it's not like the Shearer appointment at Newcastle, he has experience coaching. I just don't know if what's going to be a tough season next year is the right time for an experimental but populist appointments...

I'm really quite surprised at Jimmy Calderwood's popularity. He had buckets of (virtual) cash at Dunfermline whilst rivals like ourselves were cutting back. That gave him a temporary advantage. He then went to Aberdeen and achieved little given his budget. Would anyone say the current Dons side was attractive or particularly successful? He constantly moaned that he needed more cash there. Does anyone think he'd get it at Fir Park? If so dream on. I think JC is a complete non starter

I'd love to see Luc Nijholt in charge but if my head rules my heart then Craig Brown has the experience to guide us through the next few months. Not only that but he claims to be a Motherwell supporter, and an Accies fan, or anyone else from Lanarkshire.

Of the top of my head, he did well with the youth system at AZ Alkmaar, ( the fruits which have shown this season) then went onto Stormvogels and worked fairly well with a bottom end team and no budget, and was headhunted to join Red Bulls for his coaching ability.