• Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, what we need now is a manager who has proven himself and has the experience to bring the club. We've taken chances before and they have not worked out well, hopefully we learn from the lesson and bring in a new manager who knows what he wants from the players.

Fair play Craigan has been a great servant to the club but he doesnt have that experience and as Iain so rightfully said it could drag us down.

I'm going to say right now Craig Brown or Tommy McLean would be my choice - with a second in command being groomed to take over in a couple of seasons, whether that be Stephen Craigan or someone like that I'm not overly bothered.

We need an experienced campaigner at the helm.

Stuart.

Some of these names give me the total fear, like McCall, Pressley, Lennon etc.. :wub: Others are less than inspiring like Williamson, Leitch, Butcher.

However, Big Luc Nilholt is ONLY A PHONE CALL AWAY!! <_<

We should give him a chance. Like others have said, some young Dutch talent (I mean footballers not cock sockets) in a team on a European tour and playing on the best surface in the SPL would do me!!

Do it MFC!!!

If Craigan has the passion for the job(and the coaching badges) then mibbes. My bigger concern is that we need him fully focused on the playing side still.

Get the feeling he is eyeing up a media career rather than a coaching one. Seems intelligent enough lad and might well make a good manager but seems a bit young. Potentially a good number two for the new guy maybe.

For me the stand out candidate who we might actually be able to afford is Stuart Baxter. Now theres an argument that he might be happy with Finland, but...........if he submitted his CV it would blow all other likely candidates out the water.

No way in hell is Stuart Baxter going to come to Motherwell when he is so close at doing something with Finland that no other manager ever has. Finland are third 2 points behind Russia who are second with the Russians to play in Helsinki on Wednesday. Saying that, if they lose then maybe have a chance, but if Finland win that match then there is no way in hell he's going to give up on the chance of being the first man to lead Finland to the World Cup.

Just abvout all other names mentioned other than McAllister, Calderwood or Gannon would pretty much ensure I wont be back while they are there.

Why? What the hell have you got against any of them or Motherwell FC that you would turn you back on the club?

Nope do not want this. Craigan may very well turn out to be a good manager but his inexperiance could drag us down to the times of Malpas again.

Agreed. This would be unacceptable as far as i'm concerned.

I think we have made it clear we don't want another 'promotion' from inside the club as our team manager. If Leitch wanted to stay on as assistant then fine, if Craigan was to become Assistant/Player then fine but we need a new man in. Apart from inexperience a 'promotion' doesn't shake the squad up and everything remains a bit stale.

The Malpas era was a perfect example of this.

Also, given that we know some of the powers that be in the club read these very boards, appointing from within when it is clear our feelings on such an appointment would be a catastrophic act of folly.

Why? What the hell have you got against any of them or Motherwell FC that you would turn you back on the club?

Nothing against our club obviously. But all the others mentioned are hopeless.

People keep going on about getting in someone with experience then go onto mention people like Billy Reid or Brian Reid who have only ever managed at a lower level and pretty much all of them have a terrible record in the top division.

Some people are just drama queens I suspect.

I see Ian McCall get bashed a bit and I not his biggest fan, seems like a bit of a fud. But his record isn't all that bad, didn't set the heather alight at Utd but otherwise generally does a decent job in the circumstances.

Craigan hardly wanted to be captain and said he couldn't concentrate on his own job - why would he want, player + captaincy + manager role? <_<

I agree that I don't think it would be right but, maybe one day we will see him in the 'Well dug out as manager. As everyone has said and is saying we need a experience guy and possibly Craigan as no 2.

Mark McGhee had never managed at the top level though unti us? And as has been pointed out neither did he have a 100% great CV. although that tends to happen if you win promotion with clubs you manage. Gannon is a well respected manager down south, and only the fact Stockport went broke ended his career there. At least give the guy (whoever it is) the first month of the season before judging him.

I agree with it also but do you think he would be interested in us if.........?

Like I said depends on the Russia result. If they win then write him off. If not then there is all possibility of him looking for away out of Finland as there would be no way back.

:wacko: Will someone PLEASE merge all these Lennon/McCart/Leitch/etc... manager threads ma heids bursting... :wacko: ...there's one popping up every minute now...!!

I have merged all Manager topics into the large almost 20 page topic.

Please, I know it is silly season but can we try and keep the discussion in one place or we will be saying the same thing in multiple threads.

Also,

on Lennon - No, no no no no and no!

on Craigan - Great player but 1. I think his heart is set on TV and 2. I would hate for his reputation with me, and many other Motherwell fans be ripped apart because of his failure as a manager as he was thrown in the deep end. Don't mind him becoming a full time coach or Assistant though

I would absolutely love John Collins to take over, though that would appear very unlikely!

Other than that, I would be relatively pleased with McCall. A manager with a point to prove would be my favoured option, similar to the 'damaged goods' McGhee was when we gave him the opportunity to get his foot back in the door!

A guy like Collins would be brilliant for our young players, and would ensure they are prepared as athletes! I reckon his main problem with Hibs was that most of the players are/were complete neds, and reckoned they are/were some kind of superstars!

I would absolutely love John Collins to take over, though that would appear very unlikely!

Other than that, I would be relatively pleased with McCall. A manager with a point to prove would be my favoured option, similar to the 'damaged goods' McGhee was when we gave him the opportunity to get his foot back in the door!

A guy like Collins would be brilliant for our young players, and would ensure they are prepared as athletes! I reckon his main problem with Hibs was that most of the players are/were complete neds, and reckoned they are/were some kind of superstars!

Aye I am sure Collins taking them aside and showing them his six pack will do wonders for our Under 17's/19's. Sure his ability as a manager done wonders for Hibs too...

Mark McGhee had never managed at the top level though unti us? And as has been pointed out neither did he have a 100% great CV. although that tends to happen if you win promotion with clubs you manage. Gannon is a well respected manager down south, and only the fact Stockport went broke ended his career there.

I think McGhee managed in the Premiership for about 2 minutes at Leicester, after joining when they were bottom near the end of the season. But I wouldn't really count that. He did however have a decent record getting teams out of League 1 into the Championship and had done pretty well in the Championship too.

Gannon, I agree, is a bit unknown but seems to have a good reputation down south and would at least constitute us 'thinking outside the box' in our appointment.

McCall, Reid, Williamson etc. would be a bog standard appointment from us just looking at all the usual suspects. Absolutely no imagination what-so-ever, and nothing for anyone to get excited about. Don't like any of them and really not impressed by the record of any of them in the SPL. The only one with a half decent SPL record is Williamson, but his teams play terrible football.

Perhaps I would warm to the idea of one of them, depending on who it was.

I think it was Cakes, (or was it MelvinBragg?), who at the end of last season said he had lost a bit of enthusiasm towards games. I'm kind of feeling the same currently, as I did when He Who Shall Not Be Named took over, and, I suspect, that if it was one of the Williamson, Reid, McCall gang being appointed would then it would not do too much to change that.

Edit: Is John Collins not the favourite for the Monaco job?

Is it only me that thinks Hughes, isn't very good? :wacko:

Anyway, I really don't know who I'd want to be the next Motherwell manager, none of the names so far really fill me with much confidence. I think it'll be another McGhee & Leitch partnership, someone that knows the club to experience but, who will be McGhee and who will be Leitch (maybe Leitch will be Leitch? :wacko:) I really don't know.

Is it only me that thinks Hughes, isn't very good? :wacko:

Nope. I'm delighted he's gone to Hibs.

Can't stand him, and still remain to be convinced that his teams actually do play good football as I've yet to witness it.

nae point in saying john hughes as he's at hibs now!!

he would've been great for us i think

hughes and nijholt combo!

Why the hell would a guy like Hughes be good for us?

- His football is excellent to watch aslong as his team stay in their own half

- He wasted the largest budget out of all the teams below us - signing McBride, Bullen etc.

- He then wasted an extra amount on Lovell and Elvis doubling the amount the like of ICT, Hamilton and St Mirren had to spend

- He survived relegation on the last day of the season because of ICT having a man sent off and a fantastic save by mallo

- He refused to change tactics for 75% of the season despite them no working

- While Falkirk were rock bottom he tried to get out by whoring himself to every job that came up in England