• Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking at some of the names - mccart? he's on a great job at celtic i really don't see him leaving that for a crack at managing a full team, infact i don't remember him ever registering his interest in being a club manager,but i may be wrong.

Craig brown....suerly must be enjoying retirment to much to come out and manage a club like motherwell with nothing to spend,nae real appeal either - seems like to much hassel for him in my opinion.

I don't know anything about luc nijolt and his managerial credentials either so im reluctant to comment but would he come to motherwell?

Craig brown....suerly must be enjoying retirment to much to come out and manage a club like motherwell with nothing to spend,nae real appeal either - seems like to much hassel for him in my opinion.
Actually, there was an interview with Brown in one of the papers recently where he said he'd be happy to come out of retirement.

I said Nijholt, but John Collins would be a great appointment IMO. All the shite about showing the six pack etc... was blown all out of proportion. The fact that he is a dedicated pro, has experience both here and in Europe, was a top player and seems to be a highly thought of coach is bringing me round more and more in his favour. As for showing his build to U17/U19 teams, nowt wrong with it. He would simply be pointing out what a professional athlete SHOULD be built like.

I think it was Cakes, (or was it MelvinBragg?), who at the end of last season said he had lost a bit of enthusiasm towards games. I'm kind of feeling the same currently, as I did when He Who Shall Not Be Named took over, and, I suspect, that if it was one of the Williamson, Reid, McCall gang being appointed would then it would not do too much to change that.

Twas me, big fella, and like you if Bobby Williamson or Ian McCall is posing with the claret and amber scarf next week, I suspect my enthusiasm would not be flooding back. A picture of Luc Nijholt assisted by Tommy McLean on the other hand, might give me a stauner...

For all the mistakes JB has made over the years, it seems that he at least learns from some of them. After pumping a load of cash into the club and spending it in the wrong places, for example, he has managed to get the finances on an even keel.

Similarly, with managers. He has tried a few approaches and his biggest mistake was Malpas (although there was some logic to that too). Credit to JB that for his next appointment he brought in experience with McGhee and had a lot more success. I'd be surprised if he didn't try to build on that approach and look forward to seeing the real shortlist when it's eventually leaked to the press!

On a complete tangent, whatever happened to the Scottish press referring to a 'short leet' of managerial candidates? That was always the preferred phrase when I was a lad :wacko:

I'd take John Collins in a minute, but cannae see him comin to us.

Aye. He's being lined up as the new Monaco boss. Seemed to do relatively well in Belgium. Monte Carlo or Motherwell-a tough one.

Don't really have any strong opinions on who we get as the new manager,someone with a hint of expierence would be nice though.

Twas me, big fella, and like you if Bobby Williamson or Ian McCall is posing with the claret and amber scarf next week, I suspect my enthusiasm would not be flooding back. A picture of Luc Nijholt assisted by Tommy McLean on the other hand, might give me a stauner...

Yep. If we get the Nijholt/McLean team in, it would definitely have me looking forward to the season ahead and I'd be doing everything I could to make sure I didn't miss a game.

Aye. He's being lined up as the new Monaco boss. Seemed to do relatively well in Belgium. Monte Carlo or Motherwell-a tough one.

Don't really have any strong opinions on who we get as the new manager,someone with a hint of expierence would be nice though.

Collins got snubbed for the job so could maybe be on the radar.

I don't know but I'd maybe take a punt on Calderwood, a new challenge for him but also worth a shout would be Gary McAllister. Former Well player, would maybe see abit of unfinished business.

also worth a shout would be Gary McAllister. Former Well player, would maybe see abit of unfinished business.

McAllister said he didn't want to start as low on the ladder as Motherwell just before we appointed McGhee, I wouldn't take him if he was paying us.

Why is everyone so keen on Nijholt, what are his achievments in management?
I'm with you Eddie. He took over Telstar in 2005. I'm not sure when he left, but the club's league position since then has been:

2005/06 - 16th

2006/07 - 10th

2007/08 - 14th

2008/09 - 17th

LIke I said in an earlier post, the hard stats are none too impressive. He would obviously come in on good terms with the fans, and might be successful with a passing game, but it sounds risky to me.

I'll have a pint of whatever the guys proposing Steve Coppell are drinking. :wacko:

I don't think Billy Davies is a possibility, either.

Of those who might realistically be in the frame, I still think Jimmy Calderwood might be able to do you a good turn. Offer him unlimited use of Motherwell's largest sunbed emporium and I think he'd take it.

Interesting trawling through Falkirk Fora. Names such as Russell Latapy, Steven Pressley, Ian MacCall and Jim Calderwood are cropping up in connection with their job. Billy Reid and Jim Gannon also being mentioned. Who would believe it?

I'm with you Eddie. He took over Telstar in 2005. I'm not sure when he left, but the club's league position since then has been:

2005/06 - 16th

2006/07 - 10th

2007/08 - 14th

2008/09 - 17th

LIke I said in an earlier post, the hard stats are none too impressive. He would obviously come in on good terms with the fans, and might be successful with a passing game, but it sounds risky to me.

Actually they are. Hmmm the season Nijholt isn't there is their worst season of them all...

Actually they are. Hmmm the season Nijholt isn't there is their worst season of them all...
Bizzarely though, thanks to the weird way the Dutch league works, that 17th position has taken them to the playoffs, while the other spots in prior years did not.

I haven't had time to research why.

Bizzarely though, thanks to the weird way the Dutch league works, that 17th position has taken them to the playoffs, while the other spots in prior years did not.

I haven't had time to research why.

...a true geek would have researched BEFORE posting ..... :notworthy:

I'll have a pint of whatever the guys proposing Steve Coppell are drinking. :notworthy:

I don't think Billy Davies is a possibility, either.

Of those who might realistically be in the frame, I still think Jimmy Calderwood might be able to do you a good turn. Offer him unlimited use of Motherwell's largest sunbed emporium and I think he'd take it.

There is absolutely no chance of Billy Davies leaving a massive club like Nottingham Forest to come back to Fir Park. My favoured choice would be Ian McCall, like him or loathe him he has done well with limited resources everywhere he has been. He had one bad season at Dundee Utd which all managers can surely be allowed. I don't want Paul Lambert, he is unproven and has everyone forgotten how badly he did at Livingston and then he chucked it when the going got tough. No thanks.