• Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bizzarely though, thanks to the weird way the Dutch league works, that 17th position has taken them to the playoffs, while the other spots in prior years did not.

I haven't had time to research why.

After each 8 or 9 games the team that is top of the league (over those 9 games - not overall) is given a playoff place. So technically you could win your first 9 games (or even 7 and two draws) then lose every other game and end bottom but still have a place in the promotion playoffs. Do you never play Football Manager? :notworthy:

You guys are gonna be fucking beeling if Niholt doesnt get it aren't you??

The guys a legend yes, do I want him as manager? Honestly, I don't know. Apart from the wank fest on here about him today I wasn't really aware of his managerial history/prowess.

Whoever Boyle gets in, I just hope he does asgood a job as he did 2 years ago.

The Sun

FORMER Motherwell stars Gary McAllister, Paul Lambert and Chris McCart are all in the frame for the Fir Park hot seat.

Well chief John Boyle will start his search for a new boss as soon as Mark McGhee's move to Aberdeen is sealed.

And Boyle has been alerted to a string of top names who could be tempted back to Lanarkshire.

Boyhood fan McAllister, who began his career with Well, was interviewed for the job before McGhee's appointment two seasons ago - but opted to stay in England.

However, he has been out of football since being sacked by Leeds last Christmas and is keen to return to management.

Lambert, currently at Colchester, would also be a popular choice with the Well supporters.

And local hero McCart - who heads up Celtic's youth set-up - has a host of admirers inside Fir Park after almost two decades with the club as player and coach.

Others eyeing the job include two other former Well stars, Derek Adams and Luc Nijholt, while Celtic coach Neil Lennon is viewed as an outside bet with Steven Pressley.

Guest 'Flow

Not really - Mark McGhee is still, at this moment in time, our manager and reports suggesting we’ve contacted other managers are simply not true...

'Flow

At a time of financial decline and squad rebuilding, Well need a manager who can galvanise the club. For me, ex players like Niholt or McCart fit the bill. McCall, Calderwood and Lennon (!!!!!!!!!) definately don't.

Pressley would be a repeat of the McLeish appointment in the 90s. I think the guy's got some character - but do we need a rookie coach at this time.

I voted for Niholt, be happy with McCart, but suspect the AN Other chappie will get the hot seat. McGhee? - probably not.

No need - It's a lot of nonsense!

We've still got a manager at the moment and his name is Mark McGhee.....

As much as Im a McGhee supporter, I have to admit that I reckon his position is pretty much untenable in the light of the sunday herald article.

Boyle trying to persuade him to stay?? Players would surely lose all respect for him, as the fans have been doing.

Rather than being dissapointed in him leaving, im more annoyed at the way he has done it with what he said in that article, before he was even away from Motherwell. Im also quite pissed off he hasn't thanked Motherwell once for the opportunity the club gave him to get back into management.

McGhee, thanks for the quality football and the European trip, but don't let the door hit your arse on the way out!

Not really - Mark McGhee is still, at this moment in time, our manager and reports suggesting we've contacted other managers are simply not true...

'Flow

I understand the clubs and your position Flow. However I hope, in reality, we're not as wet behind the ears as that behind the scenes and you simply just can't disclose what we're up to.

I hope we're scurrying about sounding out all potentials in the same way that West Brom and ourselves have been side swiped over the past few days - via the "third party hypothetical job offer phone converstaion".

I hope we hang onto Mcghee - however if we dont and we play hardball we could potentially get Aberdeen pay for a big chunk the new pitch and if we trust John Boyle to do the business again - have a manager in place that wants to play some decent football and lead us into Europe.

C'mon The Well!!!

No need - It's a lot of nonsense!

We've still got a manager at the moment and his name is Mark McGhee.....

:notworthy: That statement reminded me of the Iraqi information minister Flow mate!

In all seriousness though, I would hope that there would at least have been a shortlist drawn up and we're not pinning all our hopes on McGhee to stay, which lets face it, isnt going to happen.

Oh and Boyle better not even think about that clown McCall!!

I understand the clubs and your position Flow. However I hope, in reality, we're not as wet behind the ears as that behind the scenes and you simply just can't disclose what we're up to.

I hope we're scurrying about sounding out all potentials in the same way that West Brom and ourselves have been side swiped over the past few days - via the "third party hypothetical job offer phone converstaion".

I'm hoping the same. It's all very well to keep things quiet for whatever reason, but from the moment McGhee showed any interest in leaving the club, John Boyle should have been on the lookout for a new manager. It makes sense ans we don't want to be left behind especially with pre-season training starting in 13 days time.