• Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's it, I'm throwing my hat in the ring. Flow, please convey my letter of application to the very top.

To

High heid yin

Fir Park

Murrawell

Scotchland

From

Mr T Light

Steelmen Forum

Cyberspace

Dear High heid yin,

Yon joab fur manager, I'm your man. No coaching badges, no experience, in fact no fucking clue, but still better than Malpas, and you gave him a job. I don't fancy re-locating to Scotland, so I'd coach the players by telephone, if that's ok. Please ensure all training sessions take place in the afternoon because I never roll out of my pit before lunchtime, and I'll be reversing the charges for the phone calls, I'm not made of money.

Yours in anticipation of an imminent press conference,

Mr Light, OBE , Englandshire.

Reading between the lines I subscribe to the train of thought that McGhee is waiting to see exactly what happens with the Mowbray saga.

If that is the case, I wouldn't be too happy if I were an Aberdeen fan. Despite the sentimental attachment he discussed at the weekend, he doesn't seem overly enthusiastic about heading up there.

Interesting analysis. At this stage, if Mowbray doesn't go to Celtic then MMG would be Celtic's immediate choice. If true, that means Aberdeen, then Well are left hanging around waiting for others to make up their minds. How about JB taking the initiative and simply asking McGhee if he's staying or going?

I like JB stuffing Hugh Keevins with his statement regards McCall. Nice one. ;)

Chris Sutton....wasn't he looking to get back into scottish football?

The Daily Express reports he has thrown his hat into the ring.

The post above about him thinking it over and giving an answer on Wednesday seems about right to me.

Now that West Brom are playing hardball with Celtic over Mowbray and Lawell is saying he won't be held to ransom I reckon MMG still thinks there is a chance he will land the Sellick job and is holding out to see what happens there.

Whatever it ain't doing us any favours and I'm getting pissed off with all the hanging about. Either say you're staying (unlikely as far as I'm concerned ) or F*** off and let us get on with it.

Come on Luc.

He better not be hanging around. Another story in the Express is that Celtic could wait until the end of the month before getting Mowbray. Apparently, Mowbray and co. go onto a reduced contract due to West Brom being relegated. This means that the compo will come down to £1 Million instead of the £2 Million that is being asked for just now.

Bugger enthusiasm, we need a manager with a PROVEN track record at our level or higher. We've got a European campaign starting in just over three weeks, and a new league campaign a few weeks later, with a wafer thin squad and very little cash to strengthen it, plus we've just seen nearly 25% of our annual income go down the swanee today.

Now is not the time to be giving untried, untested, ex-players a wee shot at the managers chair.

I think you'll find Luc is neither untried nor untested ;)

There is way too much sentiment to old players here. As much as i loved Luc Nijholt, Chris McCart and co during their time at motherwell. I don't care if the new manager (if one is required) has a Motherwell connection. I just want someone who will keep up the good work Mark McGhee has started and gives us a style of football worthy of our new pitch.

If we can get a clone of McGhee i will be more than happy.

Lee

The only proven track record he has though is his highest finish is 10th in Division 2.

And his work with the youths at AZ Alkmaar ;) ,also his assistant coach roles where his coaching skills have proved successful :D , the reason he was head hunted for Red Bull. :D

As much as Id love to have Luc Nijholt back at Fir Park I dont really think former players make the best Managers for their former clubs.

Try telling that to McGhee and we wouldn't be looking for anyone at this present time..

And his work with the youths at AZ Alkmaar ;) ,also his assistant coach roles where his coaching skills have proved successful :D , the reason he was head hunted for Red Bull. :D

All sounds great, but as a Manager he didn't really appear to make significant headway with Telstar, leaving them in more or less the same position as when he took them over. Not knowing the team or the Dutch Second Division that may have been an achievement in itself. However, you don’t have to look outside Scotland to find a Manager with mid-table second tier experience.

What exactly was the work achieved with AZ Alkmaar? Or what is his proven track record as an assistant coach? And was he actually headhunted?

Or are these just glorified statements?

What is that we can 100% attribute to Nijholts talents in any of his previous coaching/managerial positions that would qualify him as being a successful Motherwell manager.

All I see for now is a Well Legend who has been overlooked for several managerial jobs in the past few years. (Why is that?) Maybe he is just a bloody good coach, or maybe not even that, and bearing in mind even being a good coach doesn’t make a good manager.

If Nijholt is to be a future manager of Motherwell, I really hope to be proved wrong, but for now, I would rather have someone with some sort of track record in management behind him. For all the criticism of McGhee, his experience has shown compared to the likes of Malpas, Davies and McLeish when they managed Motherwell.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...ell_hotseat.php

No actual quotes that support the headline, as usual, but here we go anyway...

Sutton has eye on Well hotseat

FORMER Celtic striker Chris Sutton has thrown his hat into the ring if, as expected, the manager's job becomes available at Motherwell this week.

Sutton, who had been linked with the vacant post at Inverness Caley Thistle in January, is desperate to get into management and has taken his coaching badges down south.

Terry Butcher, the man who got the Inverness job, has also been linked with a return to Fir Park as current gaffer Mark McGhee prepares to head for Aberdeen.

Sutton, whose younger brother John is on Motherwell's books, has spoken of his hunger to succeed in management.

"I have a lot to offer and under the right circumstances I believe I'd achieve good things.

"I'm serious about giving this a try, but I need to be given a chance. There does appear to be a number of gaffers out there doing the rounds.

"Many have failed at previous clubs, taken them backwards, yet still get offered other jobs. It's frightening really. I played 17 years at the top level and understand tactics and players."

Meanwhile, the Falkirk board have already held a meeting to establish a shortlist for their vacant managerial post.

John Hartson and Alex Rae have expressed an interest in the job, although it is believed that former Hearts and Celtic defender Steven Pressley is the favourite to land the role that John Hughes vacated.

Hartson is due to complete his 'A' coaching license in Cardiff next week and fancies putting his knowledge to the test.

However, a pairing of Jackie McNamara and Neil McCann has also been linked with the role.

"We have to protect John's legacy here," said George Craig, Falkirk's managing director.

"We need to find someone who can take us on, developing the club in a way that the supporters are happy with."

I have to say I'm totally underwhelmed by Nijholt's coaching record. I see nothing that says he'd be a good choice as our new manager. Sure, the guy was a great player for us, but that should have no bearing on him getting the top job at Motherwell. If he hadn't played for us, and his record was posted, we'd all be saying no chance. I also don't buy the 'he has loads of contacts in Holland' argument. Firstly, this is all really just made up. Secondly, we're not going to be attracting players from that league. I can see the whole thing ending up like Kampmann mark II.

Saying that, out of the available managers, I'm really not sure who I'd go for. Not McCall, he'd be my worst nightmare! We need an experienced British manager who can steady the ship, as in the upcoming season any one of about 7 or 8 teams could quite conceivable go down.

a guy just won the champions league with zero experience. being a football coach isn't that difficult. the difference between malpas and mcghee was mcghee made the players train hard and told them to pass the ball to each other and malpas didn't.

there are five guys who have walked out on the club before, an old man who wrote poison pen letters about his own assisant. john hughes is a retard, jeffreries is a miserable old c**t and calderwood is like a shiter version of mcghee (constant tactic and formation changes and players out of posistion) who blames his players for everything. no wonder luc is top.

we just need someone who is intelligent and is willing to work hard and make others do the same. as soon as we get shot of mcghee we should ask for applications and start interviewing then may the best man win.

as soon as we get shot of mcghee we should ask for applications and start interviewing then may the best man win.

Hopefully we are already doing this. I am hoping that as soon as McGhee signs the dotted line up at Pittodrie we announce our new manager. I am pretty much sold on Nijholt or an English lower-league up-and-comer. I don't think it benefits us - or Scottish football - just to see another of the same ol' managerial faces from the Scottish management roundabout.

Hopefully we are already doing this. I am hoping that as soon as McGhee signs the dotted line up at Pittodrie we announce our new manager. I am pretty much sold on Nijholt or an English lower-league up-and-comer. I don't think it benefits us - or Scottish football - just to see another of the same ol' managerial faces from the Scottish management roundabout.

i totally agree with you but i'd imagine that if we were to start the process of finding a new candidate prior to his departure it may effect our ability to claim compensation.

hopefully we'll take our time and find the right man, we're looking for someone for the next 3/4 years not for the game in 22 days.

a guy just won the champions league with zero experience. being a football coach isn't that difficult. the difference between malpas and mcghee was mcghee made the players train hard and told them to pass the ball to each other and malpas didn't.
If that was true, why not just hire me for a quarter of the salary?

If that was true, why not just hire me for a quarter of the salary?

because players have to respect the manager enough to do what he tells them. look what happened to newcastle when the players lost respect for bobby robson or le guen at rangers. the players at barcelona had looked up to guardiola since they were kids, the same thing goes for walter smith at ibrox and when mcghee came into motherwell you can guarantee the players were getting him up on wikipedia and finding out what he had done in the game.

you live in america, who are the best coaches in the NFL, college football or american football? generally it's not ex players, it's guys like bellicheck, coack k or urban meyer who have spent more time studying the game than playing it. wenger and mourinho have had success along similar paths but it seems that in football players are generally unwilling to play for some who hasn't played at a level equal to them.

1/ What exactly was the work achieved with AZ Alkmaar?

2/ Or what is his proven track record as an assistant coach?

3/ And was he actually headhunted?

4/ Or are these just glorified statements?

1/ he turned out a youth training system that would leave ours in the shade .........and ours is very good indeed :lol:

2/ Can't remember offhand who his head coaches were but each and every one of them speaks very highly of Luc. :lol:

3/ Co Adriannse (?spelling) went out of his way to entice Luc from Telstar to red Bull so yes he was headhunted :P

4/ No :D:D:D