• Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me a lot of the names being mentioned here are unrealistic. Hoddle and Keegan are two guys we could never get. Even Calderwood left Aberdeen because he was unhappy at having to trim his squad, hardly making him likely to want to come to Fir Park. Davie Hay and Tommy McLean are guys who could probably do without the hassle of full time SPL management these days (Hay just keeps getting left holding the baby at Livingston), and it could be argued they are managers from when football was a very different game (too much player power these days for wee Tommy, I reckon). I reckon Gary McAllister won't move back and if he thought the job was difficult two years ago, it's even more so now.

So who are we left with? Lambert, Nijholt, someone doing well in the English lower leagues, Chisholm, Brian Reid or Derek Adams are the realistic names being mentioned. Unless JB pulls a rabbit out of the hat again.

Is it any wonder that Nijholt out of that list is the name causing the most excitement...?

For me a lot of the names being mentioned here are unrealistic. Hoddle and Keegan are two guys we could never get. Even Calderwood left Aberdeen because he was unhappy at having to trim his squad, hardly making him likely to want to come to Fir Park. Davie Hay and Tommy McLean are guys who could probably do without the hassle of full time SPL management these days (Hay just keeps getting left holding the baby at Livingston), and it could be argued they are managers from when football was a very different game (too much player power these days for wee Tommy, I reckon). I reckon Gary McAllister won't move back and if he thought the job was difficult two years ago, it's even more so now.

So who are we left with? Lambert, Nijholt, someone doing well in the English lower leagues, Chisholm, Brian Reid or Derek Adams are the realistic names being mentioned. Unless JB pulls a rabbit out of the hat again.

Is it any wonder that Nijholt out of that list is the name causing the most excitement...?

Calderwood I think was finding the squad trimming coupled with the rising expectations hard to deal with - here the expectations would be lower.

totally agree. but hibs pulled mowbray out of nowhere on the strength of an application and interview. his appointment and first press conferences were roundly mocked but looked how well it turned out. that's what we should be aiming for.

totally agree. but hibs pulled mowbray out of nowhere on the strength of an application and interview. his appointment and first press conferences were roundly mocked but looked how well it turned out. that's what we should be aiming for.

Aye, hence my rabbit out of a hat comment. I think because of the real dearth of managerial talent in Scotland that will be available on our budget, this will be a real test of John Boyle. There is no 'obvious' candidate who meets our needs. We can only hope that someone that isn't even on the radar applies and impresses or that John Boyle really uses his imagination and pulls a blinder. His handling of the Ian McCall story suggests he's in form...

Aye, hence my rabbit out of a hat comment. I think because of the real dearth of managerial talent in Scotland that will be available on our budget, this will be a real test of John Boyle. There is no 'obvious' candidate who meets our needs. We can only hope that someone that isn't even on the radar applies and impresses or that John Boyle really uses his imagination and pulls a blinder. His handling of the Ian McCall story suggests he's in form...

again agree 100%. i honestly believe he'll have learned his lesson from the malpas debacle and will deliver again. there must be plenty of capable people out there who would jump at the chance of being motherwell manager and jb and dempster should be able to seperate them from the likes of mccall, robertson and brewster no problem.

why wid we want luc nijholt

git an expeirienced guy like jim jeffires

Whit are you on son? Jim Jeffries, he just nearly got Killie relegated and will most certainly be the first manager sacked next season. All he does is sign ex Hearts players from the cup winning team of 1998 and most of them are to auld noo so whits he gonna do now........mind you Jim "flukey goal" Hamilton is avialable again!!!!!

The Glen Hoddle shout was a joke in relation to the comments I made about the pitch.

Rest assured I think there is as much chance Glen Hoddle being the next Motherwell manager as there is my wife waking up tomorrow morning 4 stones lighter. No matter how much I wish it it ain't going to happen.

Rest assured I think there is as much chance Glen Hoddle being the next Motherwell manager as there is my wife waking up tomorrow morning 4 stones lighter. No matter how much I wish it it ain't going to happen.

If your wife reads that you'll be in big trouble! Sleep safe tonight.

Paul Lambert rules himself out of the running:

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Boloni-eme...Plan.5355083.jp

If McGhee is tempted away from Fir Park, former Motherwell player Paul Lambert – now in charge of Colchester United – has insisted he will not be applying for the vacancy. Motherwell chairman John Boyle has put together a list of possible replacements and Lambert would have proved a popular choice with the supporters.

However, the 39-year-old, who spent three years with the SPL club before he left for Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund in 1996, has quashed any suggestions of a return to Scotland.

Lambert said: "It's very flattering being linked with the Motherwell job, but I'm happy at Colchester and that's where my future lies. I love it down here and the club is fantastic. My chairman has been terrific with me and I'm excited about next season, being in England and gaining the experience down here."

Out of all the names mentioned within reason, Jimmy Calderwood looks like the 'safest' bet.

I still reckon Calderwood would prefer a chance at managing in England at the moment. For some reason, I just don't see him being interested in the Motherwell job. Would I be happy with him as manager? Well, he can positively influence a game with a substitution/tactical change so that's one up on McGhee. Unfortunately, his transfer record is as patchy as that of McGhee...

The three names that Andy Devlin mentions in the Sun this morning are Chris McCart, Gary McAllister and Luc Nijholt. Any of those three would be fine with me if we get the choice of assistant right. With McAllister and Nijholt, I reckon we'd need to find an assistant who has worked recently in the Scottish game. With McCart, I'd like someone more experienced alongside him. Thing is, all three of these guys bring with them a degree of a gamble.

However, none of the other names that have been discussed on this forum (Chisholm, Billy Reid, Brian Reid, Derek Adams) inspire much confidence or excitement.

As I've said elsewhere on this forum, this could be a tricky appointment for John Boyle to get right...

The three names that Andy Devlin mentions in the Sun this morning are Chris McCart, Gary McAllister and Luc Nijholt. Any of those three would be fine with me if we get the choice of assistant right. With McAllister and Nijholt, I reckon we'd need to find an assistant who has worked recently in the Scottish game. With McCart, I'd like someone more experienced alongside him. Thing is, all three of these guys bring with them a degree of a gamble.

However, none of the other names that have been discussed on this forum (Chisholm, Billy Reid, Brian Reid, Derek Adams) inspire much confidence or excitement.

As I've said elsewhere on this forum, this could be a tricky appointment for John Boyle to get right...

Agreeing with you alot today Melvin. Those three would be my top picks too with McCart and Nijholt being a bit ahead of Macca - but overall its an edgy situation. i'd hate it NOT to work for any of those guys.

On a more longer term look at assistant - I'd sound Craigan out! - but maybe somebody more experienced to begin with

PS - just had a thought - what if we went for Macca and the Ginger nut from the Sellick? We'd be the first team to have Macca and Lennon as a management team

I'll get me coat!

On a more longer term look at assistant - I'd sound Craigan out! - but maybe somebody more experienced to begin with

Not an outrageous idea. The nature of football being as it is, any management team will probably have a two to three year run at a club at the moment. So while this time might be a bit early for him, I think he's probably a good shout next time around...

Latest name I've heard thrown into the mix is Neale Cooper. Surely not??

Well depending how long that appointment took, we could have a caretaker manager in place for the first European game, and then im sure Neale Cooper would love a right good crack at the second leg....

(im really sorry... :) )